Techone POPWING and MINIPOPWING - Page 63 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Thread Tools
Jan 15, 2013, 04:42 PM
Fly it low.. and fly it fast!
Hit N Run's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesengr
I looked at this but didn't see how to get a 2200 mounted without getting into very thin foam. I already snapped the nose off once with a 1300 battery which just uses the standard battery pocket. How did you mount the 2200 and keep the nose strong?
Yeah, that's the tricky part. Enlarging the battery area to fit the 2200mah packs DOES put you in some thin foam. What I did, was ignore that factor completely at first, and cut out just enough to fit the battery inside. Then, I took a tube of amazing goop and a thin strip of ply that was the same size of the newly cut away area, and coated the entire inside of everything with amazing goop and then laid the ply down inside and then coated over the ply so it was embedded inside the layer of amazing goop. As for the velcro strap, I just installed it pretty much the same way you would with the stock ply with the slits in it.

So far it's been working perfectly for the past 6 months. And i've had my fair share of not so perfect landings.

That "Amazing Goop" really helps strengthen the weak areas where it's been cut out to fit the larger battery.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jan 15, 2013, 04:58 PM
This is your brain on heli's
rhodesengr's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit N Run
Yeah, that's the tricky part. Enlarging the battery area to fit the 2200mah packs DOES put you in some thin foam. What I did, was ignore that factor completely at first, and cut out just enough to fit the battery inside. Then, I took a tube of amazing goop and a thin strip of ply that was the same size of the newly cut away area, and coated the entire inside of everything with amazing goop and then laid the ply down inside and then coated over the ply so it was embedded inside the layer of amazing goop. As for the velcro strap, I just installed it pretty much the same way you would with the stock ply with the slits in it.

So far it's been working perfectly for the past 6 months. And i've had my fair share of not so perfect landings.

That "Amazing Goop" really helps strengthen the weak areas where it's been cut out to fit the larger battery.
Since it needs weight in the nose anyway, another way to go would be to glass the nose/battery area "surfboard style" using some 4oz glass cloth and clear surfboard epoxy. Resin Research is a really good epoxy for this and it won't hurt any of the foams. Fiberglass Supply is a good source for both the cloth and the RR epoxy.
Jan 15, 2013, 05:17 PM
Fly it low.. and fly it fast!
Hit N Run's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesengr
Since it needs weight in the nose anyway, another way to go would be to glass the nose/battery area "surfboard style" using some 4oz glass cloth and clear surfboard epoxy. Resin Research is a really good epoxy for this and it won't hurt any of the foams. Fiberglass Supply is a good source for both the cloth and the RR epoxy.
Yep, glassing it works just as well. I personally chose using the "amazing goop" only because of it's flexibility over epoxy so it could "bend" vs crack in the event of a nose in, but either way will definitely do the job.
Jan 15, 2013, 06:52 PM
PSALM 14:1
Sammy70's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesengr
You guys using APC or APC style props with spacers, I found that spacer can fall out when I land or crash. Do people glue these into the prop?
Yes, glue them in with a bit of CA and then you can ream them to fit as needed (with prop reamers, not knife blades or drill bits)
Jan 15, 2013, 07:38 PM
This is your brain on heli's
rhodesengr's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy70
with prop reamers, not knife blades or drill bits)
would that be "proper reamers" or "propeller reamers". I can get reamers from any tool supply. Are there special reamers for propellers?
Jan 15, 2013, 09:16 PM
Fly it low.. and fly it fast!
Hit N Run's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesengr
would that be "proper reamers" or "propeller reamers". I can get reamers from any tool supply. Are there special reamers for propellers?
You want something like this. CLICK
Jan 15, 2013, 09:17 PM
PSALM 14:1
Sammy70's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesengr
would that be "proper reamers" or "propeller reamers". I can get reamers from any tool supply. Are there special reamers for propellers?

Not sure how special they, but they do have the proper sizes for most prop adaptors.

I have one metric and one standard and they are very handy to have around.

Here's some examples:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...CH=prop+reamer
Jan 15, 2013, 09:56 PM
This is your brain on heli's
rhodesengr's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy70
Not sure how special they, but they do have the proper sizes for most prop adaptors.

I have one metric and one standard and they are very handy to have around.

