Apr 11, 2011, 06:42 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Please Pray for sheppard559!!! Jet motor accident- PROGRESS PICTURE ADDED

Hello, My name is Stacie and I am Sheppard559(Lavelle)'s wife.
I am posting this to ask for your prayers.

Yesterday he was testing his Jet motor and it some how exploded and fragments punctured his eye through safety glasses! He was rushed to the emergency room by ambulance where they did a emergency surgery on his eye. The surgery was two hours and the Dr. stated that his eye was severed in three places. The Doctor told me that his eye was cut into three pieces almost clear through the other side. He doesn't know that I am posting this but, I know he considers you all, rc groups, his friends and would not want the same to happen to you. I have enclosed pictures and they are after the incident. The first picture is of his eye after they stitched it back up(the lines are the stitches). The second is what is left of the Jet motor that I found scattered across the floors and walls. The doctor said that the good news is that his eye is holding pressure(which means holding fluid that they had to put back in his eye) but can't tell the outcome until a few months. So please, please, keep him in your prayers and that he has a full recovery!

Thank you and God Bless
Stacie

04/19/11- I would like to add an update and thank those that have helped
Companies:
Easy Tiger Models (Curtis) http://easytigermodels.com/
Smartmodels (Kin) http://www.smartmodel.com.hk/index.asp
SoCal Customs (Spencer and employees) http://www.socalcustom.info/

Individuals:
Abasame Ali
Jose Ariasperez
Andy Brito
Jeff Check
Leopoldo Cicero
David Barrow
Elrick Dawson
Bruce Dealhoy (Byrocat)
Guy Delorme
Larry Eddington
Joe Eiers (Albireo)
Jim Gillespie (trojant28)
Phil Holmes (p901p901)
Nicholas Kriete
Knlken
Kenneth Lapointe
Tony Love
Sam and Lynn Mason (Sammy70)
Robert Prescott
John Raparelli (Bigrap)
Joe Zabin (Lavochkin)
Andrew Zaner
Jaime Zuniga (Jzuniga)

and the hundreds of people who have been praying and are still praying for us.
Last edited by sheppard559; May 31, 2011 at 02:46 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 11, 2011, 06:50 PM
Suspended Account
I don't know sheppard(lavelle) but, my prayers are out for him and hope for full vision to restore in that eye! Take Care Ken

EDIT: Message from an old member that cannot post here,

Our friend, customer, and fellow modeller, Lavelle Sheppard of California, suffered a rather serious eye injury while testing an EDF unit recently. He has been through surgery and the prognosis is good, he may recover his vision in that eye, it is too early to tell.
One unfortunate aspect, though, is that he has no medical insurance and is currently out of work. He will have some serious medical bills to deal with, and still has to support his family. If you guys could donate just a little bit to help him out until he gets back up on his feet, that would be great.
It does not have to be much, but every bit helps. Medical bills can get awfully big awfully fast.
Donate what you can directly to him and his wife via Paypal:[email protected]
Do not send anything directly to us at Easytiger Models.
We will set up some sort of auction for some items at ETM to do our part to help out also.
He is lucky to have access to some great doctors, and he is getting some help with navigating the public health system to get any benefits that might be available to him, but still, whatever you can donate will help Lavelle and his family, so please reach out a little and give what you can.
Please spread the word and post this to your club and to the various forums such as RCgroups, RCUniverse, the AMA Forum, Wattflyer, and the like.

Sorry to trouble you with this, but he is a fellow modeller in need, and whatever you can do to help would be good karma for all.

All the best
Curtis
Owner
Easytiger Models
Last edited by knlken; Apr 14, 2011 at 02:29 PM.
Apr 11, 2011, 06:52 PM
Done it all
I wish him the best also. Hopefully he regains full sight in the very near future.

Al G.
Apr 11, 2011, 06:53 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
That is an aweful news! While i dont know Lavelle personally, the last thing we want to see is one of rcgroupers getting hurt doing what we love to do. Best of luck to you Lavelle and Stacie. You will be in our prayers.
Apr 11, 2011, 07:07 PM
up up and away
I'm sorry to hear the bad news. I hope for the best and he will be in my prayers.
Apr 11, 2011, 07:10 PM
Suspended Account
Ouch! That sucks. That eye don't look too pretty. Hope he can see out of it when it heals.
Apr 11, 2011, 07:13 PM
2019 EDF Jet Jam June 13-16
My prayers for a full recovery go out to him.
Apr 11, 2011, 07:16 PM
IAM1
My prayers for a complete recovery.
Apr 11, 2011, 07:28 PM
Said a prayer for him.... all the rest of us should watch out for the "cheap" alternative. That looks like it was a Haoye 4.5" fan with a Turbax rotor and a Turnigy motor. It doesn't look like the rotor exploded so I would guess that either the motor shaft broke or the Haoye fan motor mount broke. Looks like an aftermarket motor extension was being used.

Please be careful with these high powered EDFs.

Ron
Apr 11, 2011, 07:42 PM
skunkworks
My wife and I will keep him in our prayers . I hope he does indeed have a speedy recovery.
Apr 11, 2011, 07:46 PM
Wow! thats too bad. Good luck man hope everything turns out OK.
Apr 11, 2011, 08:09 PM
"LiPo-Blaster"
Stacie...Very sorry to hear about this. Thanks for reminding us of the possible dangers some of these high powered EDF's can present.

It's very sweet of you to start this thread, sounds like something my Wife would do...tell Lavelle my family and several members here at RCgroups are Praying for you guys!

Keep your chin up and take care, prayers & modern medicine are amazing!

-Rick
Last edited by RugFlyer; Apr 11, 2011 at 08:37 PM.
Apr 11, 2011, 08:13 PM
Best wishes.
I will pray for his full recovery.
Apr 11, 2011, 08:29 PM
Thread OP
Thank you so much to all of you!! I believe there is power in prayer and am very grateful for all your heart warming thoughts and wishes! Know wonder why he is on here so much, lol just a great group of people! Thanks again and continue to pray for him! I will relay these messages to him and I know he will appreciate them very much!
Apr 11, 2011, 08:32 PM
He had a nice test stand but nothing to defect flying debris in the event of a break up. I'm always nervous when spooling up edf units.

Quick Reply