The Puddle Shark! ADDED NEW HD DURATION FLIGHT!FREE PDF PLANS by BILLWHIT - Page 4 - RC Groups
Apr 22, 2011, 10:08 PM
7up
7up
,ɯǝ ʇoƃ ɐʎ ɟı ,ɯǝ ǝʞoɯs
I may have read it, if I did, I forgot it, but what was the final WS and AUW? Just curious about the wing loading?

-Buk
to remove ads between posts
Apr 23, 2011, 07:47 AM
For us He died, in me He lives
Hey Buk, ALBRT did mention it was the same size as the J-Bug which would put it at 22" ws. No AUW reported yet though. He has a park 250 on there tho so I am very curious. The original weight before a few hot glue fixes on the orig J-Bug was 3.5 oz's.
Apr 23, 2011, 05:05 PM
BOXFUSE KING!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1sfb
NIce video Albert!

I have been building one virtually. Still working on it.

Ken
Thanks Sir Ken, that skp model looks awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwhit
Nice video Albert! It sounded like the barking pooches didn't like you flying though!

It looks like you have just a bit more room in front or your house than I do. The most I've gotten away with is a small Airhog RTF, and they ended up in the trees more than once. I have one more project I have to finish up before I start this one though. The weather's getting nicer and it's going to be harder to spend time in the basement building...
The dogs wants to eat my BUG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hatch
Hey KP,

Very nice job on the Puddle Bug. I like it a lot! A while back I built a 30 inch Mud Bug
as well as a 36 inch J-bug. I do like my "Bugs" and am tickled to see one as nicely
executed as yours. That wing knows few bounds. It takes a load and keeps on
digging. LOL! Thanks for sharing. Warm regards, Jim
Thank you Sir, I'm glad you like it. I love flying in my front yard and this bird fits the space perfect.

ALBRT
Apr 23, 2011, 05:10 PM
BOXFUSE KING!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7up
I may have read it, if I did, I forgot it, but what was the final WS and AUW? Just curious about the wing loading?

-Buk
It's 24" WS, from elevator to the nose is 18", I do not have a scale on hand and I use 2s 460mah rhino lipo. I get 15minutes flight time each charge.

...DURATION FLIGHT VID WILL FOLLOW!

ALBRT
Apr 23, 2011, 05:48 PM
7up
7up
,ɯǝ ʇoƃ ɐʎ ɟı ,ɯǝ ǝʞoɯs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronikpilot
It's 24" WS, from elevator to the nose is 18", I do not have a scale on hand and I use 2s 460mah rhino lipo. I get 15minutes flight time each charge.

...DURATION FLIGHT VID WILL FOLLOW!

ALBRT
Very good, thanks.

In the plans, (highlighted below) what are the slots on each side of the H-stab? Just an oversight?

What dihedral did you put on the wing? Measured from flat surface to wing tip?

All the questions because I'm gonna cut a bunch of indoor planes and send to soldiers in Iraq (see link below) and I believe this may be the one I send, after I try it out.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1425495

-Buk
Apr 23, 2011, 06:25 PM
For us He died, in me He lives
Hey Buk, those slots are where you will put the rt and lt tail skids. Since this guy is set up as a single front wheel, it needs 2 skids to keep him upright.

Thats awesome what you are doing for our Brothers and Sisters in Iraq.
Apr 23, 2011, 06:31 PM
7up
7up
,ɯǝ ʇoƃ ɐʎ ɟı ,ɯǝ ǝʞoɯs
Thanks Jimmy, guess I need to put one of these together in Sketchup to see how everything goes together.

Thanks again

-Buk
Apr 23, 2011, 06:35 PM
I was curious as well as to the dihedral. Also, is the wing rolled to achiever the airfoil? How does one access the battery? Beautiful little flier. This will be my first build since shoulder surgery 6 months ago. Lost about 60% use of my right shoulder, and it looks like a pretty easy build. Looking forward to your answers. Thanks
Apr 23, 2011, 07:08 PM
BOXFUSE KING!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7up
Very good, thanks.

