Jun 20, 2016, 06:13 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
COOL !!! Streamers ...
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
to remove ads between posts
Apr 16, 2017, 08:58 PM
Just stumbled across this thread. I build from DTFB and saw Timbo had some challenges with this build. Timbo did you ever get everything sorted out with DTFB?

Also the smallest motor I have is a 50g, 2200kv motor and a 1300 3s battery. Will those be too heavy for this build?

Maybe even shrink this a little bit to not worry about the floppy wingspan?

Last question -cg? One post says on the carbon tube in the plan but I'm not seeing that in the plans?
Last edited by jpot1; Apr 16, 2017 at 09:20 PM.
Apr 17, 2017, 06:26 AM
I Look, Listen, and Learn
Jpot, the biggest problem was the fact that I was still new to building planes at that time. I had enlarged the lightship plans because I wanted it bigger for more ease of flying..... Bigger dtf needs more cf bracing, which I didn't have or do, also I don't think everything was aligned properly.
If you make one as per the plans, dtf will be fine.
I 'think' I'm using a 2200 in the one I ordered from SGTalon and it flies great, I'll check when I get off work. I have to write the battery size on the planes now because I have too many to remember what to use, I'll check that also and the cg I use.
Apr 17, 2017, 04:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo383
Jpot, the biggest problem was the fact that I was still new to building planes at that time. I had enlarged the lightship plans because I wanted it bigger for more ease of flying..... Bigger dtf needs more cf bracing, which I didn't have or do, also I don't think everything was aligned properly.
If you make one as per the plans, dtf will be fine.
I 'think' I'm using a 2200 in the one I ordered from SGTalon and it flies great, I'll check when I get off work. I have to write the battery size on the planes now because I have too many to remember what to use, I'll check that also and the cg I use.
Timbo- thanks so much. BTW I'm a huge fan of your thread on homemade tips!
Apr 17, 2017, 06:00 PM
Thanks. Ok the cg for my 40 inch ws is 2 inches from the front of the wing, 3 inches from the front of the fuse....whichever is easier for you to understand, I'm not good at technical plane talk. I am using a turnigy 2211-2300 with 7X3.5 prop and a 460 2s battery.
As the pics show, I did have to move everything as far front as posible to get a good flying cg. So the 1300 battery you have will make it balance better and give you longer flights. Also, even tho it doesn't need it, I put in a little bit of dihedral in the wings by joining th cf rods with a bent copper rod in the middle, about less then an inch on each side, makes it a little more stable in flight.
Apr 17, 2017, 08:14 PM
Just to confirm, when you say 3" back from the front of the fuse , in the first pic you are measuring from just behind the firewall back - correct?
Apr 18, 2017, 06:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpot1
Just to confirm, when you say 3" back from the front of the fuse , in the first pic you are measuring from just behind the firewall back - correct?
Yep, where the foam mates to the wood. I know it seems weird that the cg is at almost 50% of the chord but it flies inverted with almost no elevator input. What I have read is that this is the correct cg when you can do this.
Not sure if it's the short tail movement or the little bit of dihedral I put in that makes it more than the usual 25-35 percent of the chord, but it works for me. You probably should still go a little more foward closer to the spar rod for safety and move it back if it feels nose heavy.
Last edited by Timbo383; Apr 18, 2017 at 08:34 AM.
Oct 02, 2020, 12:30 PM
Retired CAD guy
SGTalon has recently transferred his Kit Cutting tasks to me.
My current intention is to make FOAM ONLY kits available. This philosophy keeps my Inventory minimal
while not interferring with the Local Hobby Shops.
This has worked well for me since 2005

My starting date for this project is Oct 2 2020
I will be adding more kits as I get time.
If you are in a hurry please contact me for availability.

Best

Bob @ Hoosiercutoutservice.com
https://www.hoosiercutoutservice.com/
Oct 04, 2020, 08:22 AM
Retired CAD guy
As of Yesterday evening and after a whirlwind of CAD activity,
I have all of the SGTalon kits avaiulable for cutting.
And I believe they are all priced lower than previously.

Enterprise D
Enterprise A
Voyager
Cylon Raider
Imperial Start Destroyer
Harrier
Tron Lightship

Bob @ Hoosier Cutout Service

Quick Reply