Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Mar 18, 2013, 10:00 PM
Do you make your own pushrods, and do you have a picture of one so I could make some?

I really appreciate all of your assistance, and I am sure I will have many more questions once all of my electronics stuff arrives in a few days...
to remove ads between posts
Mar 20, 2013, 01:05 AM
That is awesome. Where did you buy your control horns? I guess I'll need to get some of those and the EZ connectors...so many things to buy for something that may not fly...
Mar 20, 2013, 10:11 AM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman88
That is awesome.
A lot of the credits goes to FoamFlyer. The design is deceptively simple, but someone had to think of the triangular booms first...

Quote:
Where did you buy your control horns?
Hobby King, bag of 10 for around $2. Note that you can make your own free control horns with liteply (not balsa!), sheet styrene (an expired credit card will do), or even a popsicle stick.

I use ready-made hardware because I have more spare money than spare time.

Quote:
I guess I'll need to get some of those and the EZ connectors...
You can skip the EZ connectors and use a Z-bend at each end of the pushrods, as long as you put a double-bend in the latter to allow for minute length adjustments. That's what I did for my second plane (look closely at the pic in my previous message).

Quote:
so many things to buy for something that may not fly...
Well, the set-up that you ordered is suitable for a wide range of parkflyer planes, and unless you do something really dumb, the electronics should survive any mishap. One of the guys at my field has been moving the same 72 MHz receiver and set of servos from plane to plane for the last few years (he's broke ).
Mar 20, 2013, 02:32 PM
Good to know all of that. I might just need to buy some control horns pack of 10 and be done with it. You said you epoxied them in, did you put them through the fuse, or just epoxy them on top?
Mar 20, 2013, 02:38 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Quote:
Good to know all of that. I might just need to buy some control horns pack of 10 and be done with it.
They can be salvaged and reused if the plane doesn't work out.

Quote:
You said you epoxied them in, did you put them through the fuse, or just epoxy them on top?
You make a slit through the control surface. The horn has a tab (or pin) molded into it, that you just push in. They provide a slotted plate that goes onto the other side, but I don't use it; I prefer to glue the horn in.
Mar 20, 2013, 04:56 PM
Would something like this do it all, have the push rods, the control horns, etc

http://headsuphobby.com/Du-Bro-20-Mi...?categoryId=-1
Mar 20, 2013, 06:42 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Quote:
Would something like this do it all, have the push rods, the control horns, etc

http://headsuphobby.com/Du-Bro-20-Mi...?categoryId=-1
Yes, though you'll have to cut one of the pushrods for the aileron, and you'll still need horns (the set doesn't include them).

(See posts #20 and 22 for servo and pushrod set-up.)
Mar 21, 2013, 01:40 PM
I got my parts, but I can not for the life of me figure out how to mount the 8040 prop on the Firepower 300 motor...For one thing, the prop doesn't even fit on either end of the shaft, not to mention how I am going to mount it...
Mar 21, 2013, 03:48 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Quote:
I got my parts, but I can not for the life of me figure out how to mount the 8040 prop on the Firepower 300 motor...
Look at the metal cone-like piece. That's your prop adaptor. Most unscrew into three parts. One goes on the motor shaft. The other goes over it. Then the propeller goes next, and the cone goes up front, screwed down on the prop. This puts pressure on the rear parts and will squeeze to hold them to the motor shaft.

I can't tell from the picture, but it's possible that this is a "collet" type adaptor. In that case, you'll have only two parts, with the prop sandwiched in the middle. The rear part will hold onto the shaft with one or two tiny grub screws.

(And don't forget that this is a pusher plane, so "front" should read as "back", and the lettering on the prop should face the motor.)

Quote:
For one thing, the prop doesn't even fit on either end of the shaft, not to mention how I am going to mount it...
GWS props come with a 3mm hole (which usually works for the older brushed motors and CD-ROM "bell" motors). You're supposed to drill the center hole out to the proper size, making sure the hole is straight and centered. If you have access to a drill press, it's a 15-second job. You can also do it with a hand drill (or even just a drill bit!) if you're careful.
Mar 21, 2013, 05:59 PM
That did the trick, although I have a spacer piece on the "back" behind the prop and motor I do not know what to do with, and I think I managed to burn out my receiver, as I am not able to get a blinking light when plugged into my ESC....
Mar 21, 2013, 06:17 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Quote:
That did the trick, although I have a spacer piece on the "back" behind the prop and motor I do not know what to do with
Check the picture of the motor in the store to see where it goes. Sometimes equipment is assembled incorrectly at the factory.

Quote:
I think I managed to burn out my receiver, as I am not able to get a blinking light when plugged into my ESC....
Might be a binding issue. Check the documentation to troubleshoot. I doubt that you burned it out since plugs and voltage output are standardized.

If it still doesn't work, contact the vendor. I'm betting on a binding issue, though.
Mar 21, 2013, 06:34 PM
Ya, I binded it every way I can think of, but I don't get a power light when its plugged into the battery through the ESC...Maybe my battery is too low?
Mar 21, 2013, 10:23 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Quote:
Ya, I binded it every way I can think of, but I don't get a power light when its plugged into the battery through the ESC...Maybe my battery is too low?
I'm not familiar with DSM2, so I'm afraid I can't help here...
Mar 22, 2013, 12:59 AM
What radio type do you use? I thought DSM2 was pretty standard?