Apr 16, 2011, 02:32 AM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
I don't even have a slope to fly from and I want one! That thing is awesome! BUILD A WAVESPAR DLG!
to remove ads between posts
Apr 16, 2011, 09:47 AM
Launching!

Sirocco SC/XL, 2.4 Friendly and 2M Wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrWade
Ward, count me in! A two meter version would sure be great up here in the windy Tri Cities. Just have to figure out how to make it 2.4 friendly...

Mike
Mike,

2.4 friendly fuses are not a problem.....the all glass or all glass with a 1" strip of uni tip to tail have proven to be very stout, and still come in under 6 ounces........but you'll miss out on the that carbony look with a painted fuse......although naked glass with carbon highlights could be sexy........

As far as bagged wings, I have built some XL 2M wings for the Sirocco that saw a bunch of airtime over Blossom Valley, but I think the sweet spot is somewhere in between 60" and 2 Meters with the longer 41" fuse.......next set of wings/tails should tell me what the XL span should be.

Also have a XL Wingeron version in the works.

DC
Last edited by Dan.Cummins; Apr 16, 2011 at 10:20 AM.
Apr 16, 2011, 10:04 AM
One Idiot is plenty...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Hagaman
There will never be an e-sirocco!
I would be honored to work on E-fuse for her.
Yuri.
Apr 16, 2011, 10:14 AM
Launching!

Packable SC Version

Quote:
This plane will fit in an arrow case for travel that will be 36" by 10" by 3". I'm waiting on the foam for the lid....
The 60" SC (short coupled) version with magnetically attached wings is the ultimate in packable slope performance!

DC
Apr 16, 2011, 10:27 AM
Sounds like a 72" bagged wing version is in need, Dan
Apr 16, 2011, 10:34 AM
Quote:
Chip, I didn't mean exposing or rebuilding the wavespar, just bridging the gash with rod in a few places--from the inside. After all, you have a hollow wing and access to the skin and spar through your hole. And then filling with foam, or whatever. And then feathering out the patch after.

Ward
I gotcha Ward,

.....but substructure repair to the the WaveSpar (trademarked?) seems quite possible, in the event you handed the Tx over to the wrong local flier

So machine time is higher, process/layup time is less (1/3?) and material cost is about the same? That equates to higher initial tooling investment with a lower labor cost per wing? What's the ROI?
Apr 16, 2011, 10:48 AM
Gravity sucks
Thanks, Dan. For the usual conditions up here in the Tri-Cities, the bigger the better. We are supposed to have combat at Eagle Butte today and the forecast is for 30+. Earlier in the week it got to 50+. So, my Dave's Beach stuff is not getting much air time! Later in the season things calm down quite a bit. But the lift band can extend way out, and my eyes aren't getting any younger, so I am leaning more and more toward 2M and larger planes. A 60" would still be okay. After all, I fly the Raven up here and it does great.

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc812
Mike,

2.4 friendly fuses are not a problem.....the all glass or all glass with a 1" strip of uni tip to tail have proven to be very stout, and still come in under 6 ounces........but you'll miss out on the that carbony look with a painted fuse......although naked glass with carbon highlights could be sexy........

As far as bagged wings, I have built some XL 2M wings for the Sirocco that saw a bunch of airtime over Blossom Valley, but I think the sweet spot is somewhere in between 60" and 2 Meters with the longer 41" fuse.......next set of wings/tails should tell me what the XL span should be.

Also have a XL Wingeron version in the works.

DC
Apr 16, 2011, 11:11 AM
Mike,

Feel free to box up those, 'light little Dave's Beach birds' and ship them home

Looks like we'll be building an army of beasts that will fit your needs
Apr 16, 2011, 11:15 AM
Jim in San Diego
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc812
The 60" SC (short coupled) version with magnetically attached wings is the ultimate in packable slope performance!

DC
So, let me get this straight...I have a 60" LC (long coupled i.e. fuse left long) with DC812 bagged wings, Ward bling Sirocco formerly known as the WTWF? I may have to sell this beauty just because it's so rare Naw. It flys too well and is sturrrrdy! Good for my "landings" or is that "arrivals"?

Mike, I plan on making the 5X fuse Ward and I made into a 72" and will let you konw how it goes (if you can wait long enough ).

Jim
Apr 16, 2011, 12:40 PM
Gravity sucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pismo
So, let me get this straight...I have a 60" LC (long coupled i.e. fuse left long) with DC812 bagged wings, Ward bling Sirocco formerly known as the WTWF? I may have to sell this beauty just because it's so rare Naw. It flys too well and is sturrrrdy! Good for my "landings" or is that "arrivals"?

Mike, I plan on making the 5X fuse Ward and I made into a 72" and will let you konw how it goes (if you can wait long enough ).

Jim
I can wait. Heck, nursing Valerie and her new titanium knee means I haven't even gotten out to maiden the Typhoon, yet. Maybe this weekend.

Mike
Apr 16, 2011, 12:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SrWade
Thanks, Dan. For the usual conditions up here in the Tri-Cities, the bigger the better. We are supposed to have combat at Eagle Butte today and the forecast is for 30+. Earlier in the week it got to 50+. So, my Dave's Beach stuff is not getting much air time! Later in the season things calm down quite a bit. But the lift band can extend way out, and my eyes aren't getting any younger, so I am leaning more and more toward 2M and larger planes. A 60" would still be okay. After all, I fly the Raven up here and it does great.

Mike
Geez Mike, I thought it was always cloudy overcast and drizzly up there. Looks like you've got lift....
Apr 16, 2011, 01:40 PM
B for Bruce
You've got a lot of great ideas and high levels of craftsmanship wrapped up in this model.

One point though. I don't know if it's been mentioned already but the wing root gap you have will result in a lot of air leakage from the lower to upper side. This leakage will create drag and promote an earlier center section stall at high G loads or durng slow flight. To really cap this all off you need to figure out a way to obtain a seal in that area either with a floating cuff that looks like a root fairing or some sort of soft but slippery "gasket" on the wing root that can slide and flex to provide a sealing effect with low friction drag.
Apr 16, 2011, 02:23 PM
Launching!
Bill,

I think that's just a bench fly for Ward on the new Waveform Spar......same for the tail feathers. This was very much a proof of concept trial.....I am quite sure everything will get finished and prettier as things progress.

Normally we cap the root and add felt to limit/eliminate the leakage from the top/bottom delta P.

DC
Apr 16, 2011, 02:25 PM
Gravity sucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbus
Geez Mike, I thought it was always cloudy overcast and drizzly up there. Looks like you've got lift....
That's the other side of the state and why the guys from over there drive 3-4 hours over to here for flying.

Mike
Apr 16, 2011, 06:24 PM
It is absolutely beautiful, although from a handling perspective I think the plane would be better served with a more forward swept wing. Gorgeous nonetheless!!

Quick Reply