Mar 16, 2013, 04:57 PM
Can any of the parts mentioned be bought at Hobbypartz? I'm finding similar items but not sure if they are compatible? For example, a 6 channel flysky DSM2 receiver for 12 bucks..
to remove ads between posts
Mar 16, 2013, 07:07 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman88
Can any of the parts mentioned be bought at Hobbypartz? I'm finding similar items but not sure if they are compatible?
Find equipment with similar characteristics and you'll be fine (for example, grab a Dynam 9g servo instead of an HexTronic one). Chances are that they come from the same factories in China, anyway...

Quote:
For example, a 6 channel flysky DSM2 receiver for 12 bucks..
If it's DSM2 it should work, but feel free to ask them before buying. Can save a lot of headache.
Mar 16, 2013, 07:25 PM
So basically as long as I get the right characteristics, like the 9g servo, the 2s 1600mAh battery, the ame pitch prop, etc, I should be good?
Mar 16, 2013, 10:21 PM
V Man,

How did you mount the motor you provided in your specs sheet? When i look at the directions FoamFlyer made, he shows drilling holes for the motor mount, but on your motor, I don't see this mount piece..did you fit the motor inside the fuse?
Mar 16, 2013, 10:40 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Quote:
So basically as long as I get the right characteristics, like the 9g servo, the 2s 1600mAh battery, the same pitch prop, etc, I should be good?
Yes. The technical details are important, the brands are not (well, they are, but not at this level of equipment).

Feel free to include links to the stuff you want to purchase and we will let you know whether it fits the Twin-Boom Pusher.
Mar 17, 2013, 04:54 PM
Looking at this list

http://www.headsuphobby.com/viewcart.sc

The motor is the main thing I am concerned about, as I don't know if you can go over or under the 1800kv specified..
Mar 17, 2013, 06:30 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Quote:
The list stays in the browser memory of your computer, it's not loaded on the HeadsUpRC site. Therefore I see nothing.

Please make a copy/paste of your shopping cart here.

Quote:
The motor is the main thing I am concerned about, as I don't know if you can go over or under the 1800kv specified..
You're looking at a power level that needs to be matched with the prop, ESC and battery. If it's not 1800kv, it's okay, but you may need to change other components.

(The one I built for my clubmate has an 1300kv -- but otherwise identical -- AX2308N motor. We had to go to 3-cell in order to get enough power. See the video.)
Mar 17, 2013, 06:48 PM
Hope the picture works...
Mar 18, 2013, 12:00 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Prop: too big, way too much pitch for that motor. If you use the motor I suggest below, buy a GWS8040 prop. (Full disclaimer: that's my "go to" prop. Most of my planes use that one, including my own Twin-Boom Pusher.)

Battery: fine, mine is smaller (1600 mAh). Make sure you have a LiPo charger. The battery seems to come with a Deans plug, make sure you buy similar connectors for the ESC (http://www.headsuphobby.com/T-Plugs_c180.htm).

Motor: too small, unless you scale down the plane. Looking through their selection, I would pick this one instead, it comes with all the hardware:
http://www.headsuphobby.com/EMP-2826...otor-H-380.htm

ESC: looks fine.

Receiver: not a DSM2 flyer, so I can't comment. Call the store before ordering to make sure it's compatible with your transmitter.

Servos: look fine. Single aileron + elevator, I presume?

The above selection presumes that you are following FoamFlyer's design, and are based on my own equipment and experience. Meant as suggestions, not hard truth. Your Milleage May Vary, etc.
Mar 18, 2013, 01:36 PM
Why is the motor too small? There is more Kv on the motor I chose, I thought more was better. The motor you showed is currently out of stock, any alternatives?
Mar 18, 2013, 02:28 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Quote:
Why is the motor too small?
It's only 70 watts, not quite enough for a plane this size. In fact, they tell you this in the motor's description: "for small parkflyers weighing 6 to 12 ounces." FoamFlyer's target weight is 16-18oz (see first message in this thread).

Quote:
There is more Kv on the motor I chose, I thought more was better.
Kv shows you how many revolutions of the prop will occur for a given voltage. In general, large props go with low kv motors, small props with medium kv motors, and ducted fans with high kv motors. A given kv is only "better" if it correctly matches the stats of the rest of the equipment.

Quote:
The motor you showed is currently out of stock, any alternatives?
Look for something between 100-150 watts. That will give you some margin in case the plane ends up heavier.

Scroll down the motor product pages and you will often see a table showing performances and prop. Pick a motor that provides high thrust while staying about 25% under the max A rating of your chosen ESC.

This one might work (it lacks prop data, but the stats look okay):
http://www.headsuphobby.com/Firepowe...otor-G-555.htm

Or this:
http://www.headsuphobby.com/Firepowe...otor-G-560.htm
Mar 18, 2013, 02:58 PM
I updated with parts you suggested, price came out the same. Picture attached.

Will I need anything to mount the prop to the shaft? Also, what would you recommend for a battery charger?
Mar 18, 2013, 03:59 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Quote:
I updated with parts you suggested, price came out the same. Picture attached.
Looks good. With that prop, at full throttle you'll get about 13oz of thrust. The plane won't go vertical, but it will fly well.

Quote:
Will I need anything to mount the prop to the shaft?
The motor appears to come with a prop adaptor.

Quote:
Also, what would you recommend for a battery charger?
You can get an inexpensive one that will only take 2-3 cells batteries for maybe $15-20. If you're in the hobby for the long run, though, get a quality one (around $100-150 -- I have a MRC Super Brain 989). It will serve you well.

And of course, observe all security measures when charging LiPo batteries. Goes without saying...
Mar 18, 2013, 06:02 PM
Sounds good. I guess I will go ahead and pull the trigger on this order then. What do you recommend for pushrods?
Mar 18, 2013, 08:39 PM
Airplane and Heli Flyer
Quote:
Sounds good. I guess I will go ahead and pull the trigger on this order then. What do you recommend for pushrods?
Whatever works for you.

Mine are just regular music wire with a z-bend at the control horn, and a Dubro EZ connector at the servo end. A bit heavy but super simple.

Alternatives include threaded pushrods, wood or carbon fiber rods, clevises, pull-pull cords, etc.

Quick Reply