Jul 24, 2013, 05:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fioulmaster
Look that on Mirumod.tk:
"Writing the pilot log to the USB stick on a drone 2 makes the drone very twitchy when video is recorded at the same time. at2so writes it's log to /tmp/at2so.log and pilot writes it to /data/video/P%d.txt, with %d replaced by the boot index of the Arduino modulo 5."
Thanks Fioulmaster, but I got the impression that Miro had tackled that with the newest code v020, v021

It that's not the case I get it from the drone with an FTP command.. No problem
Erik
to remove ads between posts
Jul 24, 2013, 07:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by miru
You don't have to disconnect the MiruLLC, just make sure the drone is powered off. Sometimes it is a USB cable problem.
Thanks Miru. I tried three different cables and still no joy. I also tried manually reinstalling the drivers and that didn't work either. I think something may be wrong with the onboard FTDI chip.I ordered a new nano that should be here Friday so we'll see if that one works. If it does then I'll know something is off with the one I have now.
Jul 24, 2013, 07:09 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekoelle
Thanks Miru. I tried three different cables and still no joy. I also tried manually reinstalling the drivers and that didn't work either. I think something may be wrong with the onboard FTDI chip.I ordered a new nano that should be here Friday so we'll see if that one works. If it does then I'll know something is off with the one I have now.
Did you try to unplug the assembly from the drone?
Jul 24, 2013, 07:33 PM
Quote:
Did you try to unplug the assembly from the drone?
Tried it both unplugged and plugged in same result. It showed up as a com port briefly a few minutes ago but any upload from the arduino IDE failed with the stk500 message. I even tried uploading a simple blink sketch and it didn't take. I removed the ICSP header on it so I can't test it that way at the moment. Now I'm back to an unrecognized device in device manager. Still thinking the ftdi chip is the culprit.
Jul 25, 2013, 02:53 AM
Makers gonna make...
Quote:
Tried it both unplugged and plugged in same result. It showed up as a com port briefly a few minutes ago but any upload from the arduino IDE failed with the stk500 message. I even tried uploading a simple blink sketch and it didn't take. I removed the ICSP header on it so I can't test it that way at the moment. Now I'm back to an unrecognized device in device manager. Still thinking the ftdi chip is the culprit.
Check if the TEST pin (26) on the FTDI is grounded, if not ground it

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=3765
Jul 25, 2013, 03:06 PM
So I just so happened to be playing around with using a Pro Micro , which uses an Atmega32U4 and has similar functions as a Pro Mini but with onboard USB. It's single-sided and smaller than a Nano. Then miru came along with revision 0.20/0.21 and of course he is using this microcontroller in his MiruPCB. What a stroke of fortune then. So this evening I simply checked the pin assignments on the datasheet, connected a few jumper cables, loaded the 0.21 sketch and bingo, setup works. I haven't connected everything up all at the same time yet and haven't tested the serial connection to the drone - just the receiver (6 channels, VCC, ground) in setup.

The pins for Vin, GND, TX and RX are in the same position as the Pro Mini and so LLCs will connect up in the same way (including Miru's). Other pins are in different positions, I guess they can be reassigned but in the interest of keeping things simple and using Miru's sketch as-is, these are the ones Miru's existing 32U4 support uses:
THRO D15
AILE D16
ELEV D14
RUDD D8
GEAR D9
AUX1 D10
GPS TX D4
VLBA D12
GSWO D6
GPS RX D7
DBG1 A1
DBG0 A0

By the way, what conditions cause the mod to go into setup? I noticed I didn't have to ground any pins when I was testing it, I've never noticed whether that is normal behaviour or not?
Jul 25, 2013, 04:10 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyj
By the way, what conditions cause the mod to go into setup? I noticed I didn't have to ground any pins when I was testing it, I've never noticed whether that is normal behaviour or not?
When the code for the Micro detects the USB connection it enters SETUP mode. Therefore no jumper needed.
Jul 25, 2013, 05:37 PM
Quote:
When the code for the Micro detects the USB connection it enters SETUP mode. Therefore no jumper needed.
OK great, thanks. I did a test take off from my hand, and it works fine. Just waiting for a RX to arrive before I install permanently. The only problem I can see at the moment is there's no status LED.

