Jul 30, 2012, 03:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandigan
Any reason to get the Pro Mini rather than the Nano, or vice-versa?
I have got the pro mini's coming for another project ( Building a laser intruder alarm with my eight year old grandson, to keep his sister out of his room!! ).

The other reason for getting a nano, rather than a pro mini, is if you intend to use GPS module. The nano can handle the extra power drain, and has a 5v and a 3.3v output.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 30, 2012, 09:13 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawelsky
It is a bit smaller, lighter and you can probably get it a bit cheaper, other than that Nano seems better.
If you are doing anything more with the mod but just enjoying the better control you are better off with a Nano because of the better power regulator and the 3.3V the FTDI chip produces for a GPS.
Jul 31, 2012, 02:59 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by miru
If you are doing anything more with the mod but just enjoying the better control you are better off with a Nano because of the better power regulator and the 3.3V the FTDI chip produces for a GPS.
Well, I have 2x drone 1.0s, so I got one of each.

I may have made a mistake. Although in the hardware section it says only the Nano outputs 5v and 3.5v for GPS - from Sparkfun - everyone else seems to be selling the v2 Enhanced version that is 3.5v/5v adjustable. I got mine from ebay, but it looks like this: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/prod...572979702.html

This v2 Enhanced version is 'Arduino-compatible', so am I going to run into problems later?
Last edited by Brandigan; Jul 31, 2012 at 03:04 PM.
Jul 31, 2012, 03:25 PM
Makers gonna make...
Quote:
This v2 Enhanced version is 'Arduino-compatible', so am I going to run into problems later?
As long as you keep it configured for 5V I believe you should be OK.

With 3.3V configuration miru pointed out potential problems with the MEGA368p processor running at 16MHz and also your RX may require more than 3.3V to operate properly.

Of course you won't be able to use GPS with it without external power source.
Last edited by pawelsky; Jul 31, 2012 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Added note about GPS
Jul 31, 2012, 06:09 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
As long as you keep it configured for 5V I believe you should be OK.

With 3.3V configuration miru pointed out potential problems with the MEGA368p processor running at 16MHz and also your RX may require more than 3.3V to operate properly.

Of course you won't be able to use GPS with it without external power source.
Ah, I see. Thanks. The Pro Mini v2 is one or the other and the Nano is both.
Aug 01, 2012, 11:56 AM
Hey all!
I have drone 1.0 and I would like to fly it with Spectrum DX7 but I have a little problem...

my hardware:
Spectrum DX7
AR7000
Arduino Pro mini 5v from sparkfun

updated drone to latest (1.11.3)
DRS018

Now the problem(s):
almost every time I power up the drone, my receiver unbinds. it's not every time but it seems it unbinds every time I power up dx7 before drone. And some times it's randomly.
Next problem I have is actually getting drone to ready state. Most of the time it boots up and when I power up DX7, red light shows on motors and drone. And sometimes it doesnt even get to this state.. red all the way..
Once I manage to get it to ready state, DX7 powered up, but when I flipped switch from LAND to FM1, motors powered up for a second and stopped.. all read again

Does any1 have any idea what could be wrong here? did I missed something?
Aug 02, 2012, 03:36 AM
Makers gonna make...
Quote:
Originally Posted by izotech
almost every time I power up the drone, my receiver unbinds. it's not every time but it seems it unbinds every time I power up dx7 before drone. And some times it's randomly.
Next problem I have is actually getting drone to ready state. Most of the time it boots up and when I power up DX7, red light shows on motors and drone. And sometimes it doesnt even get to this state.. red all the way..
Once I manage to get it to ready state, DX7 powered up, but when I flipped switch from LAND to FM1, motors powered up for a second and stopped.. all read again

Does any1 have any idea what could be wrong here? did I missed something?
Did you check the with the PC terminal in the setup mode? Does everything work fine there?
Aug 02, 2012, 11:58 AM
Suspended Account
This is embarrassing, but I'm stuck at stage 0.

I have an Arduino Nano v3.0 AVR ATMEGA328 P-20AU

I plug it in. I have a blue solid light and a flashing white light. Is this good?
I download the mod files - is there a preferred path for it to be in? I extracted the contents into arduino-1.0.1\libraries\drs018
I add the sketch from where I extracted it, Select Arduino Nano w/ ATmega 328 from Tools (missing from the instructions on the software page, but mentioned in the .pdfs for the Pro Mini) upload it and get this error:
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

Are there any more up to date/complete docs?
Aug 02, 2012, 12:50 PM
Makers gonna make...
Quote:
get this error:
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
That usually means no communication with the board - did you select the correct COM port?
Aug 02, 2012, 02:08 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
That usually means no communication with the board - did you select the correct COM port?
I had selected a COM port. I had a choice of either 1 or 26 and chose 1. Just changed it to 26 and hurrah! Thanks!
Aug 03, 2012, 03:25 AM
Quote:
Did you check the with the PC terminal in the setup mode? Does everything work fine there?
Setup mode works as it should. I have a bad felling that there is a problem with connection to drone... like some of the bits would get lost on the way... Will make all connections again from the start and try again.

or maby.. since I use AR7000 rx (DualLink dual frequency diversity system), is it possible that there's not enaugh power?
Aug 03, 2012, 04:44 AM
Makers gonna make...
Quote:
Originally Posted by izotech
or maby.. since I use AR7000 rx (DualLink dual frequency diversity system), is it possible that there's not enaugh power?
Did you try to measure the current your RX draws while the mod is connected to PC?

EDIT: I've just read on one of the forums that the AR7000 rx draws about 50mA without anything connected. Given that the current the Pro Mini regulator can provide is only about 57mA, indeed you may have power problems.
Last edited by pawelsky; Aug 03, 2012 at 07:55 AM. Reason: Adde comment about AR7000 current draw.
Aug 04, 2012, 03:15 PM

ArDrone 608ft high flight over Barry Island beach

Hey guys,

I thought I'd share my highest ever drone flight

ArDrone 608ft high flight over Barry Island beach (3 min 31 sec)
Aug 04, 2012, 04:11 PM
great stuff, nice score too. Thoroughly enjoyed that from start to finish, thanks!
Aug 04, 2012, 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHTizzy
great stuff, nice score too. Thoroughly enjoyed that from start to finish, thanks!
Thanks Tizzy, I'm glad you enjoyed watching.....it was a good flight

Quick Reply