Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Apr 07, 2011, 08:52 PM
Help!

I broke a part during assembly. Need help to make a new one. Ultimate 20-300.

I was gluing in the interconnect horn in the aileron of an Eflite Ultimate 20-300. The CA dried to fast and was stuck in the wrong place. I ended up breaking the part trying to remove it. Now I know I can just order the hardware bag for this plane from Horizon but I am pretty sure I can make it.

The only thing is what type of plastic to use. Is it just regular plastic or is it more permiable so that the CA adheres better? I just dont know.

I know someone here can help me with what to make it out of. Pics below show the part I am talking about.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 07, 2011, 09:08 PM
If it just slides into a slot cut in the wing, I think I would cut a new one out of some 1/16 plywood instead of plastic.
Apr 07, 2011, 09:19 PM
I thought of that, but being so thin I feel it may break. Keep in mind this is my first plane so I dont quite know yet what will and will not work.

Anybody else have an option?
Apr 07, 2011, 10:48 PM
Take an OLD credit card and cut it up into the same general shape. Sand it all down, and drill a hole through one end. Problem solved.
Latest blog entry: MPX Dogfighter clearance sale!!
Apr 07, 2011, 10:52 PM
AMA 537620
Do you already know how to fly, or are you just trying to find the quickest path to a bag of balsa bits?
Latest blog entry: Ready for test flight
Apr 08, 2011, 04:48 AM
I have flown helicopters for a couple years. I was told to get a trainer first by a bunch of people but a couple people at our field said with my experience I will be able to handle it. I have been using the sim for the two years I have been flying helis as well.

Coming from a helicopter background, where everything is carbon fiber and alluminum and bolts together has made me paranoid about using glue and wood i think.
Apr 08, 2011, 06:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelinpr
.. but a couple people at our field said with my experience I will be able to handle it.
Those people were, in all likelihood, wrong..
..a
Apr 08, 2011, 10:03 AM
AMA 537620
I'd suggest you find someone with a trainer and see if they'll take you up for a couple flights, going from heli to plane is much easier than the other way around as forward flight is very similar and there is no hovering with a fixed wing... and if you've flown them in the sim then you know this. I'd imagine you will be good to go after a couple flights, I just wouldn't recommend your very first real world flight to be on this bipe as a precautionary measure.
Apr 08, 2011, 05:19 PM
Rehab is for quitters
If you do decide to fly the ultimate, dial in some expo for the ailerons and elevator on your radio. And, make sure your control throws are not large.
First thing that new fixed wing pilots do is yank and crank the sticks. This results in a pile of wood, plastic, foam pieces that were once your model.

Lucky...
Apr 08, 2011, 06:49 PM
Thanks for the concern all on possibly bad decision. I still think I will be okay. I already have planned the first couple flights to be buddy boxed just to calm my nerves and prevent that inevitable "pile of sticks". I am also going to go just slightly under the throws suggested for normal flight. And lots of expo. At first I thought to go with a trainer but the more I looked at them the uglier they looked. I figure if I am going to have a plank, it better look nice.

Anyway............

Anyone else have an opinion on the original question?

Again, thanks for looking out for my obvious noobism.
Apr 08, 2011, 06:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy W
Those people were, in all likelihood, wrong..
..a
I plan to try to prove them right.
Apr 08, 2011, 07:09 PM
AMA 537620
Quote:
Thanks for the concern all on possibly bad decision. I still think I will be okay. I already have planned the first couple flights to be buddy boxed just to calm my nerves and prevent that inevitable "pile of sticks". I am also going to go just slightly under the throws suggested for normal flight. And lots of expo. At first I thought to go with a trainer but the more I looked at them the uglier they looked. I figure if I am going to have a plank, it better look nice.

Anyway............

Anyone else have an opinion on the original question?

Again, thanks for looking out for my obvious noobism.
I think you'll be fine if you buddy box it. You can understand as a heli pilot why we'd be concerned if you had no experience with aircraft.

Most Biplanes use a control horn to couple the ailerons, you just lop off all but the bottom most hole and use that to connect the wires.

Check out the Great Planes Christian Eagle Manual for the method I'm talking about: http://manuals.hobbico.com/gpm/gpma1431-manual.pdf
Apr 08, 2011, 07:42 PM
Sorry Chill, I am still not following what you mean in that manual as the ultimate I have only has two servos for the four ailerons. I am reffering to the piece that comes out of the aileron and connects to the link that is connecting both lower and upper aileron together.
Apr 08, 2011, 10:14 PM
AMA 537620
Quote:
Sorry Chill, I am still not following what you mean in that manual as the ultimate I have only has two servos for the four ailerons. I am reffering to the piece that comes out of the aileron and connects to the link that is connecting both lower and upper aileron together.
Sorry, I forgot they have the 4 servo setup too. Take a look at page 26 where they discuss using 2 aileron servos.
Apr 09, 2011, 07:04 AM
Thanks Chill. I didnt see the alternate set up the first time. good idea. Because everything else is installed, for now I will make one out of 1/16th inch ply. maybe later I will play with that idea. It looks better in my opinion.

Quick Reply