Apr 16, 2011, 07:52 AM
Hamburger
Thread OP
Discussion

Show us your Landing gears and skids setups..

Hi,
following the collection of TRI yaw setups I wanted to compile a list of multi copter landing gears and skids and other solutions.

So far, a wide collection does exist scattered around different threads in the form of photos.

If you are interested or are tired of your intial foam cussions, let us compile a selection of ideas. If possible, add description of copter including size and weight and photos plus designs.

Hamburger
Last edited by hamburger; Feb 11, 2014 at 04:57 PM. Reason: title renamed
to remove ads between posts
Apr 16, 2011, 07:58 AM
Hamburger
Thread OP

TRI - 22 cm M2M with funcopter landing gear

My smallest TRI is 22 cm motor 2 motor, weight is 260 gramm without battery.
For landing gear I use a complete funcopter assembly. It has a wide base of 16cm between skids and the landing strus are quite flexible.
Here's some photos.
Hamburger
Apr 16, 2011, 09:10 AM
Good idea here.

My favorite and used by many others.

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9535
Apr 16, 2011, 09:41 AM
Stockholm, Sweden
I use these on my 1.5 Kg Y6-copter: Reinforced Plastic Undercarriage (Pair)
They are dirt cheap, about 15 cm high, and are very durable.
Name: 5522699944_77a0c1d036_b.jpg
Views: 994
Size: 238.5 KB
Description:

I would prefer even more height since I have mounted the gopro below the chassi so I'm considering these: MK FlexLander XL
Name: FlexLanderXL.jpg
Views: 571
Size: 32.9 KB
Description:

At 44,95€ they are a bit pricy though so I might not get them.
Apr 16, 2011, 10:19 AM
Here is a picture of my copters with landing gear. What I like about them is, they will take a licking and keep right on ticking. Great protection for the payload.

Last edited by rimshotcopter; Jun 06, 2011 at 10:41 PM.
Apr 16, 2011, 10:20 AM
Winging it Ò>

cheap, ugly and functional

Pool noodle slices taped to the arm. Very light and cheap. They provide great protection for the copter and are very durable, practically indestructible.
Apr 16, 2011, 12:34 PM
Hamburger
Thread OP

TRI - 50 cm M2M - tt balls on cf rods with rubber dampeners

on my TRI 60 with 50cm front motor 2 motor and a little longer tail I use tt balls glued to cf tubes (4mm). These are removable and glide into larger cf tubes (6mm in 8mm) which are again glued to large cf plates. These plates are helt in place with two sided self adhesive dampening material and your cable binders.

The rods can move freely in the large tubes. Movement is dampened with rubber rings form prop savers. This has proved itself quite effective - after some not so gentle earth contact the rubber bands have been pushed down some on the rods, thus have absorbed some of the excessive energy.

So far this is the best I have got working for a copter this size. Next step may be to glue LEDs to the inside of the tt balls for orientation and effect.

Hamburger
Last edited by hamburger; Jul 15, 2013 at 05:18 PM.
Apr 16, 2011, 12:47 PM
Re-Kitting Expert :o

My Tri Gear

My first pair for my Tri:
Apr 16, 2011, 03:01 PM
Quad Flyer (0 min 31 sec)
Apr 16, 2011, 04:20 PM
I use this type

Apr 17, 2011, 02:35 AM
Hamburger
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadslo
I use this type
quadslo,
I always wondered how does this gear behave in heavy ground (like high grass in parks)? Does it get stuck if you touch ground with a little too high speed? How does it behave if you still have some sideways velocity upon landing?
thanks, Hamburger
Apr 19, 2011, 02:49 PM
Great idea for a thread, just like your Yaw control thread. Its good to have specific ideas and choices all in one place, rather than scattered all over.

I think a thread for tricopter camera mounts, and jello dampening systems would be a great one as well. I could definitely use a little help in that department currently.

Anyways, here is my quick, simple, cheap landing gear. Its just some sheet aluminum, cut with tin snips into 1/2" strips, and bent into shape with some sheet metal pliers (and careful measuring to make them all identical). They are taped in place very tightly with some strong strapping tape.

They feel very solid to me, the tape holds them stronger than you would think with no slop, and they seem capable of witstanding rough landings. I'm sure a all out crash would bend them, but they could easily be replaced cheap, or bent back.
Apr 19, 2011, 03:57 PM
Hamburger
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl1864
Great idea for a thread, just like your Yaw control thread. Its good to have specific ideas and choices all in one place, rather than scattered all over.
I did not start the yaw thread, thread starter was RCG user 'tram'. I concur, I found it quite helpful also. That triggered the idea for this thread. glad you like it. Just go ahead and start other specific threads, sounds good to me.

Hamburger
Apr 19, 2011, 04:04 PM
My contribution.

Cheaper? ....U won t find :O)

Durable? Hell Yeah.

Just buy the biggest Zip ties you can.

7 USD for 20
May 13, 2011, 03:42 AM
Flying a Chipmunk in Portugal
I've been working on this one..

Before with fixed landing gear (Picture), and on the video with retractable landing gear. It is just an experiment. I don't know how it will behave on not so soft landings but I've tried to put the load on the copter arms as much as I could and not on the servo. Moving sideways could be a problem though.We will see. I will put some protections on the first few flights. I think it will be lighter than the former setup.

João

Tricopter Landing Gear Test (0 min 37 sec)

Quick Reply