Tron Lightship - Maiden Flight Video! Plans Posted - Page 15 - RC Groups
Jun 20, 2016, 06:13 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
COOL !!! Streamers ...
to remove ads between posts
Apr 16, 2017, 08:58 PM
Just stumbled across this thread. I build from DTFB and saw Timbo had some challenges with this build. Timbo did you ever get everything sorted out with DTFB?

Also the smallest motor I have is a 50g, 2200kv motor and a 1300 3s battery. Will those be too heavy for this build?

Maybe even shrink this a little bit to not worry about the floppy wingspan?

Last question -cg? One post says on the carbon tube in the plan but I'm not seeing that in the plans?
Last edited by jpot1; Apr 16, 2017 at 09:20 PM.
Apr 17, 2017, 06:26 AM
I Look, Listen, and Learn
Jpot, the biggest problem was the fact that I was still new to building planes at that time. I had enlarged the lightship plans because I wanted it bigger for more ease of flying..... Bigger dtf needs more cf bracing, which I didn't have or do, also I don't think everything was aligned properly.
If you make one as per the plans, dtf will be fine.
I 'think' I'm using a 2200 in the one I ordered from SGTalon and it flies great, I'll check when I get off work. I have to write the battery size on the planes now because I have too many to remember what to use, I'll check that also and the cg I use.
Apr 17, 2017, 04:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo383
Jpot, the biggest problem was the fact that I was still new to building planes at that time. I had enlarged the lightship plans because I wanted it bigger for more ease of flying..... Bigger dtf needs more cf bracing, which I didn't have or do, also I don't think everything was aligned properly.
If you make one as per the plans, dtf will be fine.
I 'think' I'm using a 2200 in the one I ordered from SGTalon and it flies great, I'll check when I get off work. I have to write the battery size on the planes now because I have too many to remember what to use, I'll check that also and the cg I use.
Timbo- thanks so much. BTW I'm a huge fan of your thread on homemade tips!
Apr 17, 2017, 06:00 PM
Thanks. Ok the cg for my 40 inch ws is 2 inches from the front of the wing, 3 inches from the front of the fuse....whichever is easier for you to understand, I'm not good at technical plane talk. I am using a turnigy 2211-2300 with 7X3.5 prop and a 460 2s battery.
As the pics show, I did have to move everything as far front as posible to get a good flying cg. So the 1300 battery you have will make it balance better and give you longer flights. Also, even tho it doesn't need it, I put in a little bit of dihedral in the wings by joining th cf rods with a bent copper rod in the middle, about less then an inch on each side, makes it a little more stable in flight.
Apr 17, 2017, 08:14 PM
Just to confirm, when you say 3" back from the front of the fuse , in the first pic you are measuring from just behind the firewall back - correct?
Apr 18, 2017, 06:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpot1
Just to confirm, when you say 3" back from the front of the fuse , in the first pic you are measuring from just behind the firewall back - correct?
Yep, where the foam mates to the wood. I know it seems weird that the cg is at almost 50% of the chord but it flies inverted with almost no elevator input. What I have read is that this is the correct cg when you can do this.
Not sure if it's the short tail movement or the little bit of dihedral I put in that makes it more than the usual 25-35 percent of the chord, but it works for me. You probably should still go a little more foward closer to the spar rod for safety and move it back if it feels nose heavy.
Last edited by Timbo383; Apr 18, 2017 at 08:34 AM.