Oct 17, 2015, 03:40 PM
I Look, Listen, and Learn
Got it all together for the test flight. I have some 2 mm depron that I going to cover the electrics with and give it a more cleaner look, just trying to figure out the battery compartment using the the thin depron, maybe just leave that section open.
Had to add a couple grams weight up front to balance it. The motor pulls real good, it should be a great flight since I took my time to do it right this time.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 17, 2015, 05:59 PM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Nice !!! I sure love the look of this plane ... Just thinking of a Bigger version ... Would be very graceful ... Maybe a chance to try a KF airfoil ...???
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Oct 17, 2015, 06:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
Nice !!! I sure love the look of this plane ... Just thinking of a Bigger version ... Would be very graceful ... Maybe a chance to try a KF airfoil ...???
I did a 48 inch version out of dtf with a kf but I got in too much of a hurry when I put it together....learned to slow down and use more gorillia glue and less hot glue in my builds ....needless to say it did not do well. Now with a better knowledge of cg, keeping it light, and better ability to fly I should be able to enjoy this plane more this time. And if this works out a bigger one might happen again.
Last edited by Timbo383; Oct 17, 2015 at 06:46 PM.
Oct 18, 2015, 06:35 AM
gpw
gpw
We still have some original BlueCor FFF left and think that may work for a bigger (~60”) version ... Finding the larger versions of planes presented here always seemed to fly “smoother” (less flitty') ... Although we saw the Movie , it was the video that SGT posted ( Post#24) that really did it for me ...
Oct 18, 2015, 08:35 AM
Ken's CAD Models
Adding some fuel to the fire.
Tron Legacy 2010 — LightJets (3 min 19 sec)

Ken
Oct 18, 2015, 09:02 AM
Ken's CAD Models
Too bad the single seat aggressor's just not aerodynamically feasible. At least not that I can see. They'd be a great addition to this design.

Ken
Oct 18, 2015, 09:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1sfb
Too bad the single seat aggressor's just not aerodynamically feasible. At least not that I can see. They'd be a great addition to this design.

Ken
Yeah, what's the deal SGTalon, where is that one?

Went out this morning with my new lightship, flew great. Just a little nose heavy from the extra weight I put in....gotta rip them back out now, but better nose heavy than light..... apparently the cg is a little more back from the spar on my build.
I'll post the vid when I get a chance.
Oct 18, 2015, 12:45 PM
Ken's CAD Models
The problem is that all the mass is behind the main wing.

Ken
Oct 18, 2015, 04:52 PM
Quote:
The problem is that all the mass is behind the main wing.

Ken
That's the weird part, I was afraid it would be tail heavy so I added more weight up front, but it didn't need it.
Maybe the extra width of the fuselage has something to do with it?
Oct 18, 2015, 04:55 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo383
That's the weird part, I was afraid it would be tail heavy so I added more weight up front, but it didn't need it.
I was speaking entirely in reference to the single seat aggressor light jets.

Ken
Oct 18, 2015, 07:03 PM
Quote:
I was speaking entirely in reference to the single seat aggressor light jets.

Ken
ahhhh, ok
Oct 19, 2015, 09:03 AM
SG Talon... Super Genius.
Thread OP
Feasible Schmeasible

Who says it has to be exactly like the movie version? I think adding some stuff in front would be doable. I don't really have time for it though. It is a really cool looking plane. I originally was going to do the single seater, but the issues made me rethink it.

How hard would it be to double the size of it Ken? Right now, it fits on half a sheet.
Oct 19, 2015, 01:41 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGTalon
Feasible Schmeasible
... issues made me rethink it.

How hard would it be to double the size of it Ken? Right now, it fits on half a sheet.
Hmmm! are you contradicting yourself?

Okay your asking about the original now. Let me look at it.

Ken
Oct 19, 2015, 03:30 PM
gpw
gpw
QUOTE: “ Who says it has to be exactly like the movie version?” That’s been my contention along .... fly first, look correct second ... It’s about the flying or otherwise it would be Plastic display models , and there’s really nothing wrong with that either , except they don’t fly ...

PS. But then , we don’t see anything wrong with towing similar colored crepe paper streamers along behind it either .... hahahaha
Oct 19, 2015, 03:43 PM
SG Talon... Super Genius.
Thread OP
Well, lets not get crazy here GPW... It does need to look like the real one. I have made it kind of my Mission Statement to build quite nearly scale flying models!!

I flew mine with streamers and it was too slow! The motor I have on it just doesn't have enough power. Something bigger would be able to handle it much better.

Quick Reply