Aug 04, 2012, 03:49 PM
d68
d68
First of all, big thanks foamflyer for your build log. This is my first depron build and i'm hooked!

Today, the maiden flight went ok, not great. Let me explain: I use the 2408-21 TowerPro (1400kv) outrunner fitted with a 'cheap-5-in-a-bag' hobbyking 8x4 prop (https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11320). All is powered by a 2S/2200mA lipo. Total weight 520gr / 17.6oz. (without battery 400gr/13.5oz)

With nearly full throttle the plain looses altitude very easy, i don't think it has enough speed to induce enough lift.

What do you think: buy a 3S lipo? or maybe another prop? Other suggestions?

thanks from the Netherlands.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 04, 2012, 04:22 PM
Trapped in California
Thread OP
Hello d68,

Thanks for your compliments. I think you should try a 3S pack.
Aug 04, 2012, 09:56 PM
low tech high tech
I'm surprised at that performance. That should easily fly your plane at that weight, unless something else is unusual. Or the motor has a problem.

Are you sure you have the prop on correctly? In a pusher the prop is put on the motor opposite the way a tractor prop is put on. The lettering on the prop should be facing forward.
Aug 05, 2012, 04:59 PM
d68
d68
I will try a small 3s lipo first, I think it needs a little bit more speed.

A iphone video on a windy day:

Foampusher, design by foamflyer (0 min 34 sec)
Aug 10, 2012, 05:23 PM
I tried to find the Turnigy C2409 motor at Hobbyking. No luck. Could you mention the specifications for a motor for this good looking airplane. Also could I use 5 gm or 10 gm servos?
Aug 10, 2012, 06:23 PM
low tech high tech
Still available (equivalent) :

http://www.lazertoyz.com/2409-12D-65g_p_17.html
Aug 11, 2012, 10:15 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Result of my Saturday afternoon: a photo-recon plane based on the simple twin-boom pusher design. The only thing left to do is install the electronics and balance the plane. Two key-chain cameras (one front, one left side) to take pictures of our club field while we fly. The polyhedral wing extensions are removable for transport, I guess I can take them and the cameras off if I want more performance.

Note that I have a real problem here! This is my third build in as many weeks. I'm producing planes faster than I can crash them!
Aug 12, 2012, 04:18 PM
d68
d68
Well, with 3s and using the 2408 Towerpro the twin boomer can easily carry a GoPro + housing. (Only landing is more difficult). My Proof:

Twin Boom Foamer Enqreux (1 min 48 sec)

But also a warning, watch out for the prop in this pusher plane. It hit me during launch! Had to see a MD (and got a tetanus shot!). It hit my finger, sliced through the top of my finger and broke off. This accident also ripped the whole motor from the plane. In my next build I will try to fix this issue (now I understand the motorposition on e.g. the ez*).

But the twin boomer flies very well, ideal for my Ardupilot or FPV projects
Aug 12, 2012, 04:32 PM
low tech high tech
Throw it with throttle off, then hit the throttle after the launch.

btw, the original SO-11 used a speed 400 direct drive with a 6-3 prop which cleared the bottom of the pod. That is safer on a hand launch than a high power brushless of lower kV like the 2408 which requires a longer prop.

The 2409 has a higher kv at 1600, as well.
Sep 02, 2012, 09:02 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Maiden flight of my eleventh plane, the Orbiter Recon. Went pretty well!

Sep 2, 2012 - "Orbiter Recon" Maiden (2 min 44 sec)

I did a couple more flights after this one. I thought the plane was underpowered at first, but it's really not. You just have to give it time to climb. I guess I'm too used to flying bombs with more thrust than weight!

Flew 14 minutes on the 1600 mAh battery. I think I can stretch this to 20 minutes with good throttle management. Flies level at around 50% throttle.

Thanks to FoamFlyer for a solid design. The triangular booms were inspired!
Sep 02, 2012, 09:11 PM
low tech high tech
Seems to fly well. Interesting launch technique!
Sep 02, 2012, 10:05 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtdiy
Seems to fly well.
Once I got it trimmed (needed a bit of up elevator), it's an absolute joy to fly.

Quote:
Interesting launch technique!
Wasn't sure how it would behave, lift-wise, so I wanted max power available from the start. But I didn't want to loop off Andy's fingers, either, so I asked him to hold the plane that way.

(The plane was hand-launched normally on later flights, with the power off. Worked well and so I will use that method instead as it does not require a helper.)
Sep 13, 2012, 04:23 PM
Trapped in California
Thread OP
Nice plane (Orbiter Recon) V-Man! Good job!
Sep 13, 2012, 09:47 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by foamflyer
Nice plane (Orbiter Recon) V-Man! Good job!
Thanks! And good job to you for a simple yet effective design. Never would have thought to use triangular foam booms, they are much lighter than the wood I usually put in my twin-boom fliers. To everyone, I highly suggest using the V-tail -- it works like a charm and is very sturdy (lots of contact area to glue the tail fins).

Solid design, too. I had three "launch mishaps" last weekend, and only suffered minor damage. (On 2S, you really need someone to toss the plane for you.) If I had a glue gun like this in my tool box, I could have kept flying right then and there.

One thing I'm considering is whether to add reinforcement to the wing. With the extensions, mine has a total WS of 50" and is fairly "floppy". There was a good deal of wind last Sunday, and I could see the Orbiter "flapping" whenever there was a gust, or in a quick turn. On the other hand, I don't want to make it too rigid, either, and have it break midflight. Thoughts?

Currently getting around 15min of slow and steady flight with a 2S/1600 mAh battery. Could probably fit a bigger one if I omit the two cameras.
Sep 14, 2012, 05:08 PM
Vman, was there a reason you used a 2S or just didn't have a 3S at the time. Motor or ESC limits?

Quick Reply