A flying Volkswaffe? - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Apr 20, 2011, 10:35 PM
Registered Airplane Offender
Build Log

A flying Volkswaffe?

One of the most secretive and elusive of the Nazi experimental weapons in World War 2, the VOLKSWAFFE is just now beginning to come to light. Shadowed in rumor for many many years, we are still left with many questions about this remarkable aircraft which sadly (or fortunately) never achieved its true potential.

Volkswaffe: The Flying Cars of Nazi Germany (2 min 57 sec)

Hoooookay. In this thread, I shall chronicle my attempt to build an ACTUAL FLYING VOLKSWAFFE! So far all I have is a 3 view and the side panels cut. This will probably be one of those quick and dirty builds (much like the maiden flight I suppose) so we'll get this over with quick.

I am cheating a little by adding some stubby wings to the sides just behind the front wheels to provide not so much lift as aileron roll ability.

Think of this thing as a box kite trying to be an R/C airplane. The elevators will be housed inside the paneled exterior, directly behind the motor. The motor, like a heart, is mounted in the deep center of the 'box kite'. Straight-though airflow over the 3 horizontal panels provides (hopefully) stability in lieu of larger wings. I'm not sure how helpful you guys find the little 3 view I have drawn, but I'll do my best to explain.

Barrett
to remove ads between posts
Apr 20, 2011, 11:20 PM
Name: 230033245v3_400x400_Front_Color-BlueWhite.jpg
Views: 244
Size: 42.9 KB
Description:
Der Volkswaffe, ya Vol!
Apr 21, 2011, 12:48 AM
Foam abuser!
Barrett,

I'm here and ready to lend a hand! I'd love to see this in the air!

I even have the Luftwaffe decals ready for it.

Pat
Apr 21, 2011, 12:53 AM
Foam abuser!
Barrett,

I wonder. Instead of having "wings", why not forego them and enlarge the elevator and turn it into elevons? Like my pusher jets. I bet it could be done!

Maybe make two, one with and one without? I'll be happy to provide the power system for the second one. In fact, just got some more motors/ESCs today.

Pat
Apr 21, 2011, 01:22 AM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
The where many wings for the original VW beetle.

some posibilities there
Apr 21, 2011, 01:25 AM

Paint Job

I propose this paint job
Apr 21, 2011, 03:50 AM
I SEE look's like DUCKED FAN haha
Apr 21, 2011, 08:06 AM
SG Talon... Super Genius.
I just don't get it. How was this thing supposed to fly? It looks like they just used it as a bomb or something.

Did they drop it from a bomber? This has to be some kind of joke or something!
Apr 21, 2011, 08:09 AM
I want the captured American version
Apr 21, 2011, 08:31 AM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGTalon
I just don't get it. How was this thing supposed to fly? It looks like they just used it as a bomb or something.

Did they drop it from a bomber? This has to be some kind of joke or something!
yes that video was just a joke, not actually part of a documentary

i have the feeling this may like to fly inverted more than upright
Apr 21, 2011, 09:36 AM
Is there going to be any lifting surface near the front of the car?
Apr 21, 2011, 11:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat
Barrett,

I wonder. Instead of having "wings", why not forego them and enlarge the elevator and turn it into elevons? Like my pusher jets. I bet it could be done!
The thing I like about wings is that they give me a specific point at which to balance the aircraf-er... vehicle. I can point to a spot 25% back of the LE and say THAT'S where it should balance.

Personally, of course I'd rather see it without wings, and maybe we might go back and remove the wings later, but I feel a little... safer with the stubby little wings. Who knows, maybe we'll delete the wings before the flight. I just want to know for sure where the CG is.

I'm calling this the Volkswaffe-E or Emile. The first 4 variants had no wings and depended totally on inadequet primitive fly-by-wire technology for stability which is why they had so many accidents. When the Emile arrived, they finally added some suplimental wings for stability.

Or am I ruining it?
Apr 21, 2011, 11:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Bottle
Is there going to be any lifting surface near the front of the car?
Yes, I am planning to use the short wings up behind the forward fenders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derk
i have the feeling this may like to fly inverted more than upright
Hmmm. Maybe I should add some dihedral? It wouldn't be scale I suppose if it didn't fly funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Huerta
I propose this paint job
Another good proposal.
Last edited by greenseaships; Apr 21, 2011 at 11:26 AM.
Apr 21, 2011, 02:05 PM
When pigs fly rc
very cool good luck
Apr 21, 2011, 03:44 PM
Foam abuser!
I'm digging the look so far! How wide is the prop opening? At least 6.5" I hope?

Pat