This thread is privately moderated by rotorkilla, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Apr 25, 2011, 04:42 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

32" Catamaran from start to finish

First i had to find some plans, these were supplied to me courtesy of CornelP;

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...6&d=1291297765

Next was the delicate and the most time consuming job of the whole build and that was to get the plans printed out on A1 size paper by a local printers, then to cut out the pieces very carefully and position them onto the 3.5mm ply sheet, glued them down with paper glue and drew around the templates before cutting out the pieces with a scroll saw.

Next stage was to slowly build the frame, first i slot the pieces together without the glue to make sure everything was going to fit, then i proceeded to glue the pieces carefully making sure everything was square and well positioned.

Even though i thought i was being careful to keep everything square something still managed to glue out of line and the frame dried with a twist in it as you can see in the next pictures, i was advised by F1 Madness that the twist could be taken out when skinning.

I then proceeded to glue in the floor and batons along the sponsons with some slight counter twist to try to eliminate some twist, though this did get rid of a bit there was still substantial twist.

At this stage i then coated the frame in a wood sealer to stop the wood getting damp or rotten when wet and i placed the order for the hardware, motor, ESC etc as it was arranged with F1 Madness that he would help me with the skinning as he had experience in skinning hulls and was coinfident he could remove the twist, so place the order from Astec Models for;

Leopard 4065 1500kv Motor, Swordfish 120amp ESC, hardware and various bits and pieces.

When the bits arrived i then took the hull round to F1 Madness to skin so he could use the sizes of the parts i had ordered, here's what the skinning process looked like, note towards the end of the photo's the twist has gone.

At this stage F1 Madness gave me the hull back fully skinned with the exception of the hull floor which aloud me to add foam into the from of the hull and seal the wood inside before it was sealed up for good.

I then continue to finish off the skinning by glueing in the underside of the hull with pieces which were prepared for me.

I then started to look at where and how the components were to be mounted and continued to attach the hardware.

Now i needed to add ride pads on which the hull will ride on once its up on the plane to reduce the friction between the hull and the water in turn increasing speed.

I then add the bronze tubing for the flexi shaft ensuring that i set it to the right height, not too deep or too shallow.

Starting to get there now but i need to come up with a cockpit and this wasn't easy as i tended to just grab the block of balsa and start hacking away until i came up with something that ressembles a cockpit for which i had two attempts before i settled on the second.

Next was to cover the whole of the outside of the hull in fibre glass cloth and resin, this was the bit i found the hardest i just couldn't get the glass cloth to do what i wanted and kept ending up with bubbles under the resin for which i kept having to rip pieces off and start again. I didn't enjoy this bit at all.

Once i had covered the hull in fibre glass cloth and smoothed it down i then sprayed the hull in a filler primer to hlp remove any slight defects in the fibre glassing as i did the best i could but wasn't perfect, but after the filler spray it looked alot better.

Now i had to choose a colour scheme which i decided after looking through a few Offshore pictures on google was to copy a catamaran i found that was in dark blue, i believe it was a GT550 or something like that.

Then the maiden voyage;

32" Catamaran Maiden Voyage (2 min 40 sec)

Special thanks to F1 Madness for all his help without him it wouldn't of ben possible, thanks for reading and enjoy
Last edited by rotorkilla; May 30, 2011 at 04:17 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 09, 2013, 06:02 PM

32" Catamaran Hull Plans

I was wondering if you can point me in the direction of who supplied you with this catamaran hull plan? I would like to build this hull from the ground up. Any information on tracking these plans down is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Oct 11, 2013, 05:19 PM
Bill Scott
Try the link in the first few lines of first post
Nov 10, 2018, 09:57 PM
Excellent build blog! Sorry for reviving a VEEEEERY old thread, but I want to build this with my son, and I got some questions!

1. This is to be our first project, and I am new in RC Boats (plenty of plane and drone experience, only RTR boats, though!). So, what gear will I need to get? I only have the Tx, Rx, servo, battery pack. But I do not even know how to size the prop, or which size hardware to get. I went into Hobby King, but I need help selecting what I need. Could you list out the required hardware (and any sizing tips where applicable)?

2. Did you use regular (hardware store) 3.5mm plywood? Or is it Hobby plywood (the better quality one? Could I use balsa wood instead? Or will it be too fragile even with the fiber glass? By the way, is it directional fiberglass?

3. I have a lake about the size of the one on you maiden less than a kilometer away, but I do also go boating. You think this could run in the ocean (I live in Panama, so we have 2 of those very close!) as well or better not to run it in salt water?

Quick Reply