Jun 23, 2011, 03:36 PM
Just call me crash for short

Bug rebuilt

Just re-maidened my Bug. This time covered it in Doculite, as after it spent weeks out in the rain lost, I had to strip all the covering off to dry it out. After fixing up the pod (not perfect, little splinters missing as can be seen in the photo) and installing new 5g servos and 200ma 1s LiPo, I got the weight down and she is flying great. I am amazed that I did not have to do more than I did to get her back in the air. Water was poring out of the wing when I got it back to the hanger and the tail feathers were soaked all the way through. Great little SAL glider, this Bug.

Mark
to remove ads between posts
Jun 24, 2011, 03:25 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick61
Just re-maidened my Bug. This time covered it in Doculite, as after it spent weeks out in the rain lost, I had to strip all the covering off to dry it out. After fixing up the pod (not perfect, little splinters missing as can be seen in the photo) and installing new 5g servos and 200ma 1s LiPo, I got the weight down and she is flying great. I am amazed that I did not have to do more than I did to get her back in the air. Water was poring out of the wing when I got it back to the hanger and the tail feathers were soaked all the way through. Great little SAL glider, this Bug.

Mark
looks great! How are the launches - straight?
I finally got some of those 2gram servos from value hobby. Can't wait to try them out.
Jun 24, 2011, 05:30 PM
Yea, the launches are rather straight when the servos stay put. I got tape holding them down and the case tends to drift ever so slightly. I'm redoing the servo mounts tonight and that should take care of the last little trouble. The wind was up again today a bit and had some good slope flights even though the wind was coming and going and changing directions. Thought I had my vid camera with me but when i got to the hill, it was not there. Sure enough, sitting on the dresser when I got back home. Next time....

Mark
Jun 25, 2011, 09:18 PM

Bug riding

Sense samson55 asked about the launches and I had my camera with me today I took it for a ride on The Bug. No lift to be found today with cool air moving in, cam was too far forward on the wing making it a bit nose heavy, flying in a small field and a bit scared of the trees, (this Bug hid out in one for several weeks already), kept me turning and losing altitude so they are short flights. Oh, and I still kind of suck at flying a glider.... but learning a bit more each time out.

Mark

Bug Riding.wmv (3 min 2 sec)
Jul 02, 2011, 12:50 PM
Lift is where you find it.

A new Bug joins the swarm

My Bug is mostly built. It's covered with Doculite and looks pretty transparent. This one has the legendary tapered carbon boom made from a Walmart fishing rod.

Still need to add the electronics and controls, but it won't be long now. Since I have it on hand, I'm using .018 music wire in teflon tube for the pushrods ala "Big Dog" DLG style <LOL>.

I've been working from some sort of messed up plans that I don't trust, and I'm wondering where the sweet spot for the CG is. What is everyone using?

Rick
Jul 02, 2011, 11:30 PM
Hey Rick, that Bug is looking good. You will let me know how that Walmart fishing rod balances out? For the CG, I marked off the recommended (from L.E.) 2-3/4" to 2-7/8" from the Bugarticle.txt over on the Yahoo Bug group. I fly mine right about the 2-3/4" mark. Seems to work out well for me and should be a good place to start out at and adjust accordingly. Just finished up patching my Bug once again. Hit another pole the other day with the wing, same side, almost the same place! Now I have 2 replaced ribs in that wing, but she is still flying and I am still having loads of fun. That 200ma 1s LiPo I have in there now is giving me about 1 1/2 hours flying time between charges. Working out well.

Mark
Jul 03, 2011, 08:48 AM
With all of the gear on board except the pushrods, my Bug comes in at 4.1 oz, which I guess is OK. I can't imagine that the pushrods will add much as I'll be using .018 music wire in teflon tubing.

Right now, it balances at 2-7/8 with no added weight. I'm thinking that I'll probably need a little lead in the nose to balance after I install the pushrods. Makes me wish that I'd gone ahead and made the lightening holes in the tailfeathers and had used balsa instead of pink foam for the nose cone.

There's always next time

Hope to have it in the air soon.

