Jun 16, 2015, 07:33 PM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl holtz
any of you guys running dual aileron servos try flaperons? or is the plane just too light for them to be effective? thanks carl
Carl, I think you could just program them in and have them on a flight mode switch so they can be off or on. This way you can decide if they work for you.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 16, 2015, 09:15 PM
Thanks Mutha, that's what I was thinking. I'll give it a try this weekend. How much she k old i use? 10 or 15 deg's ?
Last edited by carl holtz; Jun 16, 2015 at 09:27 PM.
Jun 16, 2015, 09:25 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Quote:
any of you guys running dual aileron servos try flaperons? or is the plane just too light for them to be effective? thanks carl
I tried flaperons and didn't see a lot of benefit.

So instead the ailerons go up as spoilers, and are very useful when I'm way up in the clouds and need to come down in a hurry.
Jun 16, 2015, 09:55 PM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Quote:
Thanks Mutha, that's what I was thinking. I'll give it a try this weekend. How much she k old i use? 10 or 15 deg's ?
See if you can get it on a 3 position switch and maybe have 1 of the positions make them go a mm or 3 up -- for spoilerons as suggested

then try at your 10 degrees and maybe 20 degrees flaps test it from there ...

I suspect as vman said that the spoilers will be more effective in the end
Jul 08, 2015, 09:43 AM
Sorry, no experience with flaperons. The idea of an airbrake sounds good for shedding altitude quickly.

I've been logging a lot of hours with both the OP to-spec So.1 and my 48" giant So.2. The So.1 has quite a bit of battle damage to the fuselage, mainly from CC3D flight controller testing, but still flies great. My main plane is the So.2 though with the FPV setup. I purchased Quanum V2 goggles from HK and they work great:

Flying Near the Fox River (6 min 40 sec)

I'm currently bummed because I keep getting kicked out of good flying places, including the one from the vid above. There's really only a couple places left and I'm sure I'll get booted from those eventually as well. It seems all forest preserve districts and city parks have bans against RC flight. But yet they allow hunting, horses trampling the prairie grass, and giant picnics with alcohol.

I am likely going to join a flying club, but am on the prowl for a new field because it would be nice to have some variety. Where do you guys usually fly?
Aug 03, 2015, 03:40 PM
Thanks Foamflyer, I love this plane. It was my first scratch build, was easy and it flies great. Made it to your specs, didn't change a thing. Again thanks for sharing this build.
Sep 22, 2015, 09:42 AM
Permanently Banned
Subscribing.
Would 8 oz of thrust be enough to fly this? I have a Blue Wonder 1400kv on 3S and a 8x3.8 prop.
Sep 22, 2015, 12:57 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac96
Subscribing.
Would 8 oz of thrust be enough to fly this? I have a Blue Wonder 1400kv on 3S and a 8x3.8 prop.
Should be fine. Mine flies on about 100W (2S, 8x4 at around 12-14A). A clubmate flies his on a 3S battery with the same prop.
Oct 07, 2015, 03:27 PM
So I had a wing and a fuselage already built from other projects so I used your twin boom design and built me a new plane for a recent night fly. I will try to post a better pic later but that's it on the ground. I have a better pic on the wife's camera, soon as I find my card reader

Jon
Oct 26, 2015, 06:25 AM
Here is the pic of my simple twin boom build. 48" wing span. Wing was from a previous build. This is a great design to re-use any saved parts you might have. I have another wing under my bench that I think will become another version of this as well.

Thanks
Jon
Nov 23, 2015, 12:37 PM

Thank you

I stumbled across this thread and wanted to say thank you for the detailed log. I used your set up and merged it with FRC Su37 nose. It took some tweeking, and left some gaps, but that is why they make hotglueing and tape. Not sure when I will get a maiden in. I'm using a 450 zoom motor and a 60 amp esc...I may eventually 4s it, provided I don't destroy it. I've been a fan of the twin boom style, but have only had one prior to this...it was a kit from eBay, made from crappy foam and it was a disappointment. As I have progressed, I figure I can build disappointments myself, rather than buying one....I am kidding. Thank you again for sharing with us.
Nov 28, 2015, 10:38 AM
Pretty pleased with the results. Looks great in the air.

SuBoom (2 min 24 sec)
Nov 28, 2015, 10:53 AM
FED50H -
Really like the look of that frcfoamies designed nose on there.
Sweet flying plane.
Nov 28, 2015, 10:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by newt_596
FED50H -
Really like the look of that frcfoamies designed nose on there.
Sweet flying plane.
Thanks. It handles really well. I may have to 4S it and see if the verticals can hang on.....
Dec 14, 2015, 02:16 PM
More SUBoom (1 min 32 sec)

Quick Reply