Warning! Propeller injury (Not for weak stomach) - RC Groups
Apr 20, 2011, 10:32 PM
Alert

Warning! Propeller injury (Not for weak stomach)

Today I had a stupid injury. Even though I've read articles warning me to take off the propellers when I'm working on my multi-copter, I thought it would be fine. I thought everything was under control. That is until I armed my hexacopter inside my house and it decided to go full throttle 100% power with the throttle in the down or 0% position. I've been working on my ardupirates software and obviously I don't have something set up right. After the motors spooled up I grabbed the bottom to stop it from launching into the ceiling and then with the other arm pulled the battery out. Anyways, anyone out there who works with their propellers on, do yourself a favor and take them off so you don't end up like me or worse.

to remove ads between posts
Apr 20, 2011, 10:45 PM
Je Suis Turkana Boy
Quote:
Originally Posted by evo585
Today I had a stupid injury. Even though I've read articles warning me to take off the propellers when I'm working on my multi-copter, I thought it would be fine. I thought everything was under control. That is until I armed my hexacopter inside my house and it decided to go full throttle 100% power with the throttle in the down or 0% position. I've been working on my ardupirates software and obviously I don't have something set up right. After the motors spooled up I grabbed the bottom to stop it from launching into the ceiling and then with the other arm pulled the battery out. Anyways, anyone out there who works with their propellers on, do yourself a favor and take them off so you don't end up like me or worse.
YIKES! We need to figure out how to incorporate one of these!

THE WORLD'S SAFEST TABLE SAW - Will Not Cut your fingers! (0 min 56 sec)
Apr 20, 2011, 10:47 PM
Looks serious. Glad you got it stitched up. Perhaps your posting of the pictures will help someone else. I use a steel stool overtop mine after one hit me in the face doing similar damage.
Apr 20, 2011, 11:19 PM
Suspended Account
If you think that's bad and it is, you obviously have never tangled with a 16X6 nylon prop turning 10K rpm. I have These things all have the potential to mame or even kill under the right circumstances.
Apr 21, 2011, 03:03 AM
MultiRotor Jedi
OUCH
I have been bitten too, three years full time Multi_rotor, and the Quad took of my finger tips, that was last year. I still have little feeling in my middle finger.

I feel your pain, hope it heals soon mate !

Simon
Apr 21, 2011, 03:16 AM
Feel your pain. L forearm, Chest and Long sleeve shirt sacrificed to the fickle Hexacopter on Saturday(water on board = ghost startup). No stitches, but I carry lidocaine and nylon sutures just in case. Be on the watch out.
Apr 21, 2011, 03:57 AM
http://drone-pilot.blogspot.fr
It must be the season! I have some minor cuts on both wrists from playing with my multiwiicopter over the last couple of days. It looks a bit like an unsuccessful attempt at slitting my wrists.

Sometimes you have to have the props on when testing, because you need to feel how the copter is reacting when you try to move it with the props spinning. Both of my injuries came from me holding the centre frame from above and moving it around when one motor suddenly decides to go full throttle and the sudden twist caught me by surprise.
Apr 21, 2011, 04:43 AM
Tethering people, tethering! All it takes is a big piece of cardboard and some string to tie down each corner so it cannot fly too high.

That said, I'm just as guilty as you guys when I used to have helis. The thing that scares me the most is getting down to eye level with the blades to check the blade tracking though. I'm going to start using a big piece of perspex now I think...
Apr 21, 2011, 05:12 AM
Ouch! Hope you heal quickly But if you're using ardupirates software surely it's good to have a few scars... arrrrrrr!

Seems like a LOT of multirotor users have received quite nasty injuries. Might be worth having a sticky thread to show new guys (and remind old guys) have dangerous these things can be.

Ben.
Apr 21, 2011, 05:19 AM
Wishing you a Speedy recovery. You are lucky compared to sheppard599 over at the EDF forum. His EDf blades exploded and shrapnel flew into his eyes. We are all praying for him not to lose his eye sight in one of his eyes.
Apr 21, 2011, 05:48 AM
OUCH
I got myself a few months back. The prop got me 6 or 7 times (small deep cuts) before I was quick enough to pull my hand out of the way.
These "toys" we play with bite.
Rob
Apr 21, 2011, 06:07 AM
Suspended Account
Ouch! On the bright side, chicks dig scars...j/k. I also get very nervous when I'm testing around eye level. I teather mine, but I am also going to start wearing eye protection when I test.
Apr 21, 2011, 08:18 AM
Thanx for the support. I was really lucky. Another inch to the side and my radial artery would have been hit. Thank God for that. I'm hoping to bring just a little more awareness, especially to the new people.
Apr 21, 2011, 09:05 AM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
Evo,
Yep these things are flying Cuisanarts. Glad you are repairable Consider re-posting this in the Multicopter safety thread here: --Multicopter Safety: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1144377

What multicopter board were you using when that happened?

Tip: Use an emery board or sandpaper to round and dull the edges to get rid of manufacturing flashing on all your props for added safety. The manufacturing flashing on the front of the blades makes the prop edges like a dangerous razor.
Cheers,
Jim
Vote for my Bro Joe here: Quadrocopter and Tricopter Mega Link Index
Last edited by jesolins; Apr 21, 2011 at 11:04 AM.
Apr 21, 2011, 09:39 AM
That doesn't look good. Hope it heals quickly for you.

The right side of that stitching could use some cyano with kicker to seal up the leak.

Quick Reply