Sep 11, 2012, 10:06 AM
ICrashRCs
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierGuy
I have my 35 inch pop wing set up now. Not yet flown. I could not get the servos to work in the right order using my dx6i. I've tried everything. I've got it sort of working but I think I need a servo revers gadget to get it set up 100% correct. Also I put on the prop the way it looked like it should go and it didn't produce much thrust. I put the prop on backwards (at least to my eyes) and it produced a lot more thrust. Anyway, I'll try to fly it tonight.

Is it a good idea to cover the leading edge with goop or something to help protect it or make it more crash resistant?
You do not need a "reverser gadget". Keep working at switching the ail and ele leads and using Tx reversing.
Disregard the 125% video above. Not needed.

There is a bug in the DX6i Elevon programming. The fix is described in this post:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...2&postcount=35

Put the prop on with the numbers facing the nose of the plane. (assuming you did Not buy a pusher prop - never buy pusher props)
The prop should spin clockwise looking at it from the rear of the plane.

Yes, apply GOOP to the leading edges. It will take about 1/2 of a 1oz tube.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 11, 2012, 11:11 AM
Crash & Burn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron
Same here, but my motor didn't last. It already burned up after about 10 flights using a 3s 1000mah 30c. I know that motor is only for 2s but people seem to not have any issues going 3s with them (from what I've read.) I do have another one of those HXT 3000kv motors NIB (I bought two) but I don't want to put it on only to burn it up too. Right now my mini popwing is down until I figure out what motor I can use.
I only have a few flights on mine with the new motor, however the motor doesn't even get warm, so I think that it'll hold up OK. I'm only at WOT for a few seconds at a time, as my field isn't big enough to fly out too far, though the Pop Wing is so small, it'll be out of sight in a few seconds anyway....
Sep 11, 2012, 05:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmgmag
I modified my mini-Pop similar to Johnnymeg's, it flies great with a 1,000mah 3S. Really fast, slows down fairly well. Flies much better with the 5x4.3 prop than any other prop, that's using the 3,000kv HK version of the Blue Wonder. Definitely a fun little plane. Best flying wing I've ever had.
If my order ever gets here I'll be using this setup but with the 5x3 prop.
Sep 11, 2012, 07:02 PM
Mr. Magoo's Co-Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyRCs
There is a bug in the DX6i Elevon programming. The fix is described in this post:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...2&postcount=35

Thanks for the link, better alternative since it frees up one of the mix channels
Sep 11, 2012, 10:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyRCs
You do not need a "reverser gadget". Keep working at switching the ail and ele leads and using Tx reversing.
Disregard the 125% video above. Not needed.

Yes, apply GOOP to the leading edges. It will take about 1/2 of a 1oz tube.

Is GOOP the same thing as Shoo Goo?
Sep 11, 2012, 11:54 PM
Foamies are my homies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmgmag
I only have a few flights on mine with the new motor, however the motor doesn't even get warm, so I think that it'll hold up OK. I'm only at WOT for a few seconds at a time, as my field isn't big enough to fly out too far, though the Pop Wing is so small, it'll be out of sight in a few seconds anyway....
I didn't go full throttle for more than a few seconds at a time either. Motor was slightly warm as was the esc and battery after about 6-7 minutes of flying. I wonder if changing the esc timing would change anything. I think mine is set to medium right now.
Sep 12, 2012, 03:05 AM
Also, what is the best way to add weight to the nose to balance it out? I'm using a 1000mah 3 cell.
Sep 12, 2012, 11:15 AM
PSALM 14:1
Quote:
Also, what is the best way to add weight to the nose to balance it out? I'm using a 1000mah 3 cell.

My advice would be a larger/heavier lipo rather than dead weight...
Sep 12, 2012, 01:03 PM
ICrashRCs
Quote:
I thought you had a mini pop.
My mistake...
You will need to use a full 1 oz tube of GOOP for the Popwing.
I believe Shoe Goo is nearly the same if I remember that correctly.

I use a 2200 battery in mine.
You just use what size battery it takes to balance.
Sep 12, 2012, 02:55 PM
Well, if I get a larger battery I will probably order it from nitroplanes, which will take a week or so. I was simply wanting to use my 1000mah battery for the next week or so. But I need to add weight to the nose.
Sep 12, 2012, 06:16 PM
Credit card in hand, ready to order a mini from Nitroplanes,,,,,,,until the freight charge popped up. WOW !!!! $17 bucks for a $30 purchase....no thank you.

RonJ
Sep 12, 2012, 06:30 PM
maiden went ok....with the microdan 2900 and 6x4 prop I can see( using stock fin pattern transferred onto 1/16" plywood) it does have some wiggle at low speed

Also reworked the battery forward and was able to remove 4 oz of nose weight to counter balsa elevons and wood rear deck and the motor...i expected to have to move battery but wanted to wait until maiden complete as this was a total experiment.

It flys great...think I will have to add more vert. fin to help on control.....it's was carrying 30-31 oz of flight weight...so high wing loading

Will shoot video this weekend
Cp
Last edited by chippedprop; Sep 12, 2012 at 06:52 PM.
Sep 12, 2012, 06:40 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonJ
Credit card in hand, ready to order a mini from Nitroplanes,,,,,,,until the freight charge popped up. WOW !!!! $17 bucks for a $30 purchase....no thank you.

RonJ
That is a WOW! I'm sure I didn't pay that with my mini purchase from them. Seems like it was well under 10 bucks USD. Are you sure you checked the correct shipping option? Pretty sure there was several options.
Sep 12, 2012, 07:41 PM
I flew my Pow wing (35inch) this evening for the first time. Well actually my second time. My first time it went up and did a flew flips and crashed into the ground.

So I put in a new servo and taped/glued her up and this time it flew a lot better. One thing though is that it wanted to bob up and down a lot and was very sensitive with regards to elevator. Banking left and right was fine. But when I wanted to go straight or gain or lose altitude it wanted to bob up and down when I added up or down elevator.

I flew it on very low rates and I can see I'm going to have to even reduce those.

I cut the motor a few times and glided. I can see why people like to catch them. I almost glided it right to my feet.
Sep 12, 2012, 09:51 PM
Slopes!!!!!
My Popwing kit will be arriving the 17th.. going to eventually use it for FPV too!

Dan

Quick Reply