Tron Lightship - Maiden Flight Video! Plans Posted - Page 2 - RC Groups
Jun 23, 2011, 10:18 PM
Fly Low Fly Fast
As long as you have it on your list! I'd love to see a flying lightjet on rcgroups!
to remove ads between posts
Jun 25, 2011, 11:47 PM
Chad
nice looking plane
Apr 08, 2012, 10:48 PM
SG Talon... Super Genius.
Third build of the spring... got the Tron Lightship ready for maiden flight.

I painted the Model Plane Foam black... i know it is blasphemy. Then peeled out a strip for gluing the LED light tube into. It really turned out nice. I still need to add some more detail lines. I am going to pick up a paint pen so i can get some nice lines out of it.

Weight came out to a little under 8 ounces with an 800mah 2s battery. I am using a 1700kv Blue Wonder on it so it should fly great.

I did a tricky single servo for the V-Tail it looks like it is going to work well.

As soon as the winds start dying down i will get a flight in.

The ultimate plan is to put 2 crepe paper streamers on it to simulate the light trails from the movie. No combat though!!!
Apr 09, 2012, 01:50 AM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
awesome! cant wait to see some night flying vids. Need to get some UV LED's to shine on those streamers for the night flying.
Apr 10, 2012, 03:26 PM

Paint Done - 25mph winds...

I picked up a paint pen to finish all the lines on the plane. First side didn't go so well. Second side went much better. Oh well.

This is just one more reason i like Skins!!

Weather here is definitely NOT conducive to maiden flights of unproven aircraft.

However, I am very confident that this is going to fly great. Basically is a big glider.

I think the final version will be about 15% bigger just to help out with the whole glider feel and lighten up the wing loading.

This will definitely be the cheapest kit. I should be able to get 2 kits to a sheet of MPF! The skins will be the most expensive part of the whole thing That is if i can talk Steve into making skins for me
Apr 10, 2012, 06:17 PM
The world in foam & tissue
I'm really digging the LED light tube! Is that only visible on the top?
As for skins, there is really not much detail (color, shading, panel lines, hatches etc.) on this plane which would make skins worth creating/applying. Besides, the amount of black ink used would be crazy!
I would suggest painting it black as you have done, (Will they come out with black MFP?) then adding the graphic details and stripes with a pre-cut a self adhesive glow in the dark vinyl or a chrome mirror vinyl kits. I would design it like a skin using your plans but send it to my wife's vinyl cutter instead of the printer. Simple.
Otherwise I would make skins based on pics I found like these.
Apr 10, 2012, 07:04 PM
This is why you are my graphics guy!

I am thinking about making the light tube traces routered out with the CNC just like i have for the carbon on the Enterprise. Unfortunately it is very hard to do it just like the real one. With only a single light tube on each side so it needs to have a continuous circuit.

That is why I did mine the way i did. So whatever the plan is, it would require some creative license on the design.
Apr 10, 2012, 07:19 PM
I think your light tube layout is very Tron-ish. With the light channels routed out, I can design around it with self adhesive decals of even keep the channel not printed on any skins (if that's the rout we choose to take) so it will show through nicely.
Apr 11, 2012, 08:33 PM

Maiden Flight

Weather finally calmed down... although it was FREEZING!!

This thing flies GREAT! I need to dial back the control throws a bit. It was a little twitchy.

This thing flies sooo much better than i thought it would. I love that the funky linkage i used for the v-tail worked well. And i really think this thing is going to be an awesome glider.

Just wait until i add the twin streamers to the tail!!!

Anyhow, here is the video - Enjoy!

RC Tron Lightship.wmv (5 min 6 sec)
Apr 11, 2012, 11:27 PM
skumgummi dave
Wow! That's a rip snorter. Maybe too fast for an old guy to fly... Beautiful model though.

Dave-
Apr 12, 2012, 06:56 AM
Nice job Dennis! Will you have this one at the Toledo show as well? Hoping to make it out there late Friday night with my wife and 9 yr old daughter and attend all day Saturday. Hope to see ya there!
Apr 12, 2012, 07:07 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
SGT, VERY VERY COOL !!!!!
Apr 12, 2012, 07:15 AM
Stevo! What do you mean you will be there? That is just crazy talk!

Yes i will be bringing it. I have to show off my newest right? I wish I had some more time to fly last night. I would have popped on the streamers for the video. That is really going to make this thing amazing.

I will be at Toledo all day Friday and Saturday. But i will only have a swap shop table on Saturday. Hopefully it will be right next to the MPF table
Apr 12, 2012, 02:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGTalon
Stevo! What do you mean you will be there? That is just crazy talk! I will be at Toledo all day Friday and Saturday. But i will only have a swap shop table on Saturday. Hopefully it will be right next to the MPF table
Then I'm crazy! See you Saturday!
Are those HexTronik Lumifly Glow Wire on the Tron ship? Hobby King says they are no long offered.
Apr 12, 2012, 03:41 PM
No those things SUCK! I bought that for the Enterprise and was very very very disappointed.

This is the Light Tube thingie - http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ing_Blue_.html