Plans for the "Relax" - RC Groups
This thread is privately moderated by metrorcflying, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Apr 20, 2011, 04:05 PM
Discussion

Plans for the "Relax"

I am uploading my modified plans for the "Relax".
This is an ongoing plan set since I continue to modify the plane.
Updated April 26,2011.
Here are some of my building instructions:

I used a piece of drywall to build the plane on. I put the plans over the drywall and then I cut 3/8” by about 1ft. strips of 2mm Depron foam and laid them between where the carbon rods would be. This kept the glue from sticking the rods to the plans.

I then pinned the curved rods in place using T-pins and a tack hammer. I laid the straight pieces over the first rods and then put a very small drop of CA (cyanoacrylate) on each joint. As soon as I put the glue on I touched it with a scrap of paper towel to wick off almost all of the CA. and then I put a drop of kicker on the joint. You don’t want to add much weight to each joint because there are so many of them.

You can buy a roll of very small tubing at the hobby shop that has about a 1/25” hole in the middle. I put this tubing in the top of the CA and the kicker bottles. The tubing is usually close to the CA display in the hobby shop and is sold for this purpose. For the kicker I save an empty CA bottle and clean it out so that I can put the kicker in it. This uses much less kicker and gives you better control.

After getting all the rods glued I very carefully pick it up and take it to my vise. I take a piece of fine thread about 15” long and put one end of it in the vise to hold it so I can pull it really tight. Get your CA, kicker and some scraps of paper towel handy and wrap the joint 3 or 4 times with the thread. With one end held by the vise pull on the other end and stretch as tight as you can without breaking the thread. Put a drop of CA on the joint wick off with the paper towel add kicker. Sometimes the rods may come loose before you get them all wrapped. You just have to put them back on the plans and redo them.

I built the wings in 2 half’s and spiced them so that they could lay flat on the plans. Remember to put the hinges on before you glue the rods together for all the control surfaces.

To build the stab and horizontal part of the fuse and line-up the wing I cut the plans into 2 pieces and put the vertical part of the fuse between 2 tables, which are the same height. I use tables with folding legs that you can buy to build on but any tables will do if they are the same height.

I used two servos because if you use just one you have to add a lot of bracing to keep the aileron from bending. The servos only weigh 4 grams after lightning them and the bracing can add up to that in a hurry also without wheels the plane can’t take off from a smooth floor but if you mix flaperons in on your radio it will take off with flaps. I also mixed elevator to flaps, like a control line plane, so that it tightens up the loops a little. (When you give it up elevator the flaps will go down and vice versa).
Last edited by metrorcflying; Apr 26, 2011 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Updating Relax Plans
to remove ads between posts
May 31, 2011, 07:37 PM

"Balsa Lock" vendor

Could you tell me where I can purchase balsa lock in the USA?
Much appreciation,
Rocky
May 31, 2011, 09:14 PM

Where to buy Balsaloc

You can buy Balsaloc from BP Hobbies:
http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...48&pid=glue014
I see it listed there for $5.95 plus shipping.