Apr 15, 2011, 05:03 PM
Thread OP
Scott, I have only been using PVA, and I have been wiping in on at that. So I have been getting "pulled out" spots on my wings. Flyable, but not perfect. Plus, the wavespar "prints through" into the carbon due to the pre-load. So I plan on spraying the PVA instead of wiping, plus letting the carbon green up before closing the halves onto the wavespar.

The LE could be backed up with extra splooge, or tow for extra strength. I could shave a few ounces off, but there is the issue of the unsupported carbon between the waves. To get to DLG weight I think I'd have to go back to the Supermylar technique: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ht=super+mylar

Ward
Last edited by Ward Hagaman; Apr 15, 2011 at 05:09 PM. Reason: wrong link
to remove ads between posts
Apr 15, 2011, 05:07 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by chip.greely
Yeah Adam,

....that's already the answer for the masses, but for those that can.....

I guess I can see exposing the wave, rebuilding it with weave and rod, then re-skinning with CF. Pretty slick
Chip, I didn't mean exposing or rebuilding the wavespar, just bridging the gash with rod in a few places--from the inside. After all, you have a hollow wing and access to the skin and spar through your hole. And then filling with foam, or whatever. And then feathering out the patch after.

Ward
Apr 15, 2011, 05:18 PM
Just Toss It !!!
Why are you guys keeping this man occupied with questions?!!...
He has work to do!

Matin
will pick up next week like you said...
Apr 15, 2011, 05:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarmoby
Ward-
Very nice. What cosmetic issues are you having on the carbon?

The wave spar is a great direction- I first saw that at Scaled Composites a decade ago and thought it made a lot of sense. Can you put a leading edge insert in that lay-up for our "un-friendly" landing sites?

Also, if you wanted to go to a lighter set of materials( thinner fabrics etc), is there much problem doing so? I have some RG-15 planes that fly really well light and many sites would rarely have enough wind to exercise this rocket.

Well done and Adam-good job helping the cause.
Scott
Scott,

What are you thinking of using as a LE insert?

I'm with you on a lighter AUW from using a lighter weave. Don't see any reason it wouldn't work, structurally.

BTW-how's the knee?
Apr 15, 2011, 06:41 PM
Composites guy
Ward-
Cosmetic parts are the hardest to do nicely as ANY issues literally shows up. Many decorative parts use a clear coat to hide some of the problems- a clear urethane base is used on the golf shafts for example. Have you tried a clear coat on the tool? It helps make the surface energy more agreeable to wetting out the resin.

On the pressure point from the wave- yes that is typical as you have a local high pressure areas that "print through". One way to deal with this is a local pad-up to spread out the load. Hard to do on toy parts though.

Leading edge- Bass wood or fiberglass pultrusion that integrates with the wave spar. Makes that leading edge ding less likely to need repair.

Would your process work with a 4 oz carbon or hybrid fabric if you kept the wave spar the same? Can you bleed resin out from the inside of the tool?
Those wing skins can get quite heavy as they cover alot of area. I am thinking you want one to fly at Carlsbad on a regular day and not worry about getting too wet.

Of course you have a second one that you can plant on landing in 30mph winds...

Chip- knee at 90%

hope all is well.
Scott
Apr 15, 2011, 06:51 PM
Composites guy
have a good weekend
Apr 15, 2011, 07:14 PM
Just fly it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarmoby
Ward-
Cosmetic parts are the hardest to do nicely as ANY issues literally shows up. Many decorative parts use a clear coat to hide some of the problems- a clear urethane base is used on the golf shafts for example. Have you tried a clear coat on the tool? It helps make the surface energy more agreeable to wetting out the resin.
Yep. I use a clear coat on all my naked parts now. Easy releases, tools are easier to clean, and the parts have a deeper elegant look. It's a +++....which makes the extra step worth it.

Adam
Apr 15, 2011, 07:40 PM
Stunning design. Most artful design I've seen in a while.
Brilliant!

Paul Naton
Radio Carbon Art Productions
http://radiocarbonart.com/
http://glidefast.typepad.com
Apr 15, 2011, 07:58 PM
That's some very impressive work, you can be very proud. I worked in the same plant at Grumman in Stuart Fla. where the V-22 Osprey pre production prototype's tail group was being assembled. The stab spar web was a sine wave much like your wave. The sparcap's and sine wave were all molded as one piece using a 2 piece mold, fore and aft. I have often wondered if some one would do this in a model. You have.
Apr 15, 2011, 08:09 PM
Sloping the Financial Cliff
This awesome plane will prove itself on the 60" MOM race on the 30st at Bills Hill, or maybe not
Apr 15, 2011, 10:09 PM
Needs a stinger fuse plug in the back.....and some wing covers!
Apr 15, 2011, 11:06 PM
One Idiot is plenty...
Hey Ward,AWSOME work!!!
Sorry I am late....just noticed picture today.
BEAUTIFUL plane and brilliant engineering .
Where is a motor?
Yuri.
Apr 16, 2011, 12:13 AM
Jim in San Diego
Ward,

Sorry I missed this thread until now. Can't wait to see how the Sirocco fly's and you know Dan and I will be there cheering you on. Now...if we could just get pix and video instead of just ooh'ing and aaah'ing.

Jim
Apr 16, 2011, 12:28 AM
Thread OP
There will never be an e-sirocco!
Apr 16, 2011, 01:34 AM
Auzzie built planks
Wow ward.....that is some nice bling...well done....I hope my new warhead 60 comes out that good...

Tim
Latest blog entry: More colours

Quick Reply