This thread is privately moderated by phil alvirez, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Apr 11, 2011, 06:33 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

this is my story: paper planes-again

back to 'paper' airplanes. now on my final chapter (there are some in between that i have to add later), i find myself dealing with paper airplanes (thin foam, that is), just as i started, many years ago. as you know, i like small, slow, easy to fly planes that fly by themselves, free flight style, so when i watched a sukhoi flying at the gym and began to nose in the threads, i realized that it had the components that i needed for the ultimate backyard plane of my dreams. i had some thin foam that i got from kenway years ago, so i took it and developed another Elf, using the innards of the suk. it was a 'paper' plane (1mm foam) that i could fly at my backyard, and i also could control it so it didn't fly away. beyond my wildest dream! then, as there is a narrow walkway at the edge of the backyard, i began practicing take-offs and landings. so, compared to my early paper planes, that i could fly only once, and just watch them gliding down from my balcony, this was more than i could ask for. as i said before, we are living beyond science-fiction. safe 2.4, lithium, geared micro-motors, foam, (and all so cheap), are things that we could not even dream-of a few years ago. and so many things to experiment. welcome to fantasyland.
then i decided to get another system for another plane. by then, they had released the 4site, so i got 1, but before i removed all, i tried the plane at our grass field, but it was a handful. am not an advanced pilot, and i was not having fun, so decided to de-tune it by moving the pushrods to the furthest position, but still was too much, even using expo. so eventually i removed the parts for another of my elfs. so far, i have built several elfs (see below) and 1 wing (and another in the process), and having a great time, at the lowest budget i could imagine. cells run at about $1, and even if the charge lasts about 5 minutes and i do about same flights with take-off and landing-or catching-i carry several in my pocket and just replace them. the only thing is that they are very sensitive to low temps and can't fly at near freezing, as i do with larger capacity. but am looking forward for real spring to come and fly at my backyard again with these marvels.
Last edited by phil alvirez; May 01, 2011 at 01:24 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 09, 2011, 10:57 PM
Watt Waster

Almost Paper Thin Foam RC Models

I know what you mean about thin foam and less expensive options for RC models. I am also cutting foam of various types and thickness for a number of designs I find interesting, not complicated, and fun to fly. The EPP foam has been an experience, but it is a tad heavy and flexible for most of the things I want to do. I am currently working with 1/4" thick Fan Fold Foam (FFF) commonly available in most lumber and hardware stores. It has already demonstrated very useful characteristics and others have done much more with it. I am still learning, but when I came across the Cartoon Planes thread my interest was peaked. I would love to see some of your planes.
Latest blog entry: Center of Gravity - Airplanes
May 10, 2011, 02:02 AM
Thread OP

paper thin

good to hear from you. i have 6 and 9mm foam planes like the so-called 3d for indoor and wild stunts, although i am just happy to stay airborne in a confined space like in a gym.
but these planes like the elfs in 18 to 24" ws and 1-2 mm foam are at the absolute limit. i even have to use strings to provide rigidity to the frame, and the undercamber doubles as hi-lift airfoil and stiffener.

Quick Reply