Techone POPWING and MINIPOPWING - Page 39 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Sep 07, 2012, 07:03 PM
hey guys
I'm working on a 1200 popwing......with a few mods.
check it out.....still in the build stage
Last edited by chippedprop; Sep 07, 2012 at 07:09 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 07, 2012, 07:14 PM
ZAGI Redo (7 min 43 sec)

this is the same set i will use on the popwing
2900kv microdan motor
apc prop5.5x4.4
40 amp esc
2200 ma 3 cell
Sep 08, 2012, 02:12 AM
Thats some flying!
Sep 08, 2012, 05:40 AM
Where did that tree come from
Holy smoke. Too quick for my brain.
Sep 08, 2012, 10:46 AM
Fly it low.. and fly it fast!
chippedprop, sweet setup! That should be great for the popwing!
Sep 08, 2012, 01:13 PM
I think the set up will be much faster as the popwing is smaller and thinner..had to add 2 oz nose weight as i when over kill on the trailing edge and rear deck...to get cg correct
Hoping to maiden sunday if weather ok...may by nice but windy....and if I can get it complete on saturday.
cp
Sep 08, 2012, 01:18 PM
funny thing I had the same set up on a hacker skycraver which flew out of range and never was found...so think minipop wing stupid fast or throttle down and cruise...flew it at joe nall was a big hit.
If any one is going to the triple tree e week I'll be there as I'm in spartanburg sc
Sep 10, 2012, 12:59 PM
Crash & Burn
I modified my mini-Pop similar to Johnnymeg's, it flies great with a 1,000mah 3S. Really fast, slows down fairly well. Flies much better with the 5x4.3 prop than any other prop, that's using the 3,000kv HK version of the Blue Wonder. Definitely a fun little plane. Best flying wing I've ever had.
Sep 10, 2012, 02:26 PM
STOP CALLING THEM "DRONES!!!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmgmag
I modified my mini-Pop similar to Johnnymeg's, it flies great with a 1,000mah 3S. Really fast, slows down fairly well. Flies much better with the 5x4.3 prop than any other prop, that's using the 3,000kv HK version of the Blue Wonder. Definitely a fun little plane. Best flying wing I've ever had.
Same here, but my motor didn't last. It already burned up after about 10 flights using a 3s 1000mah 30c. I know that motor is only for 2s but people seem to not have any issues going 3s with them (from what I've read.) I do have another one of those HXT 3000kv motors NIB (I bought two) but I don't want to put it on only to burn it up too. Right now my mini popwing is down until I figure out what motor I can use.
Sep 10, 2012, 04:44 PM

Pop Wing 1200 MM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyRCs
My kit is still in the box.
Kind of waiting to hear of a good powertrain myself.
I have one of these:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=12919
Or this:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...tor_420w_.html
I have just flown my 1200 MM pop wing and it flies like its on rails--I love it!! I used a Slo Fly 400 from Headsup R/C with an APC 9 inch prop. I used a 2200 Mah battery set at the 196 MM CG mark and it was a beautiful flight. I had to keep the 1/4 inch reflex on the elevrons for takeoff and WOT. The throttle was closed to 1/2 of that amount for the rest of the flight shortly after gaining 100 feet of altitude and slight down elevrons trim correction. This is the most stable bird I have ever flown, majestic in flight and felt "solid" on the sticks too! Try one and you'll see what I mean!

Ron
Sep 10, 2012, 04:59 PM

Mini Pop Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron
Same here, but my motor didn't last. It already burned up after about 10 flights using a 3s 1000mah 30c. I know that motor is only for 2s but people seem to not have any issues going 3s with them (from what I've read.) I do have another one of those HXT 3000kv motors NIB (I bought two) but I don't want to put it on only to burn it up too. Right now my mini popwing is down until I figure out what motor I can use.
I used a Eflite 180 motor with a 6 X 5 (I think) prop on it. I flew it indoors as it was windy for the test flight and it was great! I didn't think the Eflite 180 would push it around but wow was I wrong! That little motor screamed around the dome at Tolland Star Hill and everyone who was skeptical were as surprised as I was. The wing is really maneuverable and rather fast for the indoors (or is it I am too slow for it?). I used 5 gram servos and an 800 Mah battery that was laying around. I paid under $30.00 for the kit--what a bargain.

Ron
Sep 10, 2012, 06:42 PM
I have my 35 inch pop wing set up now. Not yet flown. I could not get the servos to work in the right order using my dx6i. I've tried everything. I've got it sort of working but I think I need a servo revers gadget to get it set up 100% correct. Also I put on the prop the way it looked like it should go and it didn't produce much thrust. I put the prop on backwards (at least to my eyes) and it produced a lot more thrust. Anyway, I'll try to fly it tonight.

Is it a good idea to cover the leading edge with goop or something to help protect it or make it more crash resistant?
Sep 10, 2012, 09:07 PM
PSALM 14:1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierGuy
I've got it sort of working...

And you're going to try and fly it with things "sort of" working?

Sounds like a recipe for a crash.

Your DX6i should be able to do elevon mixing no problem. It's just a matter of the right combination--servo connections at Rx (ail & elev.), servo reversing, etc.

Make sure you have some up reflex set on your elevons or she'll dive for the deck right after the launch. About 1/8 - 1/4" to start with and fine tune from there.

Good luck!
Sep 10, 2012, 09:38 PM
Mr. Magoo's Co-Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy70

Make sure you have some up reflex set on your elevons or she'll dive for the deck right after the launch. About 1/8 - 1/4" to start with and fine tune from there.

Good luck!
This YOU TUBE video talks about not enough throw for elevon on a DX6i unless the two mix settings (mix 1 & 2) are used to get 100% aileron/elevator throw. I did this with my Dx6i to get more throw -. But when I launch I have to put in quite a bit of up elevator to avoid the nose dive. So is there another way to get REFLEX besides using one of the mixes?

How to: Dx6i with elevon mixing to get 125% throw (9 min 0 sec)
Sep 10, 2012, 11:34 PM
PSALM 14:1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUMPEE
So is there another way to get REFLEX besides using one of the mixes?

You can add reflex mechanically--just adjust the elevon linkage so each control surface is UP about 1/8 - 1/4" with the servo in the neutral position.

I like about 3/4" of throw on both elevons in all directions.