Mar 02, 2013, 04:29 PM
Can anyone recommend a cheap motor, receiver, esc package? I'm brand new to this scratchbuild, would like to keep costs down...Thanks
to remove ads between posts
Mar 02, 2013, 05:49 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman88
Can anyone recommend a cheap motor, receiver, esc package? I'm brand new to this scratchbuild, would like to keep costs down...Thanks
I'm flying mine with this package:

AX 2308N 1800kv Brushless Micro Motor ~$7
TowerPro w18A ESC ~$10
GWS EP Propeller (DD-8040 203x102mm) ~$3/pack of 6
HXT900 9g Micro Servo x 4 ~$3ea
Turnigy 2S 1600 mAh 30C LiPo battery ~$9

Radio is my usual Futaba, but you can purchase a low cost 4-ch 2.4GHz system for about $25.
Mar 02, 2013, 06:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Man
I'm flying mine with this package:

AX 2308N 1800kv Brushless Micro Motor ~$7
TowerPro w18A ESC ~$10
GWS EP Propeller (DD-8040 203x102mm) ~$3/pack of 6
HXT900 9g Micro Servo x 4 ~$3ea
Turnigy 2S 1600 mAh 30C LiPo battery ~$9

Radio is my usual Futaba, but you can purchase a low cost 4-ch 2.4GHz system for about $25.
Couple of questions.

Why do you need 4 servos? Can you use a 3.7V 1S 1600MAh battery instead of a 2S? What does the S mean?

Did you buy all of these from one specific retailler, or multiple ones?
Mar 02, 2013, 07:08 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Quote:
Why do you need 4 servos?
Because of the V-Tail configuration, and I use one servo per aileron to allow me to lift both of them as spoilers.

Left Ruddervator
Right Ruddervator
Left Spoileron
Right Spoileron

The simplest configuration is the single-aileron, "yank and bank" one, with only two servos:

Elevator
Single Aileron

Quote:
Can you use a 3.7V 1S 1600MAh battery instead of a 2S?
No -- a two-cell (2S) battery is about the minimum power required to operate a model of this size.

Quote:
What does the S mean?
Shorthand notation for number of cells in the LiPo battery:
1S = 3.7V
2S = 7.4V
3S = 11.1V and so on...

If you see a "P", it means "batteries in parallel"; this increases the endurance rather than the voltage. Ex.:

2S2P = two 7.4V in parallel, thus doubling the available mAh capacity.

Quote:
Did you buy all of these from one specific retailer, or multiple ones?
I get pretty much all my stuff at Hobby King for convenience, but you should be able to find the same (or similar) equipment anywhere online or at your local hobby shop.
Mar 02, 2013, 07:23 PM
Ya, I've only got the single elevator and aileron. Is it possible to buy a 2S battery that would use a microplug, as all of the planes I have currently are hobbyzone, like the champ, and I would like to stay with the same charging ability / radio if I can...
Mar 02, 2013, 07:24 PM
Also, the one thing I did not find in ur list or at lest was not apparent was the receiver. I have a DSM2 transmitter from Hobbyzone, wold like to continue to use that, if possible.
Mar 03, 2013, 12:06 AM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Quote:
Ya, I've only got the single elevator and aileron. Is it possible to buy a 2S battery that would use a microplug, as all of the planes I have currently are hobbyzone, like the champ, and I would like to stay with the same charging ability / radio if I can...
Then I would suggest that you scale down the design by one-third at least, and try to build it with thinner foam if you can find it (3mm Depron, for example). My motor/prop combination puts out around 90W and there's not a lot of reserve power. I don't think a micro-plug can safely handle the voltage and amps required to fly the current size.

Re: receiver, use whatever you have available. If it has standard servo plugs, it will do fine.
Mar 03, 2013, 02:10 PM
Quote:
Then I would suggest that you scale down the design by one-third at least, and try to build it with thinner foam if you can find it (3mm Depron, for example). My motor/prop combination puts out around 90W and there's not a lot of reserve power. I don't think a micro-plug can safely handle the voltage and amps required to fly the current size.

