Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Thread Tools
Apr 20, 2011, 06:48 AM
Closed Account
Discussion

Dipoles for 2,4Ghz Receivers


Today I have tested my new 2,4Ghz dipole antennas. I use the Frsky telemetry. If the model comes close to the end of range the telemetry will give you an alarm by a bieb from the rc tx. If using a video TX on board the range will drop enormously. Using original Frsky antennas the max. range for my model was about 200 meter. So I changed the original rx antennas for home made dipoles. Just that simple gives you about 3-4 times more range. If using a better antenna for your rc tx, you can fly several kilometers without any problem. So, today I made a video of the results.


Test Frsky Receiver Folded Dipole (4 min 22 sec)


Robert.
Last edited by bluefalconhollan; Mar 03, 2016 at 01:23 PM.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Apr 20, 2011, 11:53 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
carguy1994ca's Avatar
Can it work with spektrum receivers ? If so, how do you conenct it ? And where do you buy the antennas ?
Apr 20, 2011, 12:01 PM
Closed Account
It should work with spektrum receivers too. I just do not know how the antenna's connected to the print of a spektrum receiver, do you have any pictures?

Soon I will make a few antenna's more and will place pictures how to make them yourself.
Apr 20, 2011, 12:55 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
carguy1994ca's Avatar
This one is from a park flyer AR6100 receiver, I believe the long range receiver antennas should be attached the same way ( not my pic) ?
Apr 20, 2011, 01:50 PM
Registered User
not103's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefalconhollan
Today I have tested my new 2,4Ghz dipole antennas. I use the Frsky telemetry. If the model comes close to the end of range the telemetry will give you an alarm by a bieb from the rc tx. If using a video TX on board the range will drop enormously. Using original Frsky antennas the max. range for my model was about 200 meter. So I changed the original rx antennas for home made dipoles. Just that simple gives you about 3-4 times more range. If using a better antenna for your rc tx, you can fly several kilometers without any problem. So, today I made a video of the results.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qO3sGDkHUYg

Robert.
Be careful with 900 mhz VTX close to the FrSky receiver it can drastically reduce the range.
On the fist test of my system (FrSky + 900Mhz VTX channel 4) I had a lot of failsafe at 100-200mt.
Adding some distance between VTX and rx (40cm more or less) and twisted video cable now I fly to 1.5km with standard antenna and 2.2km with the +5db (I think the range could be little bit more, this is the maximum with my 900Mhz 200mw VTX with standard antenna and 8db patch on VRX).

Now I have to test the FrSky patch, I hope to fly without poroblems to 3-3.5 km...

we will see
Apr 20, 2011, 01:54 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
carguy1994ca's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by not103
Be careful with 900 mhz VTX close to the FrSky receiver it can drastically reduce the range.
On the fist test of my system (FrSky + 900Mhz VTX channel 4) I had a lot of failsafe at 100-200mt.
Adding some distance between VTX and rx (40cm more or less) and twisted video cable now I fly to 1.5km with standard antenna and 2.2km with the +5db (I think the range could be little bit more, this is the maximum with my 900Mhz 200mw VTX with standard antenna and 8db patch on VRX).

Now I have to test the FrSky patch, I hope to fly without poroblems to 3-3.5 km...

we will see
Wow ! I get good signal with spektrum 2,4 up to 2500 feet, but after that it is not safe, lots of drop out.
Apr 20, 2011, 02:23 PM
NDw
NDw
Registered User
Excellent results blue. I presume these along with a low pass filter should give very good results.
Apr 20, 2011, 02:23 PM
Closed Account
@carguy1994ca: I do not know how to connect a dipole to that receiver. The frsky has 2 U.fl connectors.

@not 103: do you use the frsky telemetry version? I add distance about 60 cm between VTX and frsky receiver.
Apr 20, 2011, 02:35 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
carguy1994ca's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDw
Excellent results blue. I presume these along with a low pass filter should give very good results.
What is a low pass filter ? Is it like a LC filter ?
Apr 20, 2011, 02:42 PM
Closed Account
A low pass Antenna filter is used to reduce the unwanted harmonics on wireless video transmitters. Ideal for reducing the video transmitter's radiated EMI / RFI (RF noise) that often causes interference to nearby electronics.

I also used in the past a low pass filter but without any result.
Apr 20, 2011, 02:43 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
carguy1994ca's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefalconhollan
A low pass Antenna filter is used to reduce the unwanted harmonics on wireless video transmitters. Ideal for reducing the video transmitter's radiated EMI / RFI (RF noise) that often causes interference to nearby electronics.

I also used in the past a low pass filter but it didn't help at all.
Where can you buy one for 900 mhz ?
Apr 20, 2011, 02:44 PM
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy1994ca
Where can you buy one for 900 mhz ?
http://www.nghobbies.com/cart/index....roducts_id=564
Apr 20, 2011, 03:19 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
carguy1994ca's Avatar
Thanks !
Apr 21, 2011, 04:25 AM
Martin - AKA mr.sneezy
PLMS's Avatar

Where from ?


Hi Blue Falcon, where did you buy the dipoles from, or did you make them ?
Martin
Apr 21, 2011, 04:36 AM
Closed Account
Martin,

I make the folded dipoles myself, a tutorial comes later. Eventually if there is enough interest I can make a set for 26 dollar.

Robert.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question 2.4GHz Parkflyer Receivers vs Full Range Receivers Tabasco Radios 3 Apr 14, 2011 04:27 PM
Sold JR/SPEKTRUM 2.4GHz Transmitters and Receivers gopherhunter Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 7 Mar 26, 2011 01:31 PM
Sold Futaba 2.4GHz receivers Rairwalk Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 2 Mar 14, 2011 05:28 PM
Sold 2x Airtronics 2.4ghz 10ch FHSS-3 Receivers (92104) Garret H Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 3 Mar 07, 2011 02:50 PM
Sold Hitec Spectra 2.4GHz Module & 2-Optima 7Ch 2.4GHZ receivers $105 shipped flyingrandy55 Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 3 Dec 02, 2009 12:56 PM