Jun 15, 2012, 02:57 PM
Hi folks,

It's been many pages since I last added to this thread, but I just wanted to share something that has transformed this plane for me since last year's flying season.

Having spent a long time thinking about it but never getting around to it, I added flaperons to my MX2. What an incredible difference! It has totally tamed the beast. Landings are sooo much easier, slower and more gentle. The dreaded left wing drop has disappeared at all but the slowest of speeds.

I have almost considered flying her with about 15 degs of flap at all times, as it seems to vastly improve the handling and hardly affects speed or acceleration. I've resisted more on the principle of "they shouldn't be there"...which I guess it ultimately just stubborn. I mean, if it makes it better, why not use it.

Anyway, since I've added them, my only crash with this plane this year has been about 45' up a tree, which I can't blame the plane for at all....

Just thought I'd share, as I can see a lot of folks still working to get a handle on this plane.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 15, 2012, 05:17 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I've heard the term a lot, how does that work? you mix flaps with aileron with the tx? Do you build flaps into the plane, or do you use the ailerons to act as flaps so they come down as flaps to a degree but still work independently as ailerons?
Jun 16, 2012, 01:57 AM
You use your ailerons as flaps via the Tx.

You will need each aileron servo controlled independantly; so on a DX6i with a 6 channel Rx for instance, one aileron servo goes to Ail and one goes to Aux 1. If you are currently running a Y-lead, you would need to get rid of that.

The other alternative would be to have flaperons active all the time, by simply mechanically setting each aileron a few degrees lower than each wing, rather than flush with the wing. It would put extra drag on the plane ..... but I tried flying with flaperons down all the time and it handled beautifully.
Jun 17, 2012, 06:48 PM

Adrenaline

Hi,

today 2 flights, tested Luke's tip to move the ailerons down by landing.
(I did the UP before like on my Fox glider, and that stabilizes the flare too).
But with flaps down you you can go slower, i was impressed too.

Then the second flight, i put an GPS in to check the Vmax of this bird:

WOW: 135km/h (85mph) maximum in horizontal flight! (ok, with some backwind). Tomorrow I will look in the logs for more info about it...

But THEN: The plane turns suddenly on the back and cannot not be controlled with aileron to the left.
With nearly full right aileron, i can hold the plane, but it jumps back and forth in the air.
I tried to circle, but it was not really controllable. Then I stopped the engine and thought it is lost in the woods, but i could bring it down WITHOUT damage!
Only a hard landing, the new carbon undercarriage holds.

THIS flight was adrenaline pure!

And this is the reason, I think this tiny hinges are not made for this speed:
Last edited by kandidat; Jun 18, 2012 at 07:47 AM.
Jun 17, 2012, 11:14 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The hinges on this plane are pure garbage. I have been fixing them from day one. First the rudder, then one here, one there, all the time. I dab some ca and put it back in, but first i always add a hinge nearby the popped one. Got a bag full of small locked flat hinges from the lhs and install them whenever this happens. I highly recommend adding hinges to all the control surfaces before its too late.. Almost all of mine eventually popped out.
Jun 19, 2012, 04:00 PM
installed 4 bigger hinges on each wing and continued the speed tests
nearly no wind, did several full-speed runs in strait level and read the logs of my graupner hott:

130 - 135 km/h. Not bad, for an EPO-plane I think.
(81-84 mph)

With the original 3-blade prop and the 4250 motor and a 2200 and 2800 40C accu.

Another thing: I tried to move the COG a little to the back (installed the accu just before the carbon beam.
Now i can fly closer loops with less wing drop with much elevator.
I think right COG its very important by this plane (as written earlier by others).
Last edited by kandidat; Jun 19, 2012 at 04:15 PM.
Jun 22, 2012, 08:38 AM
Hi,

Prop, spinner, cowl and prop-adapter is available by hobbyking again…

ordered some parts...

Oliver
Jun 24, 2012, 12:54 PM
Hello and Sorry for my liddle englich, i translate with google and my little englich Words. I come from Germany and i have a MX2 from HK.
I have 15 flys with the MX2 and i find this Modell is Good, i m Beginner.

My Question, i have setup the Timer for 4minutes in my RC, i fly max 5 minutes with an another round for landing.
The Akku has 10% capacity, 3,4V per Cell.
I fly with Turnigy 4S 2450maH, the orginal 3Blatt Prop and the orginal Setup. I have change 2 Servos, all other Componetns ar Orginal.

I find 4 minutes is verry short, i fly no 3d, i fly circles, one Looping, are no 3d or other Figures, i Beginner.
The Throttle is 1/2 or short 3/4.

When i change the Prop to a 2 Blatt 14x7 can i fly longer?

Thanks Heiko from Germany
Jun 24, 2012, 01:12 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
No, you won't fly longer with a 2 blade. You need to get a bigger battery of you want to fly longer. I use a 3200 mah 4s.
Jun 24, 2012, 02:02 PM
Epoxy Flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandidat
Hi,

Prop, spinner, cowl and prop-adapter is available by hobbyking again…

ordered some parts...

Oliver
Thanks for letting us know. I have ordered some spares.

You did a good job saving the mx2 with the aileron loose. I'll have to reinforce mine!!
Jun 25, 2012, 09:39 AM

dropped it!

My first crash:

Landed upside down , but this was my fault, the plane is innocent!

Amazing little damage:
Prop, spinner, Cowl (I just ordered 3 of them) and some small cracks in the fuselage where the wings connect the fuse, engine mount lose -> already everything glued.

@Kollimann: with 2200mAh I get 6 Minutes flight time, with 3300 9 Minutes.
Where do you fly in Germany? I'm near of Hannover.

Oliver
Jun 25, 2012, 09:09 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I finally changed out the aileron servos in the wings today with hitec h55s's. It was the only thing I was waiting on. I was surprised to see that after the installation, the right aileron was jittering, just like it used to. I always suspected the ailerons caused both my crashes due to the nature of the crash, a sudden uncontrolled spiral into the ground, and now it looks like the possibility of an aileron issue may still exist. Otherwise the plane is good to go. As soon as I get a chance I'm taking it out
Jun 25, 2012, 09:15 PM
I need a bigger shed..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawi
I finally changed out the aileron servos in the wings today with hitec h55s's. It was the only thing I was waiting on. I was surprised to see that after the installation, the right aileron was jittering, just like it used to. I always suspected the ailerons caused both my crashes due to the nature of the crash, a sudden uncontrolled spiral into the ground, and now it looks like the possibility of an aileron issue may still exist. Otherwise the plane is good to go. As soon as I get a chance I'm taking it out
There's no binding in the hinges or nothing rubbing?
Just to test, try putting on a little bit of trim to see if the jittering goes away, sometimes servos seem to jitter at certain positions through their range. I think its when they're kinda halfway between two positions the pot wants to be in.

Good luck with the flight mate!
Jun 25, 2012, 09:41 PM
I, for one, gave up on the gremlins. The more I did, the less I got.
Don
Jun 25, 2012, 10:26 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I'll give that a try but I'm flying it the way it is. It seems better now.

Quick Reply