Apr 20, 2011, 10:24 AM
Rich Utkan 1947-2019 RIP
Thread OP
Rant

Mich. State police now extract info on cell phones during minor traffic stops..

Another unlawfull way of obtaining personal info...when is this nonsense gonna stop.?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~

Michigan State Police use device to search driver cell phones during traffic stops.

...if you're pulled over by the Michigan State Police for anything -- an improper turn, a partially obscured license plate, or maybe a cop's whim -- they can search your cell phone using a device called the CelleBrite UFED. That means text messages, photos, videos, contacts, who you've called, what apps you've downloaded, GPS data that reveals where you've been, even deleted data.

http://www.itworld.com/legal/157655/...-traffic-stops

http://mountainrepublic.net/2011/04/...traffic-stops/
Apr 20, 2011, 10:34 AM
Radix malorum est cupiditas
Pretty big leap to say that the state police would use this on a routine traffic stop. Horsepucky for not releasing what they are doing through the FOIA, seems like a warrant is needed for acquiring any personal data - which private messages and photos are.

I would be very surprised if tech like this is used beyond what limited CSI actions they do.
Apr 20, 2011, 10:54 AM
We want... Information!
Don't Panic! There's a simple device you can make, which prevents your cellphione from getting UFED.

Tin foil hat
Apr 20, 2011, 11:31 AM
For your own good.
He would find me pretty boring.
Apr 20, 2011, 12:45 PM
This should be used to catch drivers that are using these devices while driving.
Lets say you get pulled over for restricting traffic or perhaps a unsafe lane change.
Then the data retrieved could be used as evidence against you .
On another point the data could prove that you weren't using the device at the time of a ticket and you're just a bad driver.

This distracted driving crap has got to stop.

Another way is to use a cell phone jammer.
Real handy for ending the calls of folks driving in front of you .
But those are illegal to own in the US
Apr 20, 2011, 12:47 PM
Radix malorum est cupiditas
another way is to turn the phone off...
Apr 20, 2011, 01:34 PM
Out of Time
I don't think that you who mock this are aware of just how dangerous it is.

Quote:
A US Department of Justice test of the CelleBrite UFED used by Michigan police found the device could grab all of the photos and video off of an iPhone within one-and-a-half minutes. The device works with 3000 different phone models and can even defeat password protections.

"Complete extraction of existing, hidden, and deleted phone data, including call history, text messages, contacts, images, and geotags," a CelleBrite brochure explains regarding the device's capabilities. "The Physical Analyzer allows visualization of both existing and deleted locations on Google Earth. In addition, location information from GPS devices and image geotags can be mapped on Google Maps."

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/34/3458.asp

I won't insult anyone to point out the obvious how crazy the Lefties would get if this had happened under Bush's watch. You all know the frothing of the mouth that would have ensued.

I'll just say that this is dangerous and is a direct violation of the Fourth Amendment against unreasonable searches.
Of course, the Constitution doesn't mean much to a lot of Obama voters these days.
Apr 20, 2011, 01:55 PM
Rich Utkan 1947-2019 RIP
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highflight

I won't insult anyone to point out the obvious how crazy the Lefties would get if this had happened under Bush's watch. You all know the frothing of the mouth that would have ensued.

I'll just say that this is dangerous and is a direct violation of the Fourth Amendment against unreasonable searches.
Of course, the Constitution doesn't mean much to a lot of Obama voters these days.
That's exactly what I was thinking..this is a very dangerous law,I'm sure the lawyers will be falling all over themselves to defend people on this illegal search of personal info.

I can't help but wonder how many older people have cell pics of their grandchildren...you know,just after they've been bathed.

..then,the state trooper asks ..'why do you have naked children pics.?Do you have any felony convictions for trafficing kiddy p0rn.?

'You are under arrest..you have the right...(yadda yadda)'
Apr 20, 2011, 01:59 PM
already ruff, trying for ready
Quote:
Per your link the program existed in August 2008, when it first came to the attention of the ACLU. Bush was President then so it did happen under Bush's watch, not that it was his fault. The only one insulted by your post is you, by you.
Last edited by Ruffin Ready; Apr 20, 2011 at 02:14 PM.
Apr 20, 2011, 02:53 PM
Creations Aberration
Quote:

Yes because look at all the "Lefties" discussing what a great thing this is & how they don't care about the Fourth Amendment.
http://www.democraticunderground.com...ss=102x4820681

NO PEACE
K~

Oh look they're so unconcerned about the violation of their Constitutional Rights that you have to search for the article, not like it's on the front page or anything.

But do please keep "catapulting the propaganda" like your beloved buffoon Bush, it keeps us entertained.
Last edited by Aethertek; Oct 15, 2011 at 11:24 PM.
Apr 20, 2011, 03:47 PM
If the winds blowin, I'm goin!
Personally, I'm not worried about it as I don't have a cell phone..but it's a scary dangerous thing they're doing, IMHO..
Y'know, it's funny. The most worry free and comfortable I've ever felt in my life, is when I was in the USAF..felt more free on base than I do in my own home town.
Cash
Apr 20, 2011, 03:51 PM
Low, slow and dirty
Quote:

Maybe the patriot act makes it legal. I'd like to see this issue go to the courts.
Apr 20, 2011, 04:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpinjo
Maybe the patriot act makes it legal. I'd like to see this issue go to the courts.
+1
Apr 20, 2011, 05:13 PM
Figure Nine Champ
I hear the iPhone is coming out with this new killer ap.
Apr 20, 2011, 05:31 PM
Slope Stud
I found out about this months ago from a case here in California.
A bad guy no doubt was caught selling drugs to a undercover cop, they took his phone and found the text 6-4-80 and this proved to them that 6 pills for $80. and they took this to the judge. the judge allowed it and the bad guy appelled the case.

The CA supreme court ruled that the cell phone was like a container.. they had previously ruled that the officer could check inside small packages (cig boxes)for contraband and there thought twas that the cell phone was a container.

This is a terrible ruling for the 4th amendment!
left/right I can't think of anyone who would agree with that ruling.

A sad day for Liberty.

Oranator

Quick Reply