post your IFO pictures - RC Groups
Aug 17, 2003, 10:34 AM
Spektrumized

post your IFO pictures

Hey guys,
just picked up a mini IFO from aeromicro and wanted to see some of yours. I am having trouble getting the covering to stay tight. Is this common? also I am wondering about the motor mounting, does it stay put with just the ziptie? seems like it would move in flight.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 17, 2003, 11:32 AM
Formerly of mcba fame
My IFO isn't worth posting - just a monochromatic kite with wrinkles and a motor.

You can glue the motor with CA or add an extra Zip tie. A single one isn't really enough.

My covering doesn't seem very tight. It flies great but maybe it could be improved. Somebody did a thread not long ago about getting it drum tight - wish it had been a bit sooner:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...=ripstop+tight

Good luck,
Matthew
Aug 17, 2003, 11:32 AM
j-

try doing a search here on the zone for IFO, and you'll come across plenty pics,advice and discussion of everything from motors to covering.

Terry

ps
make it easy on yourself and click "search titles only" and "show the results as threads" in the search options, otherwise you'll go nuts
Last edited by Terry I; Aug 17, 2003 at 11:37 AM.
Aug 17, 2003, 02:06 PM
For drum tight covering, I tack down prestretched fabric with contact cement. Then I go around the perimeter, stretching the fabric and sticking it back down until it is drum tight. Then I trim allowing only enough fabric to wrap over the CF rod--not enough to contact the fabric. Next put some contact cement on the rod and roll the edge over. 1 hour, no wrinkles, clean seam, and drum tight. My first covering job looked like horrible--you'll get better as you build new IFOs and cover some more.

Here's my favorite IFO shot:
Last edited by Nowell York; Aug 17, 2003 at 02:11 PM.
Aug 28, 2003, 11:09 AM
Heres one I built and sold.
Aug 28, 2003, 11:11 AM
another....

hows this for drum-tight covering?
Aug 28, 2003, 12:09 PM
Been There! Done That!
Other than looking better they fly just great with a few wrinkles! I just won't take the time for drum tight and you need to be super careful when trying to get all the wrinkles out that you don't warp the airframe!!!! My present 3 all have some wrinkles and they all fly fantastic!
boomer
Aug 28, 2003, 03:51 PM
De-Brushed user
I remember reading that drum-tight covering on IFO's isnt the best, because covering with a little slack forms an airfoil shape while flying, and lets the plane fly better.
Aug 28, 2003, 05:44 PM
Spektrumized
great looking IFO's guys.
Matt Chester, is your covering sewn on? if so was it hard, and how did you keep the covering from ripping when you pushed the needle through?
Aug 28, 2003, 05:51 PM
Been There! Done That!
Quote:
Originally posted by jstevens
great looking IFO's guys.
Matt Chester, is your covering sewn on? if so was it hard, and how did you keep the covering from ripping when you pushed the needle through?
I'm not Matt but Ripstop covering is hard to make rip thus the name! You can slit it and it won't unravel! or will the cut lenghten
boomer
Aug 28, 2003, 09:05 PM
My Easter Egg looking IFO

Tom
Aug 28, 2003, 09:54 PM
Pro Bro #495
my Mini
Aug 29, 2003, 12:11 AM
FASST flyer
Video of the blue one in-flight here (160K - Windows Media)
Last edited by KatManDEW; Aug 29, 2003 at 10:48 AM.
Aug 29, 2003, 10:39 AM
What extra weight???
Here ya go...

My IFO-T
Some mods have been made since pics (LG removed, extra spine added, lots of crash induced mods...hee hee).
Aug 29, 2003, 10:48 AM
Formerly of mcba fame
Has anyone tried heat-shrinking the covering? I know it's risky but it could be the solution for those of us want to improve the looks of our floppy IFOs

Matthew