Re: receiver, use whatever you have available. If it has standard servo plugs, it will do fine.
That is the problem, I don't have any receivers available, all of my planes have been RTF, never had to go out and just buy a receiver..
Mar 03, 2013, 03:31 PM
Hello from Australia!
Things are a little different here... No Dollar Tree stuff and no Depron (at least affordable). What I can get is 10mm insulation EPS with Alu foil each side in large sheets of 1200mm x 2400mm. This will be the construction material. The sheets are available thicker too. I want to use either an AXN Floater motor or a Bixler motor. I have them on the shelf. Together with a 2100 3s, which I have a few off too, and a 30 or 40 Amp ESC. These components are a bit larger than the standard ones Foamflyer uses in his built. I want to scale the original built up a bit to suit the materials.

Does anybody have any suggestions how large I should go???
Mar 03, 2013, 05:03 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Quote:
That is the problem, I don't have any receivers available, all of my planes have been RTF, never had to go out and just buy a receiver..
This receiver should be compatible DSM2, and it won't break the bank ($6).

Don't know whether they are any good, but I have two Orange Futaba-compatible receivers and I've never had any trouble with them.
Mar 03, 2013, 06:05 PM
Quote:
This receiver should be compatible DSM2, and it won't break the bank ($6).

Don't know whether they are any good, but I have two Orange Futaba-compatible receivers and I've never had any trouble with them.
Since you have been so incredibly helpful already, might I impose on you further. I see the receiver has a lot of pins in the one end, which I know are for plugging in servos, ESC, battery. Do I need to buy certain types of cables that connect into two or four of those pins? I'm a total newbie to this, so please any help is appreciated.
Mar 03, 2013, 06:39 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Quote:
I see the receiver has a lot of pins in the one end, which I know are for plugging in servos, ESC, battery. Do I need to buy certain types of cables that connect into two or four of those pins?
No, you simply plug the servo directly in the slot labelled for its function. The ESC plug goes into the slot marked Throttle, which also supplies power to the receiver and servos. Or, if you have a receiver battery (6V) or UBEC, you can plug that into the slot marked "Batt".
Mar 03, 2013, 06:44 PM
Quote:
No, you simply plug the servo directly in the slot labelled for its function. The ESC plug goes into the slot marked Throttle, which also supplies power to the receiver and servos. Or, if you have a receiver battery (6V) or UBEC, you can plug that into the slot marked "Batt".
So when I buy the motor, servos, etc, they will all have the necessary wires which should be plug and play? I always assumed there was soldering and a bunch of other stuff involved..
Mar 03, 2013, 06:50 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Quote:
So when I buy the motor, servos, etc, they will all have the necessary wires which should be plug and play? I always assumed there was soldering and a bunch of other stuff involved..
There may be soldering involved for the motor and ESC, though some come with the motor-side connectors already attached. In general, though, you will need to at least solder a battery connector to the ESC.

Servos, however, are plug-and-play. The three wires end in a standard plug that fits most receivers. The ESC signal wire also comes with the servo-like plug already attached.
Mar 03, 2013, 06:55 PM
If I build it, it will fly
Did my maiden a few weeks ago, it was great! Just a sort couple of circuits around the field, then in for adjustment. Too much up ele in the v-tail. On my second flight I got her all trimmed out. On the third flight however, I high-lighted a slight flaw in design... I noticed during the build that the v-tail was a bit flexy due to boom length & lack of horizontal support. I made a mental note to add a dowel for bracing at the tail end... I forgot to add the brace. On a climb (forces inward on the inverted v) the left boom torqued the left wing into a higher AoA than the right. The balsa & light ply joiner snapped & the left wing folded up & over to lay on the right wing. will have to do a better job checking things before just getting out to fly LoL. i had an onboard vid, but it was grainy a hell & got stopped after the first flight some how... oh well, it's only foam.

~psguardian
Last edited by psguardian; Mar 03, 2013 at 06:59 PM. Reason: correcting autocorrect

Quick Reply