Oct 25, 2012, 08:49 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecnc
I plan on getting a mini popwing after a little bit more research on how I want to set it up. At the moment I have a Tech One BF109 EPP that I can't stand the way it flies so the parts are going on the 900mm that has been shipped. I may get the 1200mm also. But I never know what might strike my fancy next. Maybe something with landing gear.
The mini is fun. I flew mine for several weeks with a Park 180 sized motor and 300 mah size battery. Flew well and fairly fast for its size. I just pumped it up (video posted about a page back) now using a blue wonder size 1500 kv with a 6x5 prop and a 800 mah battery. Will go vertical now and the speed is nearly double. Funny thing is that this was how I set it up first but was too much for me at the time. The mini is still fun fast or slow, you can't really go wrong with either set up.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 26, 2012, 08:43 AM
whirlcap, I too found my popwing fast and wild during my first few weeks of flight..
but then it became tame, and I felt it flew real snail slow.. zzzz...
I got myself a ziggi (https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...lug_n_Fly.html) as some of my friends were rampaging through my popwing with these.. hehe.. but have not flown them yet.

The popwing will stay as it is. Gonna put FPV on it
Oct 26, 2012, 09:33 AM
If it spins, wear it.
Neato4u, that is very much the case with me too. The pumped up mini is much faster but still far from blazing. These Popwings are a good place to transition to faster aircraft, I never thought I would even enjoy the speed. Now I have my eyes on either a larger faster wing or maybe the EDF glider, the Zephyr V70! That bird looks very cool. Got to watch my spending now with Winter on the way though .
Oct 26, 2012, 05:06 PM
Slopes!!!!!
New FPV compilation with the PopWing - just reached 100 subscribers so I figured that I'd edit something up

100 Subscribers FPV Thank You Edit (2 min 0 sec)

Dan
Oct 28, 2012, 11:53 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Nice video DJO,

I know of a guy out your way (here on RCGroups) that flys FPV also. He isn't using a wing though.

Flew my mini briefly today at a small park that is very close to home. The big park has an event going this weekend and flying there was off limits this weekend. At the small park I was almost instantly surrounded by two obnoxious 4 years olds asking a zillion questions and wanting me to let them fly it. One was even reaching up and grabbing at my TX all the while "mom" did nothing to gather up her kids. They finally started running around trying to catch it. Not a problem there, it was a good fifty plus feet up. I did fly it low farther out on the field and when they ran out there, I quickly landed it by me and had it in my hand before they could get there. Was almost as bad as a loose dog. Or in this case, dogs. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind kids and am happy to entertain and answer questions but these two were on the "monster" side. I was very effectively crowded out of the park after one four minute flight. I was planning to fly my Hobby Zone Champ too. that plane wouldn't have stood a chance around these two!
Oct 29, 2012, 06:53 AM
Slopes!!!!!
Really? Can you PM me his username? I've been flying solo for over a year

I had some interested kids come up to me, but they were so polite that I let them try the goggles on LOL. No parents in sight and in the middle of a field on the weekend

My dads old friend came up with his wife and daughter. They were saying that their son was super interested in RC but had only crashed his air hogs stuff so he needed help, next time I'm going up to the field, we'll meet and I'll give him some advice,

Not telling him to start with the PopWing though, especially my 60MPH+ setup

Dan
Nov 01, 2012, 01:00 PM
Foamies are my homies.
Just wanted to post another video of my mini popwing. It's hard to tell in the video but I was tring to just cruise around low at 1/4 throttle. I was also trying to fly low over the tree tops. I'm more than happy with this wing.

Techone Mini Popwing flight with onboard camera (10 min 22 sec)
Nov 02, 2012, 03:42 PM
Slopes!!!!!
My full review of the Techone PopWing is now up on YouTube! Enjoy!

Review: HK Teksumo // TechOne PopWing (900mm) (4 min 42 sec)

Dan
Nov 02, 2012, 08:37 PM
If it spins, wear it.
I forwarded your user name to him instead. I don't want to step on his toes by handing out his info and I probably over stepped things by even mentioning I knew some one. I don't know him very well and I don't know if he will contact you. He has not replied to the PM I sent him even? Maybe the storm has him busy with work or his house or something? Good luck with finding a flying buddy, I know that can be hard to do if your not with a club. I'm lucky, there are several park flyers at my local park and we all pretty much show up when the conditions are good. I'm not with a club either.
Nov 02, 2012, 08:40 PM
Slopes!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlcap
I forwarded your user name to him instead. I don't want to step on his toes by handing out his info and I probably over stepped things by even mentioning I knew some one. I don't know him very well and I don't know if he will contact you. He has not replied to the PM I sent him even? Maybe the storm has him busy with work or his house or something? Good luck with finding a flying buddy, I know that can be hard to do if your not with a club. I'm lucky, there are several park flyers at my local park and we all pretty much show up when the conditions are good. I'm not with a club either.
That's fine, it's just cool to talk to local flyers. I don't have too much of an issue flying alone the storm was harsh too especially for those down on the coast.
Nov 04, 2012, 11:24 AM
If it spins, wear it.

Mini Popwing vertical take off.

Got some Mini Popwing video. The first half is some combat and semi-formation flight with my friends Superfly. After that I figured out how to do vertical take offs. This mini isn't stock, I don't think a stock motor has enough thrust to do this. Mine is running a 1500kv Blue Wonder type motor with a 10 amp ESC and an 800 mah battery. When I stand it up, it sits on the winglets and elevons and the moment it lifts off I apply full "down" to keep it from flipping over onto its nose. The roll at take off is all torque roll and I'm doing little to counter act that so far. Mostly I just go with the torque and hold the wings level when they get there. Lots of fun!
Mini Popwing Madness (6 min 44 sec)
Nov 05, 2012, 04:19 AM
Hey guys I am having a problem with my 1200. I got it last week and have been flying it the last few days with no problem. I have a 1450kv motor and a 8x4 apc prop. I did cut the battery tray to make it bigger to move my 2200mah battery forward to get the cg right. Outside of that everything is stock. Yesterday morning I was flying it and it suddenly while in the air wanted to turn left. I put a few clicks of trim in it to try and straighten it and it didn't help much so I decided to land it thinking a control horn came loose or slid a bit. Everything was fine so I tried it again same result. The only way I can get it to fly straight is to have the right aileron up and left down quite a lot. The only thing I can come up with is maybe I am getting some adverse effects of the ailerons causing it to turn. I would like to add that my right aileron is split at the hinge for the first 6 inches by the control horn. I have repaired it with tape. I am thinking about changing the thrust angle to see if that would help or laminating the ailerons with thin ply to stiffen them up. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.
Nov 05, 2012, 10:22 AM
NorCal Prop Buster
Whirlcap, very cool launch style, I've never seen that done before, well done!
Blu
Nov 06, 2012, 10:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluhammer
Whirlcap, very cool launch style, I've never seen that done before, well done!
Blu
If you take a thin dowel rod about 12-14" long to the field with you you won't have as much trouble balancing it and once you learn the proper "angle" of launch you can do it off of nearly any surface.
Nov 06, 2012, 10:29 AM
If it spins, wear it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOfroggy
If you take a thin dowel rod about 12-14" long to the field with you you won't have as much trouble balancing it and once you learn the proper "angle" of launch you can do it off of nearly any surface.
That's a good thought but being a park, I'd be a bit afraid of leaving a rod sticking up out of the ground for some one to trip or fall on unless you mean the rod is used as a prop and falls over on launch?

Quick Reply