Dec 14, 2015, 11:33 PM
Arizona Rim Country

Nice

Very Very Nice !
to remove ads between posts
Jun 07, 2016, 07:28 PM
Unregistered User

so small.

Just another note of thanks, Great design, scales well. I put together a smaller version with a 20" wingspan, I did not scale the 30" wing, I went with a kfm3 with a 5" chord, I think it would have been around 4" if I scaled down the plans... to be honest I had a fair number of adult beverages while constructing the airframe, so while I may have had grand ideas about scaling down to 65%, I ended up just using the build thread as a guideline. I also made it a 4ch (traditional tail) with 2 ailerons driven by one servo on the leading edge of the wing on the center line.
It has a 5x3 prop turned by a techone AT1306 3100kv motor, with a 10 A plush esc and a 450mAh 2s battery. I had these item around and scaled the plane to fit. Also, it has a micro cam/vtx unit in the nose.
Maidened today, flew great, minimal trim, cg was dead on. Can't wait to get under the goggles and have a little proximity flying fun in my new so.small. Thanks for the thead!
Jun 08, 2016, 11:59 AM
Crash,fly,crash again....
Quote:
Originally Posted by foamflyer
This will be my first build log with RCGroups. I want to share a very successful design I have that is very cheap, quick, easy, and fun, based on my "So" series.

Here are some details:
Main Construction Materials: Dollar-Tree foam board (black, 2 pieces 20x30"), 2" wide clear packing tape, hot glue, 5mm carbon tube (spar)

Wingspan: 30"
Airfoil: 10% KFm3
Target RTF Weight: 16-18 oz
Power: Turnigy C2409-1600, Turnigy 3S1800 20C
Controls: throttle, elevator, aileron (single)

So let's get going!

First, the wing. Cut from foam board (I'll just call it FB from now on) a piece that is 30" long by 9". By the way, have you ever found a perfectly straight sheet? It seems they all have a little warp to them, but the warps mostly disappear when I make wings. You will also need a strip of foam board measuring 30" by 1.75". This strip is the intermediary piece of the KFm3 airfoil. The 6" and 3" pieces will be folded, so don't cut all the way through.
Can I use a Emax CF2822 and a 2S battery to power this plane?
Jun 08, 2016, 09:41 PM
Permanently Banned
The 2812 1500kv would be better on 2S because the 2822 would need a high pitch prop like a 9x9 to get any usable pitchspeed.
Aug 12, 2016, 11:50 PM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Found some foam board so I decided I just had to try this.

Took me a little longer than I expected. I had not built anything with foam board before. Quite a learning curve.

I gave up on hot glue for attaching the booms and fuse to the wing as my little hot-glue gun wasn't up to the task - I used epoxy for this part but everywhere else it is hot glue.

The booms were hard to do and looked crappy with my hot glue so I trimmed them up and covered in red packing tape.

This has not flown yet as it is a bit windy outside and I would like to give it the best chance of survival.

I used second hand everything for this: a 36amp speedy with 2amp bec, a not too old floater jet motor, couple of hxt900's - some other planes hardware which was sacrificed to the flight gods, and a 6 channel orange dsm2. Total cost (using new prices for everything) including battery (1300mAh 3s) was about $60 AUD.

I will report on the maiden hopefully with some video ... thanks foamflyer I enjoyed the whole process
Last edited by mutha; Aug 13, 2016 at 12:00 AM.
Aug 13, 2016, 12:02 AM
Arizona Rim Country
That looks about right ! Nice
Aug 13, 2016, 10:38 AM
Trapped in California
Thread OP
That's quite a nose on the plane mutha! Looks pretty good though, good job! Triangular booms are a little more difficult to build than square. Let us know how it flies.
Aug 16, 2016, 06:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by foamflyer
That's quite a nose on the plane mutha! Looks pretty good though, good job! Triangular booms are a little more difficult to build than square. Let us know how it flies.
It actually flew beautifully Had a colleague hand launch it for me and it just rose into the air with close to full throttle. A few clicks of right and it was sweet!

I was able to roll it (not pretty but it did it) and completed about 8 circuits.
Unfortunately the next flight I attempted to hand launch it myself ...
A picture is worth a thousand words ...

The foam board I used is all I can find in Australia. It is 5mm thick and the AUW was nearly 600grams. Another club member was recently at the Flight Test event in the USA and he was saying that the foam in the USA is lighter??? I tried several hand launches and it continually rolled over like a tip stall. There just didn't seem to be enough initial lift and thrust. I think the wing was struggling with the weight, my colleague must have given it an almighty shove the first time! I think I will try to rebuild with less weight.

Foamflyer, the dimensions I used are exactly what you had in your plans from the first few posts so the nose was actually my take on that dimension.

I will hopefully have some footage of the successful flight shortly to share.

In the mean time I am going to try a variation ... (thoroughly enjoying the challenge this presents!)
Aug 16, 2016, 09:08 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutha
Unfortunately the next flight I attempted to hand launch it myself ...
A picture is worth a thousand words ...
No big deal to replace -- my own twin-boom is on its third or fourth fuselage (I lost count).

Quote:
The foam board I used is all I can find in Australia. It is 5mm thick and the AUW was nearly 600grams.
Before building, strip the paper off the foam (both sides) and tape the seams of the plane when it's assembled. Just as sturdy, if not more, and you get a nice glossy plane.
Aug 17, 2016, 04:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Man
No big deal to replace -- my own twin-boom is on its third or fourth fuselage (I lost count).

Before building, strip the paper off the foam (both sides) and tape the seams of the plane when it's assembled. Just as sturdy, if not more, and you get a nice glossy plane.
Thankyou for the input I am working on a variation to lighten the bird and will try removing the paper cover
Aug 22, 2016, 08:35 PM
There was a problem with the camera man on the video ... and he has taken licence with the resultant editing
twinboompusher (1 min 25 sec)

However ... surgery progresses and a new nose and booms are coming ....
Jan 14, 2017, 02:44 PM
AUW with a 3s 460mA battery is 315grams. Looking forward to flying it.
Last edited by boa2110; Jan 14, 2017 at 09:32 PM.
Jan 15, 2017, 08:17 PM
Nice build! What size is it? Wingspan?
Jan 16, 2017, 06:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy Steve
Nice build! What size is it? Wingspan?
60" wing. Quick maiden.
Last edited by boa2110; Oct 25, 2017 at 03:27 PM.
Jan 16, 2017, 07:19 PM
looks like you will be happy with it

I rebuilt mine with booms made from fiberglass tube also:

Skip to the end of this video to see it dropped from another plane

GMAC Daffodil Day 2016 (6 min 38 sec)
Last edited by mutha; Jan 16, 2017 at 07:30 PM. Reason: further pictures

Quick Reply