Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Apr 19, 2011, 09:21 PM
Discussion

Maxford Hughes H-1

Hello everyone; I purchased a Hughes H-1 from a member here and I'm so pleased with it that I wanted to post. I searched for threads on it, everything I found was over a year old. Most of the posts in those threads talked about it being difficult to fly and because I found this not true on mine, thought I'd let everyone know how it really flies. As I write this, it's still showing on the Maxford web site, so I think still available and I may get a backup kit as this is a keeper.

Mine was built with retracts and a contra rotating motor, so it may be a little heavier than a single prop motor. The retract install was very well done, all I had to do is set end points and it was ready to go.

On 3 cell 2200 I am measuring 41 amps with the 9x7 props cut down to 8" diameter. It was pulling 45 amps with the full 9x7 and the specs on the motor say 37 amps max. Things were a little warm after the first flight, so reducing the diameter dropped the current and subsequent flights were not so warm.

I find the H-1 to be very stable and smooth and of course fast. Believe the motor system is putting out around 375 watts so it moves out great. Takeoffs are at half throttle, most cruising at around 1/4 and I plan to keep it that way until I can get some flights with a data logger and see what kind of current it's pulling in the air. Its fast enough at half throttle though. Basic aerobatics are- stable and smooth too. Landing is a piece of cake, I usually approach at about 1/4 throttle and don't cut power until I'm on final. Even then I keep some power on until touchdown as that big set of props can act as a brake if you cut power completely.

Here's a video so you can see for yourself!

(4 min 14 sec)

This is a really enjoyable plane and I highly recommend it to anyone interested in the H-1. I also find the motor with its dual props and speed controls to be interesting and fun, sure looks mean taxing around and you can hear the high whine in the air, almost sounds supercharged!
to remove ads between posts
Apr 19, 2011, 09:24 PM

pictures too

And a few pictures on the ground.....
Apr 19, 2011, 10:16 PM
Very cool! Did the full scale have the contra rotating props? I don't remember seeing them in "The Aviator".
Apr 20, 2011, 06:25 AM
No, the H-1 did not have contra rotating props. But the model sure looks cool with them! It is quite interesting to take off compared to my other tail draggers: stays very straight and when the tail comes up, it doesn't require right rudder to stay straight. One of the reasons I bought it was to get the experience of flying with no "P" factor or torque. Maybe that's why it tracks so smoothly in the air.
Jul 21, 2011, 02:35 PM
I like it! My LHS has one in stock and I am thinking of getting it. I am an advanced flyer with 15 years experience (all kinds of planes sizes and types from Nitro to Electric). I have a 480 brushless I am not using with a 30amp ESC and 3S 2200mah. Based on the specs this should be more than enough power (250 watts at approx. 25 amps). I will put retracts in her as well.
Just 2 questions: 1) Your opinion on that power setup. 2) how was the quality of the build. I read the manual on-line and everything looked straight forward.
Thanks for your opinions...it is greatly appreciated.
Jul 21, 2011, 03:30 PM
I think the 480 will fly it as the factory recommended motor uses a 25a esc and the same batteries. The Eflite 480 may be a little heavier, but what I'm using is heavier too and it handles it fine. Think you will be just as fast as mine but with a lot longer run time as my twin motor setup really uses the current fast.

Can't tell you much about the build as I didn't build this one. I really like the concealed elevator and rudder setup though. I'm thinking that the retracts will be the most time consuming part of the build (as usual).

It's worth putting the work into though- really flies stable and smooth and looks great in the air too.

Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by warwickcorvette1
I like it! My LHS has one in stock and I am thinking of getting it. I am an advanced flyer with 15 years experience (all kinds of planes sizes and types from Nitro to Electric). I have a 480 brushless I am not using with a 30amp ESC and 3S 2200mah. Based on the specs this should be more than enough power (250 watts at approx. 25 amps). I will put retracts in her as well.
Just 2 questions: 1) Your opinion on that power setup. 2) how was the quality of the build. I read the manual on-line and everything looked straight forward.
Thanks for your opinions...it is greatly appreciated.
Jul 21, 2011, 04:49 PM
Thanks so much for your feedback. Very appreciated!
Jul 22, 2011, 12:11 PM
Glad your enjoying it Ken! better than it hanging up in my room
Jul 22, 2011, 12:57 PM
Thank you SilentHunter! It's the one plane in my fleet that I always take to the field. The club members like it too, they are always taking pictures of it, here's the latest one.
Jul 22, 2011, 01:26 PM
Nice

The Maxford kits are good, I built this one and the Albatross, both very well built and engineered kits. The downside is that they are not the most accurate in terms of scale, but they look nice and capture the spirit of the real ones IMO.
Jul 24, 2011, 02:30 PM
Hey guys...I bought the Maxford Nieuport 28 Friday and just finished it. I looks unreal! The build was very nice...but I will not lie....the struts and guy wires were a little tricky. It was challenging to tighten everything with little room under the top wing when using a screwdriver and fearing for slipping and poking a hole in the covering. I know the Albatros had these pre-installed as I looked inside the box when I was comparing the two. They made that one easier in this respect. I could not reverse my shaft in the motor I had so I could not get the Albatros. The only mod I did was use my own linkage. But....it came out beautiful. I have a 480 motor with a 2200mah and it balanced out perfectly (which is rare). The details are incredible!!!! I will update you guys on the maiden voyage when the wind drops a bit.

Quick Reply