Help I need to press a pinion on my Speed 400 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Oct 16, 2001, 02:06 PM
Acme Powered!

Help I need to press a pinion on my Speed 400

I am installing the motor in my SR X250 and need to press the pinion from the gearbox on the speed 400 motor. I have the New Creations Pinion Press and Pinion Puller. However they look to large to the job. Has anyone used this equipment on S400 and if so can you tell me how to do it.
Thanks Joe
to remove ads between posts
Oct 16, 2001, 03:59 PM
Joe,
I'm sure you have one, just use your drill press without a drill bit.
Oct 16, 2001, 04:02 PM
Acme Powered!

Speed 400 pinion

HI Sligh, that is the one tool I dont own, that is why I bought this press.
Thanks Joe
Oct 16, 2001, 04:16 PM
RIP Azarr - "Old age is not for sissies"
Hi Joe,

I've used it, use the smallest hole on the small inside plate with 3 holes, adjust the nuts so the motor is suspended between the two plates and center the rear of the shaft on the bolt in the rear plate, turn the bolt slowly keeping everything aligned. It takes three hands at first, but once the pinion gets started it goes on easily.

Azarr
www.azarr.com
Oct 16, 2001, 04:19 PM
Acme Powered!
thanks Azarr I will try it.
Thanks for the help Joe
Oct 16, 2001, 05:18 PM
Most Exalted Windbag
Don't forget to use the green locking compound in the tiny tube.

RB
Oct 16, 2001, 05:25 PM
Acme Powered!

Pinion

Thanks Azarr I got the pinion on and the motor is ready to be soldered up. I do need to reverse polarity on the motor correct?
Thanks Guys.
Joe
Oct 17, 2001, 03:56 AM
I used a vice ("vise" in American? ) for pressing the pinion onto my 600. This worked fine ... you do need to make sure everything is square, but assuming the shaft stands proud of the rear of the motor this is a pretty good way of doing it (there's no stress at all on the motor case or bearings).
Oct 17, 2001, 04:43 AM
RIP Azarr - "Old age is not for sissies"
You need to reverse polarity unless you're using a planetary gearbox which does not change the direction of prop rotation

Azarr
www.azarr.com