Mar 05, 2012, 04:53 AM
RC Toy World
Hi everyone! We have just taken stock of some new Starmax MX2 sets in RTF form. The prices have dropped from last year's prices, down over £50 for the same RTF kit compared to last year. This is really good value for an RTF kit.

You can see our stock at www.ebargainsdirect.co.uk
to remove ads between posts
Mar 05, 2012, 07:06 AM
Interresting promo video, starting with a totally uncontrollable takeoff followed by a crash LOL
Mar 05, 2012, 07:54 AM
KaptenKlister - now I see a good use for a quad. Makes a very stable camera platform!
Were your wings warped, anhedral? Or did you put some washout in the ends?

Roger - that article said that most planes benefit from a degree, up to 4 degrees, of washout. The reason it isn't so good for 3D and aerobatics is because it works against you inverted..

Hope the wind dies down, want to fly this MX2 as well as my new Yak.

Don
Mar 05, 2012, 08:09 AM
My wings where just bent downwards towards the tips, not warped.

It's fun trying to find ways to stay in front of a quad, however part of the movie was filmed trying to stay in front of a moving plane (HK EPP-FPV) that was a bit more tricky :-D
Mar 05, 2012, 11:27 AM
If both wings "drooped" the same amount, not too bad, but that is anhedral which is opposite of dihedral. It sure would not do any self correcting and might be just a bit harder to fly. My wings were checked with a metal straight edge and were flat, maybe just lucky. In the video, yours looked to be dead straight, I presume that was after you flattened them.
Don
Mar 05, 2012, 11:52 PM
Nose down, you're gonna stall
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrhardy
Well Jeeez Joe! Hope your new project will give you the practice plane you need!

Please do post photos of the gear mod. So from what you say, I better buy some bigger and heavier batteries, eh?

Don
Don,
I posted the gear mod photos already. Unless they've been removed, they can't be more than a couple of pages back.

The foamy MX2 handles the 4S 4400mah 40C batteries very well. No problem with power ...she still pulls like a mule and fast too. My buddy watched me fly it with the big batteries in it and bought them too. I gave him the opportunity to buy it and he jumped on it. He flies electric only.

My next project will be the repair/rebuild of my Seagull Yak 54 (90 size). I ordered the parts today and will order a new gas engine for it when the parts arrive. I should have the airframe ready to go by the time the engine arrives.
I had a version 1 (side carb) RCGF 20cc on it but, it died on me on the first flight and I muffed the dead-stick ...hence the need for parts.
I plan to replace the RCGF engine with a DLE 20cc ...much more reliable and more power. It will do the job nicely and will serve as my back-up for IMAC in case the 30% bird is sick.

RJ
Mar 06, 2012, 12:15 AM
Maybe I just dreamed I posted the gear mod pics.???? I went looking for them and couldn't find them.
Here they are ...
Mar 06, 2012, 12:18 AM
I didn't look back far enough. They were originally posted on page 65, post 974.

RJ
Mar 06, 2012, 07:34 AM
I do recall those photos, I thought they were someone else's. When you said gear mod, I thought you had a different one. I will hold off untill I need to do it. Did you use blind nuts or just use a self tapping kind of screw. The screw pattern is different so I know you didn't use the stock gear points. On other planes I have, a bit of epoxy around the mountining plate and a thin ply "girdle" over the two gear halves (ties them together) has worked well. I'll look deeper into the page 65 info.
My friend and I went to Perry, I got that EF Yak and he got the 90 size Seagull Yak from the same guy. He has already converted it to electric with a beer can sized motor and has 6s in it. Maybe today .... uhm, if the danged wind dies down.
Don
Mar 06, 2012, 02:55 PM
The gear I used was from a wrecked plane and the three-hole mounting plate was still attached. I used 5 ordinary wood screws (pan head ...flat head would be better) about 1 3/4 to 2" long to attach the mounting plate to the existing plates in the MX2 (all the way through to the embedded mounting block in the plane. I also added epoxy for additional strength.
Since the screws for the gear mounting plate were longer, I drilled holes in the MX2 mounting block directly behind the blind-nuts to allow them to fit.
Wish I had taken pictures as I progressed but, didn't think about it until I was finished. That's usually how it happens with me.

RJ
Mar 06, 2012, 11:04 PM
"Wish I had taken pictures as I progressed but, didn't think about it until I was finished. That's usually how it happens with me."

Me too. So if I have gear issues, find a gear I like/want, glue in a new piece of ply and go for it, eh?
Don
Mar 07, 2012, 07:49 PM
Looks like tomorrow is a good day to fly this plane. I have an extreme flight Yak54 that needs a maiden ... so, I take the MX2, the Yak, and what else? ??? I have too many to fly. But, some are just fun to fly.
Don
Mar 07, 2012, 07:58 PM
I need a bigger shed..
Quote:
Looks like tomorrow is a good day to fly this plane. I have an extreme flight Yak54 that needs a maiden ... so, I take the MX2, the Yak, and what else? ??? I have too many to fly. But, some are just fun to fly.
Don
As many as will fit in the car
Mar 07, 2012, 09:44 PM
darling wife's SUV holds several, but ...............
Don
Mar 08, 2012, 02:00 AM
Quote:
"Wish I had taken pictures as I progressed but, didn't think about it until I was finished. That's usually how it happens with me."

Me too. So if I have gear issues, find a gear I like/want, glue in a new piece of ply and go for it, eh?
Don

Close but, not exactly. There's a bit more to it than that.
This bird has so much power it won't even notice the extra weight of the heavier metal (aluminum) gear.
The mod is not only strong but, it looks good too. Guys at the field thought it was the factory gear.

RJ

Quick Reply