Techone POPWING and MINIPOPWING - Page 59 - RC Groups
Thread Tools
Dec 14, 2012, 01:55 AM
Lipo abuser ... smoke on!
gp125racer's Avatar
Thanks for the link.

What kind of speed are you seeing on that setup? I'm hoping to put a camera setup on it eventually so I want to haul a little extra weight and not have it be too much of an issue.

Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketscience
I use this one... very similar specs. Might save a couple bucks. 6x4 apc.
Latest blog entry: D100
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Dec 14, 2012, 02:01 AM
Not a six pack
rocketscience's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by gp125racer
Thanks for the link.

What kind of speed are you seeing on that setup? I'm hoping to put a camera setup on it eventually so I want to haul a little extra weight and not have it be too much of an issue.

Don
Never clocked it but here:

pop wing onboard 2 (5 min 36 sec)


and i'm uploading this one. I reduced throws on the servo arms and changed the 808 cam settings. (give it a while to process)

popWingCam (0 min 0 sec)
Last edited by rocketscience; Dec 14, 2012 at 02:11 AM.
Dec 14, 2012, 02:15 AM
Lipo abuser ... smoke on!
gp125racer's Avatar
Looks sweet! Thanks for sharing.

Santa needs to place an order for me now

Don
Latest blog entry: D100
Dec 14, 2012, 08:13 AM
Registered User
Schoolya's Avatar
Try adding some reinforcement to your vertical stabs. They are pretty flimsy and might be flapping in the wind a little. If you have a key chain cam, stick it on the wing pointing to where you think you might be getting the flutter and see what is doing it the easy way.


Edit: I just re read your post. You are saying you can see them flutter from the ground?
Dec 14, 2012, 09:32 AM
Fly it low.. and fly it fast!
Hit N Run's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoolya
Try adding some reinforcement to your vertical stabs. They are pretty flimsy and might be flapping in the wind a little. If you have a key chain cam, stick it on the wing pointing to where you think you might be getting the flutter and see what is doing it the easy way.


Edit: I just re read your post. You are saying you can see them flutter from the ground?
Yep. I fly it right in my yard most of the time. And I do a lot of high speed low passes so it's fairly easy to see the "flutter" when it happens.

But I like the key chain cam idea. That might shed a little light on things when you're right up and personal with the wing.

Speaking of those key chain cams..... Who has the best prices on them?
Also, I know some models are better quality than others as far as resolution and all that. Which one is considered the best one?

We can keep that part of this to PM's so we're not hijacking the thread.

Thanks.
Dec 15, 2012, 03:47 AM
Not a six pack
rocketscience's Avatar
here's all the info you ever need. I like the HD wide angle one (#16 HD wide angle). Check for updates though. They come out with a new one every minute it seems.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...=50&page=10000

here's a video with the camera under the brim of my hat. Flying of course.. the mini popwing.

mini pop wing in the dome 1 (5 min 36 sec)
Dec 15, 2012, 08:41 AM
Registered User
Schoolya's Avatar
the control surfaces on this are somewhat flimsy too, you could easily get flutter with no loose linkage due to the foam just flexing.
Dec 15, 2012, 10:11 AM
Fly it low.. and fly it fast!
Hit N Run's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoolya
the control surfaces on this are somewhat flimsy too, you could easily get flutter with no loose linkage due to the foam just flexing.
Well, the winds are decent today (7 to 10mph) so i'll be flying down at the club field in a couple hours. I will adjust the CG a little each way and run through a battery pack at each adjustment. I'll let you know how it all turns out.

If it still does the fluttering, then i'm going to consider running a strip of balsa on each elevon to stiffen them up. If THAT doesn't do it then i'm just going to chalk it up to "airframe potential" and that they just can't take those high-G maneuvers without the occasional elevon flutter here and there.

I'm running an RCTimer BC2208-14 (1450kv) brushless with a 7X6 prop so there's plenty of torque coming out of it. Possibly part of the cause of the flutter. Speeds are guesstimated around 50 to 55mph at WOT. Nothing crazy by any means for a wing like this, but still maybe past the limit for stable flight? We shall see....
Dec 15, 2012, 04:29 PM
Registered User
Schoolya's Avatar
I am on my second popwing now. The last one i went into a dive and full speed and it destroyed its self in flutter. It was significantly reenforced too. Im guess it was at about 70mph when it went nuts. I still landed it pretty smoothly, so the electronics made it.
Dec 15, 2012, 06:36 PM
If it spins, wear it.
whirlcap's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoolya
I am on my second popwing now. The last one i went into a dive and full speed and it destroyed its self in flutter. It was significantly reenforced too. Im guess it was at about 70mph when it went nuts. I still landed it pretty smoothly, so the electronics made it.
Make your next wing an Assassin, it will take direct dives into the ground In stride.. Not to say the Popwing isn't a great wing, I have one of each.
Dec 18, 2012, 12:39 PM
STOP CALLING THEM "DRONES!!!"
Captain Ron's Avatar
I finished adding leds to my mid-sized Popwing. It came out great. I can't wait to fly it.
Dec 18, 2012, 03:56 PM
ICrashRCs
Interesting layout.
My problem is keeping up with top and bottom.
All you have is the blue tips to tell.
Let us know how it goes.
Dec 18, 2012, 06:25 PM
STOP CALLING THEM "DRONES!!!"
Captain Ron's Avatar
Those blue LEDs are super bright so I should be able to tell top from bottom. Most of the time I will be looking at the bottom of the plane while flying so it should be ok. It's windy and rainy now so maybe I can fly it later in the week.
Dec 19, 2012, 08:56 AM
Registered User
SpinningProp's Avatar
Short little video of my PopWing w/808 cam mounted on top.

Pop-Wing 900 takes to the sky (1 min 41 sec)
Dec 19, 2012, 06:44 PM
STOP CALLING THEM "DRONES!!!"
Captain Ron's Avatar
Great video!


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question Techone models?? lectroglide Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models 5 Aug 07, 2011 02:54 PM
Sold Techone Energy EPP Foamy Wattsup23 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 9 Mar 31, 2011 04:28 AM
Sold Techone Piaget 3D EPP New in box $45 shipped! Lindy757 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Mar 18, 2011 12:01 AM
Discussion TechOne F3P??? cglynn Indoor Pattern/F3P 6 Mar 11, 2011 02:24 PM
Question techone malibu 2 or techone aeolus? genesis96 Indoor Pattern/F3P 16 Jan 19, 2011 02:02 PM