Apr 08, 2011, 09:26 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Carl Goldberg Piper Cub

This is an old Piper Cub kit that was flown in the 70's. It is still sold today by Great Planes Hobby. After many flights it was pretty well beat up with many patches and patched yellow Monokote. It was hanging in a cellar for many years with no hope for it ever flying again from it's owner. I bought 2 fuselages and 3 wings in rough shape.

First thing was to strip it all off the plane and determine what had to be done. I wanted a plane for the pond and a quick change over to wheels. I ordered a new windshield and a cowling.

After stripping you can see the fuselage looks rough with a patch over the landing gear on the fuselage. All the joints were epoxied and were very strong and in good condition. I started by installing flaps into the wing. They were plotted to fit a little deeper into the wing than the ailerons. So the first was to cut out the trailing edge after cutting back the ailerons the size I wanted.

I installed a new trailing edge for the flap hinges and extra wood and ribs for the new flaps to sit flush. The flaps were installed with a sigle servo and new control horns. Next up. A qick change nose module for fast battery removal.

**Neons** Bob
to remove ads between posts
Apr 08, 2011, 10:21 PM
Thread OP
The cowling screws are in place now. The module has the battery in ready to go.The slide pin has a friction fit and will not slide out. It needs locater tubes to accurately slide across the nose. The battery can sit in there until it is needed to go to the flight line. Just put the safety plug in and get the beep signals and go fly. Remove the pin and the module fast to change the battery again. I put candle wax on the box to smooth the removal process.
**Neons** Bob
Apr 08, 2011, 10:34 PM
Thread OP

Re-Cover the Cub and Floats

Here is the rejuvinated plane ready for a remaiden off the field.
**Neons** Bob
Apr 08, 2011, 10:40 PM
Thread OP

On Floats

Here it is on floats. I made a new aluminum rear landing bracket. Installed an enclosed servo into one float. The foats attach with 5 screws pretty fast change over. The floats are glassed and covered with chrome Monokote that is burnished with a plastic pot scrubber to tone down the chrome and give it the aluminum look. This is the clipped wing version which makes this more of a sport plane. I also have the longer 78" wing that bolts on the same holes.This is going to be a fun plane.

**Neons** Bob
Last edited by **neons**; Apr 10, 2011 at 09:52 PM.
Apr 08, 2011, 11:08 PM
Look Up!
Cool to see something like this given a new lease on life. Way to go, nice job.
Apr 08, 2011, 11:14 PM
Thread OP
Thanks gewiens,
She was an in between plane construction I had to get done before proceeding on my next bg scratchbuild. The Module conversion is the nice application n this plane. I may do more in the future. It is a great way to convert many WWI and WWII planes. Especially short nose radials.
**Neons** Bob
Apr 08, 2011, 11:28 PM
Look Up!
Good luck on the maiden. Hope you have a good flight. I know if i came across something like this , it would be priority to see her in the air again.
Apr 08, 2011, 11:38 PM
Thread OP
Thank You. i just got my new props in yesterday. I am going to fly it in the original owners backyard airfield. He will be thrilled.
**Neons** Bob
Apr 08, 2011, 11:45 PM
Look Up!
Quote:
Originally Posted by **neons**
Thank You. i just got my new props in yesterday. I am going to fly it in the original owners backyard airfield. He will be thrilled.
**Neons** Bob
I bet he'll be thrilled. Probably going to perform alot better too. Hoping i can come across something like this some day. Reminds me when my dad bought real planes that had been sitting for years in barns and in pieces and brought them back to life after 2 yrs of work. Yours is an RC plane but still kinda the same to me.
Apr 09, 2011, 08:56 PM
Look Up!
So did you get a chance to maiden today?
Apr 09, 2011, 10:00 PM
Thread OP
Yes I did. It went well for the most part. I stalled it near landing and broke my prop. It was a trial prop. 15x8 APC. I have a 15 x10 available but might be a bit much. I did not have it with me. I am ready to try again soon. I think I may go later with a 5s or 6s battery. Before I do that Iwant to try it again. Other than that I think I am close and it went pretty good. I was just thinking about making an order for the goods. I got a good video but have not uploaded it yet.
**Neons** Bob
Apr 09, 2011, 10:04 PM
Look Up!
Congrats on the maiden. I guess you have a watt meter hey? Wouldn't want to have mid air burn out.
Apr 10, 2011, 03:14 PM
Thread OP
Geweins,
Here is what the plane looked like up there. This is a large byte video so give it time to load. The plane took of with flaps and it jumped off the ground in a short distance. That is 10lbs. jumping off the ground like that. I also tested the flaps in flight and you will see it climb sharply then stall. It worked good with half flaps. I will have to program a landing program on my transmitter so it puts some elenator down with the flaps engaged. should be great for landings on water.

i do not have the whole video. It still gives good view of the plane though. I am going to try it next with a hotter 50C60C burst 4s lipoly. I am going to also give the 15 X10 prop a try so I can determine what i need for power supply and the prop size. I have a Whattmeter and the last flight only used 15 amps and was very economical on battery usage.

Filmed with my Helmet Cam.
Thanks,
**Neons** Bob
Last edited by **neons**; Apr 11, 2011 at 08:39 AM.
Apr 10, 2011, 03:28 PM
Look Up!
Looks good. Sounds like you had a bit of wind there. It's amazing with the heavier planes, you'd think they would need more runway to take off but they usually jump off the ground like a 4lb plane. My 15lb seafury is kinda the same way. Landing is another story with that one though, wants to come in abit hot. Seems like that plane could handle a 6s batt maybe no? Not that you have to use all the power but would be there if needed. What kv is that motor?

Quick Reply