Aug 20, 2014, 10:33 AM
I Look, Listen, and Learn
Thanks SGTalon, I "LIKE" being able to fly something different when I get a chance. Especially if it's cool looking "LIKE" this one.

I see that you may have made a plane out of MPF, what is your opinion on that foam if you remember? I'm thinking of saving up some $ for an order.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 20, 2014, 12:08 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Timbo383,
Your kit is MPF! What do you think of it?

Ken
Aug 21, 2014, 08:33 AM
Are the kits available? I've sent PM to SGTALON asking, I've asked earlier in the thread and no responce. Am I missing something on how to order? I've ordered the two other kits from him a year ago and love the SGTALON's kits. Help!
Aug 21, 2014, 01:56 PM
treefinder
Timbo: I think we can confidently say sgtalon's planes are ALL MPF. He was the first to pick up a box of foam even before we set up the website and started selling it online, and his plane is the first in our MPF gallery. AS far as I know, he hasn't used anything else to prototype or kit since his first box. I think he likes it....
Aug 21, 2014, 11:55 PM
SG Talon... Super Genius.
Thread OP
Hi guys!

Yes, In my opinion, MPF is the best thing to happen to this forum and the hobby. It is tougher than Depron and Cellfoam 88, and cheaper than both! Maybe it is because we can buy it right from the guys making it. The fact that it is pure white makes it so easy to paint or sharpie so it looks great.

I picked up the first bundle of foam they made, and have not built a plane out of anything since. As soon I could get my kits made out of it I did. I am pretty sure that I might be one of their biggest customers. I know that Ken has said that I am his biggest for foam cutting.

You will not regret buying a bundle!

Marty, Sorry I did't get back to you sooner. I am out of town working. I have not updated my website to show the Tron kit.

I never thought that anyone was interested before the last month or so. I have about 30 designs that I have done and most don't get many building them. So I just offer the ones that I get the most requests for. This one will go on for sure. Ken has tweaked the design a bit to make it easier to cut and ship but it has raised the price a little. I sent you a reply to the PM.

Thanks for the interest!
Aug 23, 2014, 07:52 PM
[Timbo383,
Your kit is MPF! What do you think of it?

Ken ]
Well, I went back and compared it to my only other kit made of depron ( remember, I'm cheap and mostly use $ tree foam). The difference that I see are

1: its smoother, paint should look better on it (not that I do too much of that anyways)

2: its a little bit more flexible, good because in my second flight I bounced pretty hard off the ground, twice (pilot error) with minimum damage, I do believe depron would have broken on those hits.

3: not as stiff as depron, may need more cf in larger planes.( trade off in bounce durability)

4: my cheap "foam safe" CA glue does not melt it like it does my $tree foam, adheres very good in fact with a strong bond.

Now remember these are just my non professional assessments of what I think.

in conclusion, I have to give it two thumbs up
Aug 23, 2014, 07:53 PM
By the way how do you do the square wrap around others posts when you want to add their writings? I keep trying but I cant get it. I know it has to be something simple, because I cant figure it out
Aug 23, 2014, 08:20 PM
treefinder
Timbo: if you click the "quote" button in the lower right side of any post, it will start a new post from you with the original post in quotes. You can edit out what you don't need from the quoted post and add your input.
Aug 24, 2014, 09:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer
Timbo: if you click the "quote" button in the lower right side of any post, it will start a new post from you with the original post in quotes.
Knew it had to be simple, thankyou
Aug 24, 2014, 09:57 AM
Well, took the tail off and sanded down the rear booms at a straighter angle. After more precise mesurement I found it to be a couple of degrees off . And I'm guessing that large v-tail was acting like a big down elevator hence maybe the reason for the diving with low or off throttle. I'll let you know after the next flight.
Last edited by Timbo383; Aug 30, 2014 at 07:52 PM.
Aug 28, 2014, 06:28 PM
[QUOTE=Timbo383;29259561]Well, took the tail off and sanded down the rear booms at a straighter angle. After more precise mesurement I found it to be a couple of degrees off .

Oops sanded down too much, had a wonderful 3d experience( BTW , I can't fly 3d ) time to pull out the hot glue and reinstall the hanging motor and reglue some pieces back on with CA. And angle the tail back down a little, just a little this time
Last edited by Timbo383; Aug 30, 2014 at 07:53 PM.
Oct 10, 2015, 06:35 PM

Tron Revisited

Deleted, double post
Last edited by Timbo383; Oct 11, 2015 at 06:31 AM.
Oct 10, 2015, 06:36 PM

Tron Revisited

Well, it's been over a year now since my first build of the SGTalon tron lightship. And as a sort of anniversary to myself, I'm gonna put together another one since I still like this plane.
My first build was not too good since I had pretty much been a rookie then....too much hot glue and bamboo sticks, and too little knowledge of what I was doing. With a little bit more knowledge....and money now.... I should have a better time with the build and flight.
Oct 11, 2015, 06:24 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Good luck Tim !! It is a COOL plane !!!
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Oct 11, 2015, 06:55 AM
Thanks Glen. The first time I didn't have enough cf rods for the larger build using the dollar tree foam. The second one, which was a kit from SGTalon I used too large a motor and had too much torque for the little ship....and I was in too much of a hurry to fly it thus making the mistakes I did during the build.
This time it's mostly gg white with THIN hot glue touch ups. I also decided to give it a little of dihedral in the wings for more stability.....not necessary, but I think it will make it glide better. Also I reveresed the wig tips for better washout (I think that's the term.....still studying and learning as I go).
Anyways it's such an easy build I did alot in one day.

Quick Reply