Apr 12, 2011, 06:04 AM
Winging it >
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyifamppowered
A prize for the greatest " miss-hap "
Should be interesting seeing a copter land poorly carrying weight !
Great idea! I just added best video category to the list.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 12, 2011, 06:12 AM
Winging it >
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipercubdude
pipercubdude,

So that's how they built the pyramids.

Could you break out the weight of the copter only... no batteries; and also the weight of the payload. The payload is the bricks, supports added to carry the bricks and also batteries all lumped together as the payload weight. We'll be able to enter your copter in both the greatest payload and the most efficient lifter categories if you'd like.

Also, if you don't mind sharing some details of your build, I'm sure others would like to know what guts you are using; motor, esc, props, batteries, control system, etc.
Last edited by leadfeather; Apr 12, 2011 at 06:23 AM.
Apr 12, 2011, 11:37 AM
Here is my big one built for FPV. It is 41.5" between motors.
Video is uploading now but I still need to tweak my PID.
930 KV 50gr motors, 10x4.7 props, 3s 2200 battery.
Mike
Apr 12, 2011, 11:43 AM
Winging it >
Thread OP
Mike, Congtratulations! You are the current leader in the larges size category.
Apr 12, 2011, 01:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfeather
pipercubdude,

So that's how they built the pyramids.

Could you break out the weight of the copter only... no batteries; and also the weight of the payload. The payload is the bricks, supports added to carry the bricks and also batteries all lumped together as the payload weight. We'll be able to enter your copter in both the greatest payload and the most efficient lifter categories if you'd like.

Also, if you don't mind sharing some details of your build, I'm sure others would like to know what guts you are using; motor, esc, props, batteries, control system, etc.
do you want the weight of the three bricks or just the two ??
Apr 12, 2011, 01:25 PM
Winging it >
Thread OP
Quote:
do you want the weight of the three bricks or just the two ??
From what I could see in the video it looked like you made the 10 seconds with the 2 brick load. Your total payload would be the 2 bricks + wood supports to carry the bricks + your batteries.
Apr 12, 2011, 02:03 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeQDAsVVcB4
Motors 1000kv 480W
props 12x3.8 APC
70A ESC HK
5S 5A Zippy
Hoverfly pro
frame homemade 3/4 aluminum
unfortunately my bathroom scale isn't very accurate under 10 pounds but im doing my best with it for now
looks like the airframe weighs in at just under 5 lbs
batt and two bricks 12 lbs
batt and three bricks 16 lbs
+this wasn't even maxed out so competitors beware...
Last edited by pipercubdude; Apr 25, 2011 at 01:24 PM. Reason: more info
Apr 12, 2011, 02:31 PM
Impressive.
Mike
Apr 12, 2011, 02:32 PM
Winging it >
Thread OP
Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeQDAsVVcB4
Motors 1000kv 480W props 12x3.8 70A ESC 5S
unfortunately my bathroom scale isn't very accurate under 10 pounds but im doing my best with it for now
looks like the airframe weighs in at just under 5 lbs
batt and two bricks 12 lbs
batt and three bricks 16 lbs
Great! If you get more accurate reading later we can adjust.

for the heavy lift that makes 12lbs./2.2 = 5.45 kg

lifting efficiency 12lbs/5lbs = 2.4:1 or 240% (excellent!)
Apr 12, 2011, 03:12 PM
i will have to give it another go because also yestarday when i used the bricks they where damp and this morning when i weighed them they where dry because i brought them inside so i need a better scale and more consistent weights.
Apr 12, 2011, 05:27 PM
http://drone-pilot.blogspot.fr
I think there needs to be a category of 'most dangerous quad'. My quad just tried to kill me, but like George W dodging a shoe, I managed to duck out of the way just in time.
Apr 12, 2011, 05:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovegroove
I think there needs to be a category of 'most dangerous quad'. My quad just tried to kill me, but like George W dodging a shoe, I managed to duck out of the way just in time.
George knew that shoe was coming otherwise it would have clipped him good. LOL
Apr 12, 2011, 08:02 PM
Winging it >
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovegroove
Yikes! I'm hoping the "best video" category does not involve blood!
Apr 13, 2011, 09:56 AM
Winging it >
Thread OP
Something that continues to amaze me with these multicopters is the lifting efficiency when compared to a conventional helicopter. On paper, the conventional helicopter; with it's much larger rotor disk; should be much better but it seems just the opposite is true. Now with pipercubdude's quad lifting 2.4+ times it's own weight I'm even more impressed. Is there any conventional RC helicopter that can come anywhere close to this kind of payload/weight performance?

The multi's have less power going to anti-torque and also less gear and belt losses, but is that it?

I also wonder if the relative performance improvement holds as you scale up....say to the size of a man carrying multicopter?
Apr 13, 2011, 11:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfeather
I also wonder if the relative performance improvement holds as you scale up....say to the size of a man carrying multicopter?
i was wondering the same thing...

Quick Reply