A bit messy but never mind. Soldering ain't my forte
Name: IMG_0671.jpg
Views: 122
Size: 152.6 KB
Description:
Jul 25, 2013, 09:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawelsky
Check if the TEST pin (26) on the FTDI is grounded, if not ground it

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=3765
Thanks for the tip. Tried it out and it still didn't work. I got frustrated and just started pushing on the connection points of the ftdi chip and then all of a sudden the computer recognized it and I was able to upload the sketch and even established a serial connection and tested everything. So I have no idea what the actual problem is; it's either a bad solder joint, bad ftdi chip or a bad trace but everything looks OK to the naked eye. I haven't tried plugging it in since so who knows what will happen next time but for now, I'm all set.

Eric
Jul 26, 2013, 04:14 AM
Quote:
Thanks for the tip. Tried it out and it still didn't work. I got frustrated and just started pushing on the connection points of the ftdi chip and then all of a sudden the computer recognized it and I was able to upload the sketch and even established a serial connection and tested everything. So I have no idea what the actual problem is; it's either a bad solder joint, bad ftdi chip or a bad trace but everything looks OK to the naked eye. I haven't tried plugging it in since so who knows what will happen next time but for now, I'm all set.

Eric
Electronics, we love 'em
Jul 27, 2013, 11:58 AM
Old age ain't for sissies.

RTH with MiruMod ver 0.21

I've twice attempted this control function; RTH.

First time appeared to be flying to home then overshot home and crashed into tree.

Second time moved 90 to home vector and crashed into my garage.

I'm flying in a rather confined tree cover area; but they are my trees and I can cut one down if necessary!

I've seen Miru mention a home position of 15 meters. I don't know if its radius or diameter. But if it is a radius of 15 meters that is a circle of almost 100 ft. !

How much area does the Drone need to RTH?
Jul 27, 2013, 02:01 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl334
I've twice attempted this control function; RTH.

First time appeared to be flying to home then overshot home and crashed into tree.

Second time moved 90 to home vector and crashed into my garage.

I'm flying in a rather confined tree cover area; but they are my trees and I can cut one down if necessary!

I've seen Miru mention a home position of 15 meters. I don't know if its radius or diameter. But if it is a radius of 15 meters that is a circle of almost 100 ft. !

How much area does the Drone need to RTH?
Close quarters are not a good place to try out the RTH function. If you are not more than 20...30 m away from home the function is not going to work very well. I test by going more than 100 m away and 30 m up so there are no obstacles. As I was mentioning before, the AT command interface to the drone is very slow, it takes about 2 to 3 seconds for seeing the effect of a steering command in the GPS coordinates. You also need to take into account, that the GPS might be jumping...
Last edited by miru; Jul 27, 2013 at 06:33 PM.
Jul 30, 2013, 06:11 PM
XR-4Drone.com

Flight Recorder

Has anyone tried to use the Parrot Flight recorder with the mod?

Thanks
Jul 31, 2013, 04:54 AM
Yeah, I have been using 021 with the mod and the ipad and iphone now connect to the drone with this update.
Not tested at height yet due to high to too windy here last few weeks, but I assume the Flight recorder's stabilization is still used at height with the mod?

One thing I did notice though is the video is saved to the Recorder's usb okay, but does not show up in the Freeflight app.

For now I just removed a few lines in the sketch that was to do with controlling the usb video record and now at start of flight I can push record on app on my iphone or ipad and the video is saved on the usb recorder and I can see it in app and also the gps flight info for the academy playback with gps info etc.

Maybe in a future Miru update it can have a option to get around this or is the only way for the recorder to save gps info if its started from the app itself??
Although the drone seems to save each gps flight info under the /data/video/boxes directory on the drone itself for each flight.

Anyway just waiting for a calm day so I can use the mod and gps at height to see how it works

As always thanks to Miru for his updates

Quote:
Originally Posted by dante1
Has anyone tried to use the Parrot Flight recorder with the mod?

Thanks
Aug 01, 2013, 07:56 AM
will this gps hold position below 30m? how much drift from the position usually occurs or is it pretty much within a 5-10ft radius of the coordinates?

Quick Reply