Here's some examples:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...CH=prop+reamer
I read through some threads about stepped vs tapered reamers. I am kind of feeling the tapered approach. I found this one. Its CHEAP!
http://www.harborfreight.com/t-handle-reamer-66936.html
Jan 15, 2013, 10:04 PM
Fly it low.. and fly it fast!
Hit N Run's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesengr
I read through some threads about stepped vs tapered reamers. I am kind of feeling the tapered approach. I found this one. Its CHEAP!
http://www.harborfreight.com/t-handle-reamer-66936.html
Nice find! I like the price.... Now where did I put my credit card..
I few of these are always good to have handy!

Actually, a 15 minute drive would be cheaper than the shipping..... (maybe)
Jan 16, 2013, 01:11 AM
This is your brain on heli's
rhodesengr's Avatar

watt meter readings


I just got my new wattmeter so I took some readings on my Popwing. This was with the stock Tiger 2208 and a 1300mAh 3S Nanotech

Stock prop APC clone 7x5: Ipeak=11.4 amps, Ppeak=134 watts
GWS 8x4: Ipeak=10.3 amps, Ppeak=122 Watts

So just a little more power with the 7x5. For what its worth, I put the numbers in propcalc. For the 8x4 prop it predicts 114Watts and 11 Amps so not too bad.

With he APC 7x5, it does not do so well. It shows a warning "prop may stall" and the predicted power is only 89 watts at 8.5 amps. This is not very close to the actual data. Anyone know why this might be?
Jan 16, 2013, 01:17 AM
STOP CALLING THEM "DRONES!!!"
Captain Ron's Avatar

One of today's flights


I just got home from the AMA Expo yesterday and I needed to get some flying in so I went out with my Mini Popwing and my hat cam.

The plane is hard to see at around 3:00-3:45 because I was trying to show the vertical performance.

(watch in 1080p HD)
Techone Mini Popwing (Not stock) (6 min 1 sec)
Jan 16, 2013, 09:39 PM
Crew Chief
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron
I just got home from the AMA Expo yesterday and I needed to get some flying in so I went out with my Mini Popwing and my hat cam.

The plane is hard to see at around 3:00-3:45 because I was trying to show the vertical performance.

(watch in 1080p HD)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUWrD...MrFQ1w&index=1
Dam nice, i need to get the stuff to fly again at that field. Typically i just hit the Aliente park , both are the same distance from my house.
Jan 18, 2013, 02:16 AM
STOP CALLING THEM "DRONES!!!"
Captain Ron's Avatar
Here's another onboard video with my mini popwing from today.

Techone Mini popwing chasing Cub (6 min 15 sec)
Jan 20, 2013, 12:59 PM
FPV Noob
fpsazerbaijan's Avatar
Hi everyone!

Just ordered a Tek Sumo (which I believe is the same as the PopWing), and I've got a 2826 2200kv motor for it, a pile of 6x4E props and some simple 9g servos.

My question is, do I need to setup dual rates or expos? This is going to be my first wing, which I am using as a trainer before I try and fly my SkyWalker X5. So for nice smooth flight what should I set my dr/expos to?

Thanks for any help for a wing noob

-Al
Jan 20, 2013, 01:53 PM
If it spins, wear it.
whirlcap's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpsazerbaijan
Hi everyone!

Just ordered a Tek Sumo (which I believe is the same as the PopWing), and I've got a 2826 2200kv motor for it, a pile of 6x4E props and some simple 9g servos.

My question is, do I need to setup dual rates or expos? This is going to be my first wing, which I am using as a trainer before I try and fly my SkyWalker X5. So for nice smooth flight what should I set my dr/expos to?

Thanks for any help for a wing noob

-Al
Set the throws per the build instructions, they are conservative. You can increase them later when you are comfortable and are ready for much more extreme roll rates etc. I wouldn't worry about doing dual rates if your throws are per the manual. Some positive expo is good too, depends on what your used to using if any? 30% is a good start but that's totally an individual's preference. Some fly with less, some with much more. I was using a bunch but have dialed back to about 20% on the planes I use any on. Most get none for me.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question Techone models?? lectroglide Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models 5 Aug 07, 2011 02:54 PM
Sold Techone Energy EPP Foamy Wattsup23 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 9 Mar 31, 2011 04:28 AM
Sold Techone Piaget 3D EPP New in box $45 shipped! Lindy757 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Mar 18, 2011 12:01 AM
Discussion TechOne F3P??? cglynn Indoor Pattern/F3P 6 Mar 11, 2011 02:24 PM
Question techone malibu 2 or techone aeolus? genesis96 Indoor Pattern/F3P 16 Jan 19, 2011 02:02 PM