Rick
Jul 03, 2011, 08:51 AM
Space Cowboy
Anyone think that you could use a brick from a parkzone plane in a bug? Just curious since I have one laying around
Jul 03, 2011, 09:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoGinn
Anyone think that you could use a brick from a parkzone plane in a bug? Just curious since I have one laying around
While those have a somewhat limited range, it would be worth giving it a try. Should work for small fields where your not getting too far away. Give it a try and tell us the results.

Mark
Jul 03, 2011, 09:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2400RDR
With all of the gear on board except the pushrods, my Bug comes in at 4.1 oz, which I guess is OK. I can't imagine that the pushrods will add much as I'll be using .018 music wire in teflon tubing.

Right now, it balances at 2-7/8 with no added weight. I'm thinking that I'll probably need a little lead in the nose to balance after I install the pushrods. Makes me wish that I'd gone ahead and made the lightening holes in the tailfeathers and had used balsa instead of pink foam for the nose cone.

There's always next time

Hope to have it in the air soon.

Rick
Shiny, and speaking of nose cone..... I got into the sun once again and lost sight of my Bug last week. By the time I saw it again it was over the parking lot and and headed straight down, giving me just enough time to pull it back and skid across the blacktop in into the concrete curb. Blunted the nose good. Maybe a foam nose ain't such a bad idea, though another piece of 1/4" square balsa, some CA and sandpaper and a dew min. time she was good to go again. One of these days I will learn to stay out of the sun........ na, who am I kidding.

Mark
Jul 03, 2011, 03:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoGinn
If you do use a brick, make sure the control rods are free moving. The 6400 doesn't center well and doesn't like binding of any sort. Ive used them in a few 20-30" DLG.
Jul 03, 2011, 07:46 PM
Rusty
2400RDR, run spring-string to the tail and you will eliminate any slippage in the linkages and servos and may save enough weight.
The Brick has been tested to 600ft.
Jul 09, 2011, 03:39 PM

Bug maiden

I flew my bug for the first time today. Not the best of conditions- there were thunderstorms around, and the wind was a little gusty and changeable.

I learned a bunch-

These little varmints are a hoot to fly! Also, this is my first scratch build. It is sweet to go out and see something you built from a small pile of balsa flitting about like a crazy butterfly.

These little guys are very sensitive to stick inputs and gusty winds. Hah-hah.

The wing needs to be symmetrical. I've learned about using the heat gun to correct the wing. Old news to guys that do this all the time I'm sure.

I didn't put a peg in the wing and am doing simple SAL. Getting about 60-70 feet. Not bad.

My tapered fishing rod boom works just great, and at 4 gm must be lighter than a simple tube.

I've added a few photos- a couple showing the DLG style control rods with .018 music wire in etched teflon tubing, a photo of the under wing compartment showing my brick of two D47 servos (plenty of room in there for those!), and another photo showing the Rx compartment with the Spektrum AR6100 Rx. Not visible is the Rhino 360mah lipo in the forward compartment.

All in all, this has been a great experience, and I'm really looking forward to doing more scratch builds.

Rick
Jul 09, 2011, 11:37 PM
Good to hear the positive report on the fishing rod boom. I'll have to go back and look at which one you used and see if it might work for a bigger build. I haven't had mine out for a few days, wind up a bit much for it and so I'v been flying the heaver MiMi. These Bugs are a blast to fly and just a simple SAL to get them going is nice. Just wait till you catch a good thermal and watch how quickly it can turn into a spot.

Now let's see a pic of those wings you straightened out. Had to do that with mine as well. One side gets a little twist to it and it will just go in circles and want to fly upside down on launch.

Mark
Jul 10, 2011, 05:32 PM
I spent some time in calmer air today dialing in my Bug.

One thing I really like about this small plane is that once it's set up for a good hands-off glide, nice flat turns can be made with the rudder only. No need for elevator to keep the nose up. In fact, elevator in the turns causes mine to stall.

Sweet little plane. I'm looking forward to making and flying more of them.

Still need to tweak the wing a bit. With such a minimal structure, it's easy to warp the wing when you tighten the covering.

Rick

Quick Reply