OST - One Sheet Twin - One sheeter #5 is a Beech 18 - Page 2 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Apr 19, 2011, 10:26 PM
treefinder
Wil: thanks for the tip on diff throttle I haven't looked at the twins thread in a while but will check. On "all the pieces" it just takes a sick, sick mind!...
to remove ads between posts
Apr 19, 2011, 10:29 PM
treefinder
Wlrman: I did pretty much as you described, but haven't gotten the setup quite right, as the "inside turn" motor wants to stop not just slow down, more work to do, and I'll for sure read the twins thread! Thanks to both of you guys. Guess I need a picture of the guts, don't I?
Apr 20, 2011, 06:12 AM
Don't know if this will work for you... But I made sure I had Matching motors and matching esc's and once I got it all set up... I unplugged the battery and moved the throttle to full... and then plugged in the battery.... Once the initial beeps...I quickly moved the throttle to the bottom and it beeped again... Supposedly that is how you set the end points...Again... this worked for me... but electronics attract gremlins... so ya do what ya can.
Apr 20, 2011, 09:53 AM
Registered FFF Addict
Ya... a one sheet twin. Very cool and a very nice looking bird. Hope it proves to be a better handler when you get a chance to trim and tune it.

According to the twins thread some brands of ESCs with auto endpoint setting don't lend them selves to this type of setup.
Last edited by larryross; Apr 20, 2011 at 09:59 AM.
Apr 21, 2011, 07:09 PM
treefinder
Update: Well, I learned a couple things: first, I realized that I needed to reset the max speed setting by turning on rx with tx at full throttle. now the motors act "right" rudder slows down one an speeds up the other, but doesn't shut slow one off unless at very low throttle setting. Second, I now now that at anything over half throttle, the "thrum, thrum" sound is caused by the props pulling off the propsavers. I used the O-rings that came with the motors (because they were there) and they allow the props to pull almost 1/16" off the propsavers at half throttle, and props get really wierd at more than that. Got another flight in today in 3-5mph winds, and found at less than half throttle, she handles pretty nice, but that's not quite enough to maintain altitude. at moderate speeds, the turns are pretty balanced both ways, and "rudder" helps kick the tail around, just not enough power to climb. If I gave her full throttle, she made lots more noise, but didn't speed up much, props definitely not "producing"! So back to my Hi-start silicone rubber bands, and more tests tomorrow at half to full throttle if wind cooperates.
Apr 21, 2011, 09:41 PM
I use surgical tubing for my props and prop savers.... and I cut the strips fairly thick...They usually dont pull off... although they are a bear to get on.
Apr 21, 2011, 11:37 PM
treefinder
The histart I use was a gift, over a hundred feet of surgical tube! But I have all these o-rings going to waste. Guess I should let them. . .
Apr 22, 2011, 12:14 AM
Just call me crash for short
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer
The histart I use was a gift, over a hundred feet of surgical tube! But I have all these o-rings going to waste. Guess I should let them. . .
If you have a bunch of those O rings try using 2 or even 3 on a prop. After I had one fail on a stick plane right at take off and lost a brand new prop (the plane never even left my hands) I have just been using rubber bands. Big bag for a dollar at the $tree. Then again, with 100' of surgical tube that's a whole sheet of foam (and another plane!) using it instead of buying a bag of rubber bands.
Apr 26, 2011, 10:29 PM
treefinder
Got her sealed and painted (mostly). She's gone from 7.12oz to 7.94oz less battery, will be over 9.5oz ready to fly for about 8.8oz/sq ft wing loading. Gonna be a bit faster glide than most of the one sheeters..... In power off glides during the several flights so far, she still glides pretty nice and slow power off; doesn't sink too fast. More pics on the first post.
Apr 26, 2011, 11:41 PM
Just call me crash for short
That is a great looking plane! Going to be hard to top this one. Only wish I could find a 3view of that Cessna XMC. That would be a cool one sheeter.
Apr 27, 2011, 12:41 AM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Ya know, in time tour buses will be pulling up outside your home so the clients can gaze in awe at the place where the One Sheeters were built and tested.
"You remember we saw the replicas in the Smithsonian, and this is the actual place where it all happened ..."
Apr 27, 2011, 01:37 AM
Registered FFF Addict
He is simply amazing with the one sheeters. The first one was a contest for 1 sheet plans... when he entered the contest with a 60" glider from one sheet, he shut everyone down. No one even challenged him... he closed down the contest. This one is a winner too. Wish I had room on my build table.
Apr 27, 2011, 02:38 AM
Build straight - Fly twisty
He he! Guys would be thinking 30 inch span and out hero comes up with a 5 footer.
This one would have caused some shock and awe in that contest too...
Apr 27, 2011, 09:41 AM
treefinder
Aww, cut it out guys! I'm gettin' embarrassed!
Apr 27, 2011, 09:48 AM
Ken's CAD Models
Mike,

That is really sweet! You seem to just keep knocking them out of the park.

Keep it up,
Ken
Latest blog entry: Ken's CAD Models new web site