Apr 15, 2011, 08:09 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Build Log

pat tritles cessna-180!!!!

I wasnt planning on building this till fall....but crappy weather wont allow me to even maiden any new planes so far this spring. I will continue the build as i have time to do it. im paying close attention to good fits on all the glue joints. this is a very nice short kit by pat...when finished they look awesome!!! thanks pat for the excellent design!!! im going to make my own custom droop tips for it as well. been searching for years for a nice cessna 180 that isnt too large. this fits the bill at the 54 inch span!!
Last edited by ed1978; Apr 15, 2011 at 08:29 PM. Reason: pictures didnt show up?????
to remove ads between posts
Apr 15, 2011, 08:51 PM
Suspended Account
this should be good.
subscribed.
Apr 15, 2011, 09:44 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
check out my last build with my own custom droops here>>>>
http://www.youtube.com/user/emoore19...15/guSE_Z50-58
Apr 15, 2011, 09:57 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtdirt
this should be good.
subscribed.
i see your a tool and die maker.....i am as well. been doing it for 33 years.
Apr 15, 2011, 10:12 PM
Surprised that you didn't start this build log on the Scale Electric Plane forum. If you put it there you will get lots of help and advice if you want it.
Apr 15, 2011, 10:17 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Challenged
Surprised that you didn't start this build log on the Scale Electric Plane forum. If you put it there you will get lots of help and advice if you want it.
didnt feel like needing advice....im building. been doing it 33 years now.
Apr 15, 2011, 10:19 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
but thx anyway for the offer!!
Apr 16, 2011, 06:35 AM
I'm doing my first Pat Tritle kit as well -- the "Inspirer" biplane. Framing is nearly complete, but there's still lots of work left to do. I'm amazed at the low weight of these planes. I've got a few pix posted on a thread in the Scale Electric Plane forum, but they have not drawn any responses for some reason.

Very different from any of the kits I've built from Stevens Aero or Mountain Models, that's for sure... where you can get a complete wing framed up without a drop of glue.
Apr 16, 2011, 11:18 AM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafe_b
I'm doing my first Pat Tritle kit as well -- the "Inspirer" biplane. Framing is nearly complete, but there's still lots of work left to do. I'm amazed at the low weight of these planes. I've got a few pix posted on a thread in the Scale Electric Plane forum, but they have not drawn any responses for some reason.

Very different from any of the kits I've built from Stevens Aero or Mountain Models, that's for sure... where you can get a complete wing framed up without a drop of glue.
i searched for your thread....didnt see any pictures.....got a link to it? or you can moive them here with mine...i dont mind at all.
Apr 16, 2011, 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed1978
i searched for your thread....didnt see any pictures.....got a link to it? or you can moive them here with mine...i dont mind at all.
Here's the thread. It's Pat's thread, not mine. It had been dormant for a year or more before I started posting on it.
Apr 16, 2011, 02:41 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP

progress

well i got a box!!! it starting to get stronger. sure is a fragile frame though! broke alot of joints just getting the formers glued. i dont care for the way the landing gear is designed to be held into the fuselage unless i epoxy that whole area and add some plywood for strength, because once they are in place,they will not be removable unless you gut the second former section. you can see in the pictures the landing gear are meant to sandwich in between the 2 formers behind the firewall,then a belly former gets glued in the bottom to hold in. once in, its permanent.dont really like that. the balsa he used is very very light wood, very easy to break. i guess thats ok if you never make a bad landing
Apr 16, 2011, 03:59 PM
It looks good to me. If you're concerned about the strength, don't be afraid to add what you think it needs, eg. maybe a few more 1/8 x 1/16 cross-pieces along the top. Oddly enough, I got the fuselage done without breaking any sticks, but I did break a few ribs in the wing. I've gone and reinforced the broken ribs with bits of 1/8 x 1/16 stock.

I'll be adding a 1/4" square basswood cross-piece in parallel with the landing gear mounts on mine, and probably a bit of reinforcement around the fuselage cabane mounts.

I share some of your concerns. My main reassurance is that Pat's been in the business for a long time, and has quite a following. I don't expect any of these planes to be windy-day fliers.
Last edited by rafe_b; Apr 16, 2011 at 06:21 PM.
Apr 16, 2011, 04:15 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
your right....they are too light to handle much wind. im sure it will be strong enough when finished. but i am going to beef up the gear area. i dont fly from asphalt. only grass and sometimes the geese tear it up bad.....(need to make soup out them).
Apr 16, 2011, 07:38 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
i would like to see one pats planes fly in a video.....anyone have any video to share with me?
Apr 16, 2011, 10:31 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP

progress

i love stick building.....its close to midnight....my supper has been in the oven for 5 hours now..........time to call it a night!!!.....oh what the heck....couple more sticks!!!!

Quick Reply