Tron Lightship - Maiden Flight Video! Plans Posted - Page 11 - RC Groups
Jul 26, 2014, 11:24 AM
I Look, Listen, and Learn
Its a cheapo canon, probably wont work. Only standard letter size papers.

On a good side note, received my new box of goodies today, thanks dz1fsb, looks good. My offer to pay for the cost of the depron still stands, since I did used the other kit for my son to have fun with.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 01, 2014, 05:08 PM
Crazy Canuck

Arrived safe and sound

Got a great surprise from the mail man today!! Thank you so much for your efforts of sending another kit. It arrived all safe and sound. You're fantastic and hope you get more people building this. I have it as my number 3 build, I am gathering the other components now. Thank you
Aug 10, 2014, 03:30 PM
Well, got to madien the lightship this morning. Dived like it was nose heavy but also pitched up like it was tail heavy during flight....???? Wind picked up before I could experiment enough with trim and cg. Still I brought it home in one piece, so I 'm still happy.
Aug 10, 2014, 07:58 PM
SG Talon... Super Genius.
I wonder if your tail surfaces are a little crooked. It could be a reason for the pitchiness.

Not sure though.
Aug 10, 2014, 09:42 PM
Rechecked that, looks good to me . I'll just have to wait till next weekend before I can experiment with it. I still flew it around for about 5-6 minutes without really worrying of crashing it. Going to add more Velcro to move the battery around a bit and also try messing with the elevator next flight and see what happens. I'm still not a good pilot, so I know it will take time to learn the whats and whys of what I'm doing wrong. I can fly trainers and deltas pretty good, so I think I'll get the hang of this one soon or later. Thanks for checking in and giving some advice SGTalon.
Aug 11, 2014, 08:23 AM
Ken's CAD Models
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo383
Well, got to madien the lightship this morning. Dived like it was nose heavy but also pitched up like it was tail heavy during flight....???? Wind picked up before I could experiment enough with trim and cg. Still I brought it home in one piece, so I 'm still happy.
That sounds like the classic tail heavy situation to me.

Ken
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Aug 11, 2014, 03:11 PM
Thats what I thought too, Ken. But when I toss it, it dives straight into the ground like its nose heavy. Im hopeing for a lightly windy day this week so I can play with it more. Let u guys know if I manage to determine what it is.
Aug 11, 2014, 03:13 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Okay, are you able to balance at the recommended CG? Might need to double check the control throw directions. Sometimes things get missed.

Ken
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Aug 11, 2014, 03:26 PM
Maybe im just used to my other profile planes that sort of float when you toss them, gonna up trim the elevators and try a bigger battery up front.
Aug 11, 2014, 03:41 PM
Didnt know you were still there ken. Yep control throws ok , cg maybe a little back within 1/4 inch. Thats wy next flight heavier bat
Aug 11, 2014, 03:45 PM
Thinking about angle the motor up a couple degrees also, dont know for sure on that tho.
Aug 11, 2014, 03:55 PM
That does seem odd Timbo.

My #1 recommendation is never, ever, launch a plane straight and level! I always launch my planes underhanded at a 45 degree up angle.

Check out my videos on Youtube to see what I mean. That extra angle really helps if you have trim issues and it means that you have that much more height to correct any bad launches.
Aug 11, 2014, 04:14 PM
First off, before I forget again, thank you guys for all the advice. Im gonna double chec the motor angle when I get home, and I know from experience that if the cg is off even 1/4 inch it can make a big difference.
Aug 20, 2014, 06:38 AM
Ok, flight number 2. Moved the servos for the elevator forward for a better cg. Trimmed the elevators up, lighter battery and toss. More stable flight, but still seemed nose heavy to me ( remember, I'm still pretty much a rookie at this). Couple more up trim on elevator and less dive and more enjoyable flight. Wind started to pick up again so I quit while I was ahead.

I've come to the conclusion, that even though it looks straight, my tail job must be angled wrong like SGTalon sugested. Will fix that and see how flight three goes. Hey, I'm just happy it's still in one piece, that's a bonus for my skills.
Last edited by Timbo383; Aug 20, 2014 at 06:57 AM.
Aug 20, 2014, 08:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo383
Ok, flight number 2. Moved the servos for the elevator forward for a better cg. Trimmed the elevators up, lighter battery and toss. More stable flight, but still seemed nose heavy to me ( remember, I'm still pretty much a rookie at this). Couple more up trim on elevator and less dive and more enjoyable flight. Wind started to pick up again so I quit while I was ahead.

I've come to the conclusion, that even though it looks straight, my tail job must be angled wrong like SGTalon sugested. Will fix that and see how flight three goes. Hey, I'm just happy it's still in one piece, that's a bonus for my skills.
Where is the "Like" button on this thing!

Glad you are enjoying the plane and honing your skills Timbo!