Oct 18, 2011, 11:21 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Do you remember the FG I put on my GL's nose? It came in real handy Sunday. I am a fan of fiberglass, now.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 19, 2011, 08:39 PM
Thread OP
Here are the new tail feathers. I was able to lose 6g out of the fin/rudder and 10g out of the stab/elevator, for a total savings of 16g (though the net savings will be less after sanding).

Now I have to round off the leading edges, and taper the the elevator/rudder towards the trailing edges. As far as I remember everything else -the wing, the fuse- is pretty much all sanded - though one can never sand enough .

I'm planning to glass the wing TE at the poly break as there's not much structure there to glue together and looks like would be prone to break easily. Maybe I'll also glass the nose and the sub-fin.

Getting really close...
Oct 21, 2011, 01:09 AM
Thread OP
I sanded the elevator and the rudder to the profile shown on the plans. Since I removed a lot of material from the centers of the tail surfaces, I had concerns about their strength, post-shaping. They turned out OK I believe and will get stronger after covering. Note the cross-grain inserts I added towards the center of the elevator. Without those the area around the plywood piece was too weak.
Oct 21, 2011, 01:22 AM
Thread OP
Since I'll be using hinge tape, the LEs of the rudder and of the elevator need to be sanded at a 45 degree angle. I remembered I had this 45 degree sanding tool that came in the CG Piper Cub kit I had built 20+ years ago. It came in handy indeed after all those years, it sometimes pays off to be a packrat .
Oct 21, 2011, 02:00 AM
Thread OP
And what's build log without a bones shot...
Oct 21, 2011, 11:31 AM
High Lift Coefficient
Nice bones Ates! This is a good time to consider glassing the fuselage as an option.
Oct 21, 2011, 10:14 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Sean! I will do some FG+epoxy reinforcements at the poly break and also do the nose section on the fuse. Tonight hopefully...
Oct 23, 2011, 10:57 PM
Everyday normal guy.
Looking good Ates... You're on the home stretch now!

Don
Oct 25, 2011, 12:23 AM
Thread OP
Thanks Don, I'm hoping to maiden it this coming Sunday. I had a change of heart with the color I chose earlier. I was unable to find a similar looking transparent color (as the one in the pictures of a finished model I had posted earlier) in Ultracote which I prefer to use. I'm going with transparent blue & purple.

I did some reinforcements to the sub-fin. I sanded off a couple mm's off of the perimeter and replaced it with two layers of laminated basswood. Then filled, sanded and further strengthened the area with a layer of thin CA.

I applied FG reinforcements to the bottom of the nose area and to the LE and TE at the poly breaks of the wing outer panels. I used light FG and 30min epoxy.

I lightly sanded everything one last time for good measure with a 320 grit sanding sponge and gave the pieces a good sweep with a tack cloth. I cleaned up and vacuumed my desktop, changed the blades on my Xacto handles and in the trim tool - I'm ready to start covering .
Oct 30, 2011, 12:08 AM
Thread OP
OK, I'm ARF but not quite RTF .

Covering went quite uneventful. I had used regular Ultracote before and had liked it. I used the transparent variety for the first time on this plane and I loved it, it goes on easier than the regular Ultracote.

I was rushing to finish everything up today so that I can maiden tomorrow. But the hinge tape I got (3M Blenderm) looked terrible on the transparent covering. It looks quite acceptable on the picture but in real life I couldn't live with it. I removed the hinges so no maiden tomorrow .

I see most of you guys use a clear hinge tape. What is it, where do I find it?
Oct 30, 2011, 12:17 AM
Thread OP
But still, I couldn't resist to putting everything together for a photo-op.

I also checked the CG and it looks like I'll need less than 30g of extra nose weight to hit the center of the recommended range. This gives me an AUW of 740g, which is pretty low compared to other builds I've seen. My scale has been giving me a low battery warning forever, I should double check with another scale.
Last edited by atesus; Oct 30, 2011 at 12:59 AM. Reason: Fixed typos
Oct 30, 2011, 10:02 AM
Everyday normal guy.
Wow....that's impressive looking! I hope to see it at the contest today.

Don
Oct 30, 2011, 10:10 AM
Gorgeous! A thing of beauty. Looking forward to seeing it today.
Oct 30, 2011, 11:10 AM
High Lift Coefficient
Nicely built and covered, a well done job.
Oct 30, 2011, 06:03 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
B-E-A-U-tiful!

Next week?

Quick Reply