Apr 22, 2011, 06:16 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

The ELECTRONIC Wheelie Bar Experiment

Here is one interesting experiment of using a gyro in managing the throttle during hard accelerations. The idea is block of any torque spikes on the motor during acceleration thus preventing or minimizing the front wheel lift up (wheelies) during a THROTTLE PUNCH Acceleration.

This is done by using a gyro that reacts along the front-to-rear axis (elevator axis ? ) which progressively or manages the acceleration and less of the wheelies. This is done by simply reducing the speed of the motor whenever the front wheels go up.

The gyro does not affect the top speed of the vehicle. It simply manages the throttle channel during the acceleration process while the car is going through its maximum speed state;

Diagram;

As a further enhancement, a 3rd channel throttle mix is needed to manage the gyro's gain setting blocking or minimizing ESC activation at 0 or minimum throttle

Actual setup as implemented on a 2WD Rear Wheel Drive Micro T

View with the Canopy Mounted;

View of the gyro from the side;

TEST Video:

Test THROTTLE PUNCH run on 3S 10300KV Burshless minus the wheelies

Electronic Wheelie Bar : Micro T test run (0 min 55 sec)

and here is a TILT Test showing gyro function across the throttle channel;

Electronic Wheelie Bar : Micro T tilt test 2 (0 min 39 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Apr 24, 2011, 11:10 PM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
very cool, its sort of like an anti roll system or traction control! i wonder how does it affect the car over a jump?
Apr 28, 2011, 05:56 AM
loving this, do you think you will be able to implement a similar system in a larger car/truck?
and what about 4wd?
Jun 03, 2011, 09:56 AM
Instead of having it set so that the front wheels never leave the ground, could you set it to "balance" a wheelie?
Sep 01, 2011, 02:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by norco kid
Instead of having it set so that the front wheels never leave the ground, could you set it to "balance" a wheelie?
This was exactly my idea, it should be possible... I thought nobody had thought if this at all, but apparently I am never first with an idea Actually my idea was simply that the throttle channel control the angle (pitch) of the car! This would need a big dead-band in the middle to allow one to stop...

Also Im not sure a micro-t is good for this, too small and it will probably be harder to wheelie than a bigger car. I have a micro-t and several standard RC gyros laying around, but Im just not sure it will work, considering mine is stock and doesnt wheely that easily.

Quick Reply