Apr 13, 2011, 03:35 PM
after seeing these pics, it screams to me "TWIN MOTORS"!

IF there was a way to get an extension of the shaft with the gun looking things so that they won't wobble out of balance, the integrity of the look could be kept, cooling intakes in the front "cowl" area and the weight of the motors would be up front where you want them without disturbing that really cool looking nose.

Any idea who is manufacturing the plastic toy line for this? (just curious as I d a LOT of toy prototypes for a lot of companies... maybe, just maybe, there could be some sort of a connection (I could totally see vacuum forming the fusealge, just don't have the time to do it for fun and to sell them would be a copyright infringement.)

Best,
Richard

Doesn't mean you can't vacuum form a body set yourself for personal use! lol! =D
to remove ads between posts
Apr 13, 2011, 03:58 PM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
Richard, its made by Spin Master toys. you know anyone there?
Apr 13, 2011, 05:39 PM
Rorschach's Journal
Thread OP
Those galleries are awesome. Still waiting on the foam to get here. Not going to order the electronics until my tax return gets here, which shouldn't be too long.
Apr 14, 2011, 07:59 PM
Derk,
I can't talk about it..

(Really!)

Back to work here.

Richard
Apr 18, 2011, 12:46 AM
352nd FG Association
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarel design
after seeing these pics, it screams to me "TWIN MOTORS"!

IF there was a way to get an extension of the shaft with the gun looking things so that they won't wobble out of balance, the integrity of the look could be kept, cooling intakes in the front "cowl" area and the weight of the motors would be up front where you want them without disturbing that really cool looking nose.

Any idea who is manufacturing the plastic toy line for this? (just curious as I d a LOT of toy prototypes for a lot of companies... maybe, just maybe, there could be some sort of a connection (I could totally see vacuum forming the fusealge, just don't have the time to do it for fun and to sell them would be a copyright infringement.)

Best,
Richard

Doesn't mean you can't vacuum form a body set yourself for personal use! lol! =D
I see three options:

1. Single Motor Pusher

2. Single EDF

3. Twin Tractor Motor

I'm also thinking 44" wingspan.
Apr 18, 2011, 10:53 AM
I'd go for the twin counter rotating, mounted on those pods things too. With the weight needing to be up there, it would also have enough clearance between them if Air-Hogs/ITC type components were used. In fact, that's going to be my plan for one of these, merely for the differential thrust and no tail controls simplicity...you've picked a winner to model on the 2 channel side perhaps !
A blacklight enabled paint scheme and a blacklight source to show the lines off would fit with Derk's suggestion. At least while on the ground it would have that striking glow look to it.

More well wishes for this project from over here
Apr 18, 2011, 12:50 PM
Rorschach's Journal
Thread OP
I got the foam in. Gonna start drawing/cutting while my daughter's asleep. Probably gonna take a few days, but I hope to have the airframe by friday.

It's been fairly windy here for a few weeks now, and the more times I try, the more I realize i'm not good enough to fly in it, so maiden is probably gonna be a ways off, unfortunately.
Apr 19, 2011, 05:17 PM
I think this plane might be cooler if it was a canard. You could basically keep the same planform. You could even have the cockpit placed right where it is but have the front of the windshield facing the canard. Then you would have two pusher props. Also since your CG would be shifted toward the other direction your radio placement would be easier because your weight distribution would be easier to manage. You would want to keep your canard flat and add one or probably two vertical rudders to the rear.

Oh jeez, I didn't realize until just now that this is a scale-fantasy model and that turning it into a canard would be really awkward for movie fans! LOL. I still think the planform would be really cool as a canard though.

Marlin
May 08, 2011, 12:10 AM
Rorschach's Journal
Thread OP
Holy progress has been slower than I'd hoped. I've had NO free time the past few weeks. Got a small update though.

Fuse is cut out and partially assembled.

HK gear is in the city, but I keep missing the postman, so gonna have to go pick it up Monday at the post office.

In the movie, when the jet first takes off, you get a shot from the back, and the v-tail is pretty steep, so that's how I set mine up.

Also ordered an Orange RX. As much as I like the ar6400, I can take the money I saved from not buying the brick, and put it towards a Dx6. Pretty sure the one I ordered is from the batch that's been having issues with staying bound, but won't find out for a few days.

I think that's everything. Sorry, no pictures yet, but I'll try to get some up in the next few days.
Feb 21, 2012, 06:50 AM
Hmmmm... I wonder...
Did you make any progress on the Light Jet??

Just finished watching the movie (Which was much better when not in that cheesy 3D crap ) and when I saw the Light Jet, I thought... Yep that'd make a nice project...

Though to dispense with the motor issues, Im thinking a slope soarer...
2 birds 1 stone... as Ive been planning on building a slopey for a while now...
Feb 22, 2012, 11:11 PM
M16 CIII/AR15/FN 2000 and PS90
Just curious but what part of a 44in ws have to do with micro?. Your equipment yes the plane ?. Though It certainly sounds interesting.
Oct 23, 2013, 04:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarel design
PS: regarding dihedral and "fly-ability"... remember... "smoke and mirrors" LOL! It's all done with smoke and mirrors...

just because the art director on a film or the lead designer at a toy company draws it a certain way, (unless it was specifically designed to be flown, use all the resources you can (Some GREAT designers/builders here already on this thread!) and adapt the design to your performance needs... don't get caught up in following what I call "reference" photos or models...
So, what are you saying re: dihedrals on the rc ship?
Jun 08, 2014, 03:00 PM
SG Talon... Super Genius.
I built one of these as a profile plane a couple years ago. Check it out.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...0#post28590440
Jun 10, 2014, 04:04 PM
Weltherrschaft will be mine
I would set up the tail as aregular v tail and look for a dxxx ( or a 9x with orange module..... 9x rulz or a devo 6 or 7 with devolution all cheaper and more ve rsatile)
as for the lights , here in germany u get ugly lampds that consist of a set of colorchanging LEDs with a bundle of around 300-400 glasfiber rods ( length around 25cm dia arond 2mm)planted on top..... the lava lamp of today search the net for such a lamp. 10-20 rods and a few leds could do the job as these fiber emitt light to the side too.
Oct 18, 2015, 08:43 AM
Ken's CAD Models

Quick Reply