In the plans, (highlighted below) what are the slots on each side of the H-stab? Just an oversight?

What dihedral did you put on the wing? Measured from flat surface to wing tip?

All the questions because I'm gonna cut a bunch of indoor planes and send to soldiers in Iraq (see link below) and I believe this may be the one I send, after I try it out.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1425495

-Buk
That's a very kind gesture Buk. I salute you for thinking about our brothers and sisters who are serving our country. It should keep them smiling and and LIFT their spirits during their service away from home.

....I'm sorry I did not have a detailed instructions, I am terrible in making them because most of the time I build freestyle and I kinda do adjustments as I build. Anyways...the lines are skids glue location. the dihedral is achieve after glueing the wing saddles into the wings and then attatched them to the fuse. DO NOT GLUE THE WING SADDLE INTO THE FUSELAGE YET until you set the proper dihedral. I glued the front LE of the wings in the fuse first and then the back(TE). once glued in place bend the wings so they meet together in the middle. I use packing tape to hold the wings securely. Eyeball the wings make sure they're straight and they have even dihedral, AND THEN GLUE THE WING SADDLE INSIDE THE FUSELAGE. My raw PDF have instructions on where pieces should fit.

I hope that helps,

ALBRT
Apr 23, 2011, 07:47 PM
BOXFUSE KING!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidecar53
I was curious as well as to the dihedral. Also, is the wing rolled to achiever the airfoil? How does one access the battery? Beautiful little flier. This will be my first build since shoulder surgery 6 months ago. Lost about 60% use of my right shoulder, and it looks like a pretty easy build. Looking forward to your answers. Thanks
I pray for your speedy recovery. Have fun building the PD.

ALBERT.

DURATION FLIGHT! 460mah 2s lipo balanced @ 4.12v each cell
PUDDLE SHARK! DURATION FLIGHT! (12 min 25 sec)

I use a pizza roller to shape the wings.

...more detail pics.
Last edited by Kronikpilot; Apr 23, 2011 at 07:54 PM.
Apr 24, 2011, 06:47 AM
Thank you so much for the well wishes and the photos and instructions clarifying the build, Albert. I'm going to go ahead with the attempt.
Apr 24, 2011, 03:22 PM
BOXFUSE KING!
No Problem Sir, let me know if you guys have anymore questions.

...Happy Building

ALBRT
Apr 25, 2011, 10:43 AM
BYOP - Build Your Own Planes
"PuddleBug" is a trademark of StevensAeromodel. Did you get permission from SA to rip off his quite original, copyrighted, design in foam, and publish plans for it?

Go ahead and flame me, if you think I'm wrong for asking that.
Apr 25, 2011, 11:13 AM

just rename it

you know it like the lazy bee rename the skybuggy
Apr 25, 2011, 12:41 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Models
"PuddleBug" is a trademark of StevensAeromodel. Did you get permission from SA to rip off his quite original, copyrighted, design in foam, and publish plans for it?

Go ahead and flame me, if you think I'm wrong for asking that.
I believe that the only wrong if any done here was to use the trademark name. Kronikpilot outlined his intentions in the very first post, and that the SA Puddlebug was the inspiration for his enlarged foamie version of it.

I must admit that I in producing a foamie variation of Andy Clancy's Lazy Bee and calling it a Blazy Bee is stretching credibilty a bit. Though I was not making kits at the time. Kronikpilot is not making kits and I am sure did not intend to step on anyones toes.

On another front. If you use similar wing shapes and configurations, is that ripping off? Can you honestly say its original. The Puddlebug is inspired by various free flight and old timer models.

No flaming going on. SA offers outstanding kits at a good value. Just looking at the Puddlebug right now. Its on sale for $37.50 http://www.stevensaero.com/StevensAe...4-p-20298.html

I also understand the need to protect your intellectual property as well.

Ken
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project