Mar 18, 2012, 03:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolluS View Post
If you wish to have a miles one, while waiting for it you may plug arduino in SETUP mode and check your radio setup.
Rollus: you're suggestion is great idea, but I don't know how to do it.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 18, 2012, 03:14 PM
I have one of those Arduino Nano boards with pins already soldered.

Looking at the diagrams, it does not really show how the resistors are soldered. Does this matter? Also, I got my resistors(4.7k-Ohm, 1/4 watt, 5% tolerance) from Radio Shack. I hope it's the right one.
Mar 18, 2012, 03:44 PM
The arduino nano provides a usb interface. Just attach it to your computer with a jumper like it's shown in MIRU's diagram.

For the 4.7k resistor, just follow the wiring diagram to . AFAIC I've soldiered it on the cable.
Mar 18, 2012, 07:01 PM

Auto land/loss of control

Quote:
Originally Posted by miru View Post
The reasons for an 'auto' land from the mod's side are:
a) flight mode LAND gets activated, could be a loose wire, bad solderjoint
b) RX signals corrupted, again, loose wire, bad contact on one of the channels, use SETUP mode and wiggle all the wires.
c) RX looses contact to TX, unlikely if you are close, but it does happen...
d) VLBA kicks in, you would see the drones motorlights blinking red while it lands, they may go back to green once the motors shut off and the battery recovers.
Observe what happens when it 'auto' lands and try to launch it again, what do you have to do to get it back up?
Hi Miru and forum,

I am also suffering from the auto land problem, and have been discussing it on AR.Drone flyers forum at:
http://www.ardrone-flyers.com/forum/...php?f=7&t=2600

I have checked the possible causes you mention above, and think I have ruled them out. I have only just worked out that I may be suffering from two separate problems.

If I'm flying low and close enough to myself that I can see the motor led's, I see them start to flash green and the drone lands. As mentioned by others I can then reset the land switch, centre the throttle and then take off again as normal. This is without any idev connections (If I do connect to freeflight I am guaranteed an auto land within 1 to 30 seconds).

I have had a few crashes that I have attributed to this problem occurring at high altitude. The drone stops responding to directional control, but will usually respond to a "LAND" command or an "EMERGENCY". One of the crashes was more of a hard landing than crash. When I got to the drone after this incident all 4 motor led's were green, but the drone would not respond to any commands. I tried resetting gyro's, user emergency, and taking off. I had to unplug, and plug back in the drones battery, after which the drone took off and flew normally.
Later that morning I had a more serious problem. I was flying fairly high, when I lost control. The drone just started drifting with the wind, which was quite fast at that height, and headed for some woods. After 10-15 seconds of trying to get control back I hit the "LAND" switch, which in the past has brought the drone down quite quickly. Today though this didn't seem to make any difference and the drone kept drifting so I hit "EMERGENCY", and it fell from the sky like it had been shot down!

I have posted video's of 3 of these incidents at:

ArDrone drops 200ft this time!! (0 min 51 sec)

ArDrone goes out of control....AGAIN (0 min 53 sec)

Ar Drone drops from 90ft with no damage! (0 min 51 sec)

In each video just as I lose control you can hear the motors go into a cycle of up and down. each cycle takes 3.5seconds. I don't know if this means anything but I heard the same cycle on someone else's crash video at:

6 - AR.Drone Crash from High Altitude into Woods with GoPro 960 (3 min 39 sec)

I really hope you can help, as the RC mod and aerial photography are the only reasons I bought the ArDrone.
Thanks
Tony
Mar 18, 2012, 11:26 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyh0905 View Post
Hi Miru and forum,

I am also suffering from the auto land problem, and have been discussing it on AR.Drone flyers forum at:
http://www.ardrone-flyers.com/forum/...php?f=7&t=2600

I have checked the possible causes you mention above, and think I have ruled them out. I have only just worked out that I may be suffering from two separate problems.

If I'm flying low and close enough to myself that I can see the motor led's, I see them start to flash green and the drone lands. As mentioned by others I can then reset the land switch, centre the throttle and then take off again as normal. This is without any idev connections (If I do connect to freeflight I am guaranteed an auto land within 1 to 30 seconds).

