Apr 26, 2011, 05:51 AM
Shanghai'd Expat
Thread OP
Discussion

1:30 Graupner Wega

Anyone yet come across this 1:30 scale Wega on the market?

Graupner shows it available for 981€ but I stumbled across it today at a Shanghai hobby store that sells for considerably less. Knowing Graupner, its more of a motorsailor than true RC sailing schooner but not at all bad looking.

Here's a link to the 1:1 Wega: http://www.charterworld.com/index.ht...rter=wega-2246
Last edited by herrmill; Apr 26, 2011 at 06:42 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 26, 2011, 06:17 AM
Loa?
Apr 26, 2011, 06:38 AM
Shanghai'd Expat
Thread OP
1300 LOA, 1060 x 275 huill only. Specs line up to what's found on Graupner & Westborne-Model sites.

Also came across many more of their Premium Line on Taobao so either Graupner has a new dealer in China or some product is going out the back door... probably the latter since pricing is upwards of 40% off list.
Apr 26, 2011, 08:13 AM

Sorry, but -

- thatīs far too small for me.
Actually I hate those 1 meter "selfrestrictions" for hulls.
Thatīs about "my" size:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1357258

As far as I know, Graupner produces in China. At least partly.
Last edited by disabled; Apr 26, 2011 at 08:24 AM.
Apr 26, 2011, 08:46 AM
Shanghai'd Expat
Thread OP
Yes Graupner does buy from China. I happen to know their rc boat source quite well.
Apr 26, 2011, 09:28 AM
Damp and Dizzy member
Add a ballasted fin keel and I think she'd sail just fine. There is a lot of hull exposed, so there would be more windage than my topsail schooner Aldebaran. This would have some effect on windward performance; however, even my high-windage BottleBaltimore will work to windward if there is enough wind. Like all schooners, she would be difficult to steer w/o being able to separately sheet foremast+jibs separately from the mainsail. So, you'd need to be able to stuff 3 servos below (including rudder). BottleBaltimore & Aldebran brace the foretopsail with the jibs, though you could add a 4th servo if you wanted.

She's a little to spendy for me, but she sure looks good :-)
Apr 28, 2011, 01:53 PM
Strange, i did not find wega under rc sailboats on graupner.de , google shows it is under premium line (artr models) http://www.graupner.de/en/products/0...8/product.aspx

Same google search delivered this (at typical chinese scale speed ):
WEGA Graupner (2 min 8 sec)
Last edited by NielsdB; Apr 28, 2011 at 02:01 PM.
Apr 28, 2011, 11:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NielsdB
Same google search delivered this (at typical chinese scale speed ):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EBMxpihNsw
I allmost got seasick watching this video with all these weird turns!

But I would only be impressed if they would/could show me identical maneuvres entirely under sail. No matter at what speed.

Quote:
" If sailing would be easy it would be called basketball."

Regarding prizes - untill today Iīve only spent about 350,- Euro for the materials of my big galeon ->
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...1357258&page=7
- and this includes all materials to get the complete hull done in fibreglass/epoxy.
I doubt to break the 1000,-Euro-Barrier for the complete 2 meter shipmodel. (rc-set excluded of course).

And this model is allmost at 1000,- Euro from the start.
Does it have at least a fibreglass hull or ABS?
Last edited by disabled; Apr 28, 2011 at 11:30 PM.
Apr 30, 2011, 03:42 AM
Shanghai'd Expat
Thread OP
All Graupner Premium models that KY Model produces are GRP with a double hull. Unfortunately both Wega & Alexander von Humbod models are designed to be run under power & not free sailing. Hadn't seen the Wega yet & was more interested if anyone of you folks in the "free world" came across one.

They produce for IMEX & Proboat here in the States as well as MHD & others in the EU under the Charming brand. Their T82 schooner sails rather nicely; that's the Belle Margot carried by MHD.
Jun 18, 2011, 03:36 AM
hello

i search photos of the original wega but i find nothing in the internet!? is the graupner ship real?

regards gerald
Jun 19, 2011, 01:26 PM
It looks a bit like this should be vega http://www.sailvega.com/
Sep 25, 2011, 10:11 AM
Cheese eating monkey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald K
hello

i search photos of the original wega but i find nothing in the internet!? is the graupner ship real?

regards gerald
I think it is based on the Etoile and Belle Poule which are boats that the French navy use as training boats.

Etoile

The initial design though is from fishing boats that were used in Brittany to fish cod in Iceland or Newfoundland. These were very good and very tough boats that could withstand the rigors of North atlantic weather during the winter. Generally they would cross Westward in February/March and come back in October. They would anchor on a bank and then send dories that they had brought on board to fish.

This definitely looks like a Breton schooner and I've never heard of one called Wega.
Sep 27, 2011, 06:53 PM
Shanghai'd Expat
Thread OP
Saw Graupner's Wega in person at the recent SIME show. Its certainly a nice looking model with plenty of detail but certainly would require some major re-work to be a real sailboat.

Quick Reply