Mar 27, 2013, 08:02 PM
Ya, I followed the instructions and I think everything is straight..ish its the CG and weight that really worry me...I guess I'll have to toss it and see if she flies..
to remove ads between posts
Mar 27, 2013, 08:28 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman88
Ya, I followed the instructions and I think everything is straight..ish its the CG and weight that really worry me...I guess I'll have to toss it and see if she flies..
Don't forget to check the CG with everything onboard... I once forgot the battery.

Weight, well, if you followed the instructions, you should be well within specs. At worst, the plane will have to fly faster. You can always stick wing extensions on later if you feel you need the lift...
Mar 27, 2013, 11:12 PM
Ya, my CG is kinda off to one side I fear..only a flight will tell. How do I add wing extensions to the standard 30in plan wing? Add them like flaps or just rebuild the wing?
Mar 28, 2013, 10:46 AM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Quote:
Ya, my CG is kinda off to one side I fear..only a flight will tell.
Your CG should be centered. You probably have too much equipment on one side. Either move things around (say, ESC on the left, Rx and servos on the right) or add some weight to the lighter side until the plane balances (a coin in the wingtip should work).

Quote:
How do I add wing extensions to the standard 30in plan wing? Add them like flaps or just rebuild the wing?
Neither. Simply build a second wing, using the method outlined by FoamFlyer. Once it's done, cut it in half. Use a piece of dowel or carbon fiber to connect the spars, and some tape to fix the wing extensions in place. Make sure the aileron can still move, and you're done.

(Personally, I cut a piece of liteply with a bent shape to get some dihedral. That's because mine is a camera ship, and I need extra stability.)

EDIT: Simpler to explain with a picture.
Last edited by V-Man; Mar 28, 2013 at 10:58 AM.
Mar 28, 2013, 12:55 PM
Very nice. I might just have to try that if this does not work out, still waiting for pushrods..I'll be sure to post how it files, if it does..
Mar 28, 2013, 04:01 PM
Finally got my pushrods with the EZ connections. I bought this

http://headsuphobby.com/Du-Bro-20-Mi...?categoryId=-1

I figured out I can use the screw and washer part on the actual horn, but how do I connect the 90 degree bend into the servo? Do I need to bend that part again so taht it will stay, or do I use the plastic piece that came with the connectors to link all that together?
Mar 28, 2013, 04:42 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Quote:
I figured out I can use the screw and washer part on the actual horn, but how do I connect the 90 degree bend into the servo? Do I need to bend that part again so taht it will stay, or do I use the plastic piece that came with the connectors to link all that together?
No bending required. See image -- you put the 90deg wire in the horn's hole, trap it there with the plastic piece.

On the servo side, drill the control arm until you can attach the cylinder in place. The pushrod goes into the cylinder's hole and is trapped in place by the screw. Adjust length as needed and tighten. Some add locktite but I've never had a pushrod come lose.
Mar 28, 2013, 06:48 PM
ahh, I dont think I would have figured that out in a million years...is there any way to hook up the pushrod to the control horn, I somehow lost the little plastic clip...i swear those things are meant to be misplaced...
Mar 28, 2013, 08:35 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Quote:
ahh, I dont think I would have figured that out in a million years...is there any way to hook up the pushrod to the control horn, I somehow lost the little plastic clip...i swear those things are meant to be misplaced...
Take a pair of pliers and do a second bend to get a "Z" shape. This will avoid the need for the plastic retainer.

(Go back a few posts to #152 and look at the pictures I posted. Replicate what you see.)
Mar 29, 2013, 04:36 PM
Pleased to say after all my work and all of your help, the plane flies..mostly..with a sever right turn, I'm not sure if its because of the placement of the engine maybe being off center, the wing not producing as much lift that side, or something else like CG, but it flies enough to be controllable.

Thanks V Man and everyone else for al of your help..
Mar 29, 2013, 06:08 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Quote:
Pleased to say after all my work and all of your help, the plane flies..mostly..with a sever right turn, I'm not sure if its because of the placement of the engine maybe being off center, the wing not producing as much lift that side, or something else like CG, but it flies enough to be controllable.
Glad to hear it! Take some videos or pictures and we'll help you figure out that right turn thing. Could be a weight unbalance, a warped surface somewhere, maybe you've got some off-center thrust in the motor...
Mar 29, 2013, 06:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Man
Glad to hear it! Take some videos or pictures and we'll help you figure out that right turn thing. Could be a weight unbalance, a warped surface somewhere, maybe you've got some off-center thrust in the motor...
I think all three of those are possible..
Mar 29, 2013, 07:42 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Quote:
I think all three of those are possible..
First thing I'd check, see if the plane balances on the center. You seem to have a lot of equipment on the right side.

Second, it might be the angle of the picture but it looks like your fuselage isn't centered on the wing.

Third, again it might be the angle, but it looks like your horizontal stabilizer isn't parallel to the wing. That might induce a turning motion.

Don't be afraid to scrap the airframe and move the equipment to a fresh one if you feel you have to. That's the great thing with this foam, it's so cheap there's no reason to try and salvage damaged parts!
Mar 29, 2013, 11:59 PM
Ya, I thought about remaking the airframe..I'm not sure if I should use the same design, or a standard low T tail....
Mar 30, 2013, 02:51 PM
Found the weight to be AUW of 13.3 oz...10.4 oz/sq ft...heavy, but if I can get the turn out, I think I can fly it..

Quick Reply