I have had a few crashes that I have attributed to this problem occurring at high altitude. The drone stops responding to directional control, but will usually respond to a "LAND" command or an "EMERGENCY". One of the crashes was more of a hard landing than crash. When I got to the drone after this incident all 4 motor led's were green, but the drone would not respond to any commands. I tried resetting gyro's, user emergency, and taking off. I had to unplug, and plug back in the drones battery, after which the drone took off and flew normally.
Later that morning I had a more serious problem. I was flying fairly high, when I lost control. The drone just started drifting with the wind, which was quite fast at that height, and headed for some woods. After 10-15 seconds of trying to get control back I hit the "LAND" switch, which in the past has brought the drone down quite quickly. Today though this didn't seem to make any difference and the drone kept drifting so I hit "EMERGENCY", and it fell from the sky like it had been shot down!
Tony, I have tried to reproduce this problem without success, no matter how high or how far out I am, I am not experiencing the 'auto' land phenomenon. I think we need to find out from all people who have experienced it, what the common denominator is. To start this, please everybody who has this problem list your revision of the mod, the Arduino you are using (Nano/Pro) and RX/TX combo (AR6100/DX7, ORANGERX/..).
Last edited by miru; Mar 25, 2012 at 06:04 PM. Reason: AR6000 -> AR6100
Mar 19, 2012, 01:58 AM
Quote:
Tony, I have tried to reproduce this problem without success, no matter how high or how far out I am, I am not experiencing the 'auto' land phenomenon. I think we need to find out from all people who have experienced it, what the common denominator is. To start this, please everybody who has this problem list your revision of the mod, the Arduino you are using (Nano/Pro) and RX/TX combo (AR6000/DX7, ORANGERX/..).
Hi Miru,
I'm not sure how to find the revision of the mod, but the hardware is:
Arduino Pro Mini
AR6115 RX
DX6i TX
Drone f/w 1.7.11
Cheers
Tony
Mar 19, 2012, 05:46 AM
Quote:
Hi Miru,
I'm not sure how to find the revision of the mod, but the hardware is:
You need to plug your arduino to your computer through a ftdi and enter in the setup mode...
Mar 19, 2012, 07:15 AM
Quote:
You need to plug your arduino to your computer through a ftdi and enter in the setup mode...
I'm going to have to buy a break out board! Does this look ok?:

http://www.robotshop.com/eu/dfrobot-...paign=GoogleUK
Mar 19, 2012, 07:25 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
I'm going to have to buy a break out board! Does this look ok?:

http://www.robotshop.com/eu/dfrobot-...paign=GoogleUK
Who build your setup? Was the software modified?
Mar 19, 2012, 08:30 AM
Quote:
Who build your setup? Was the software modified?
I bought the mod online at:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AR-Drone-R...6&cmd=ViewItem

To check the points you made above I stripped the mod apart, the quality of the work is very good. I cant answer your question about the software...yet

I will buy the break out board, as I really want to get to the bottom of this problem. Did the 3.5 second cycle mean anything to you?
Mar 19, 2012, 08:56 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
I bought the mod online at:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AR-Drone-R...6&cmd=ViewItem

To check the points you made above I stripped the mod apart, the quality of the work is very good. I cant answer your question about the software...yet

I will buy the break out board, as I really want to get to the bottom of this problem. Did the 3.5 second cycle mean anything to you?
No, there is nothing I am aware of.
Mar 19, 2012, 10:03 AM
I think it is version 0.9 (at least).
This appear in 0.9:
Quote:
Visual Low Battery Alert, the threshold is set at 15% of battery capacity. Once reached the drone will start to blink the motor LEDs in red, to tell you it is time to land
The most "commercial" bundle I've seen are on this version.
It's a mess that Miru hasn't royalties for his work..
Mar 19, 2012, 01:22 PM
Quote:
To start this, please everybody who has this problem list your revision of the mod, the Arduino you are using (Nano/Pro) and RX/TX combo (AR6000/DX7, ORANGERX/..).
I have
Hitec Optic 6 / Optima 6 Lite
Arduino nano
Miru mod v 0.13 (I no edit this code)
AR.Drone fw: 1.7.6

Quote:
Were your receiver or tx module blinked? It may be a failsafe issue..
I tested failsafe. I'm flying and turn off the transmitter, the ar.drone lands. I turn on the transmitter beep and drone takes off.
But if the land spontaneous, we take off alone. I must the transmitter set land and fly and then taking off.
Mar 19, 2012, 02:17 PM
If you are on 2.4ghz, then the receiver led blinks when you loose connection (failsafe). It may be a blue led lighted instead of/in addition to red.

Miru, knowing modulation of the radio set may help: 2.4ghz, ppm, pcm..
Mar 19, 2012, 02:18 PM
Thread OP

unsolicited 'auto' land

Has anybody with a DX7/DX6i AND AR6100 receiver experienced this problem? I am asking, because if not, than I need to get a hold of another TX/RX setup for my tests...

Quick Reply