Apr 09, 2011, 12:05 AM
Post Digger
your comment reminds me of this video I saw a few months ago

Flying RC Trucks (1 min 12 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Apr 10, 2011, 09:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PierceOConnell
And if I do get a computerized radio, if anything it'll be a DX5e, unless I can find a 6i for pretty cheap. I cant really justify a more expensive radio for my small planes that fly without a computer radio, and I just don't have the time to go anywhere but the park by my apartment to fly. It's about the size of a football field, but theres always people there, so smaller birds are pretty much I can comfortably fit. so aileron and elevator much be a bigger pain to work out, but it's pretty much all I can do right now.
Just something to keep in mind, the AR6400 boards are rudder/elevator on the board. Without a DX6i or better you'll need a standalone aileron servo (or one on each wing).

Looks like an awesome project though, hope to see it flying!
Apr 10, 2011, 09:43 AM
Flash, AAAAAAAAAAAHhhhhhhhhh
Quote:
Originally Posted by PierceOConnell
And if I do get a computerized radio, if anything it'll be a DX5e, unless I can find a 6i for pretty cheap. I cant really justify a more expensive radio for my small planes that fly without a computer radio, and I just don't have the time to go anywhere but the park by my apartment to fly. It's about the size of a football field, but theres always people there, so smaller birds are pretty much I can comfortably fit. so aileron and elevator much be a bigger pain to work out, but it's pretty much all I can do right now.

just so you know the dx5e is not a computer radio. it is quite literally no better than the stock rtf radio when it comes to micros. the dx6i can be find for around $100 on hte classifieds and is a great deal. whatever you do do not get the dx5e.
Apr 10, 2011, 02:51 PM
Rorschach's Journal
Thread OP
Alright. Got some very basic 3 views done. Foam should be on the way soon.

I went to a hockey game a week ago, and they had one of those blimps out during halftime. Seemed like it would be fun to do fly in a big arena lol.

I have a as2000 linear servo around here somewhere. I'll have to dig it out...

Good to know about the Dx5... I haven't done a whole lot of research into a new one, the ones I have have always been enough.
Apr 10, 2011, 04:47 PM
352nd FG Association
Man if only you had a programmable Tx! You could look at the RCPowers Stealth foamy and use that exact set up for the V-tail config.

At 20" wingspan, put a Grayson or BP Hobby 2212-06 in the back. Use a 1300mAp 25-30C lipo and 30-40amp ESC up front. And then 2 micro servos.

I've got to try a build on this thing too. I really think it can work.
Apr 10, 2011, 05:03 PM
352nd FG Association
Just bought two at this link for a whopping total + shipping of $7.49.

Should help with getting ideas for the build. Even though it's VERY small:•1/4'' H x 5'' W x 2'' L

http://www.disneystore.com/tron-lega...C10676026%257C
Last edited by Moonbeam; Apr 10, 2011 at 05:13 PM.
Apr 10, 2011, 05:09 PM
Post Digger
I like the one man version with the big intake scoop. you could scale it up and stick a EDF 40 in there pretty easily.
Apr 10, 2011, 05:45 PM
complet beginer
Quote:
I don't have a computerized radio, so using a V-tail is out.
you know you can buy onbord v-tail and elevon mixers.
Apr 10, 2011, 06:14 PM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolomojo
you know you can buy onbord v-tail and elevon mixers.
not if he plans on using the spektrum brick as he posted earlier
Apr 10, 2011, 09:07 PM
I like the idea, also, are there plans for those flying trucks?
Apr 10, 2011, 11:33 PM
Rorschach's Journal
Thread OP
The way things are right now, at least for the next few months, I can get either a dx6i, or the components for the build. The foams already coming, so I'll build the model. May get the tx now and stick the airframe on a shelf for a few months.
Haven't decided yet I guess...
Apr 11, 2011, 06:49 AM
this might help
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1357744
Apr 11, 2011, 11:43 AM
Post Digger
yeah I think it would be a lot more "do able" in a larger scale. There's just a lot of weight restrictions in the micro size. Building a limited control one in the micro scale would seem challenging but possible. Getting your full 4 channel flight control set or even a 3 channel is going to be tricky. Everyone has their Everest to climb though. Make sure to document and keep us posted.
Apr 11, 2011, 12:09 PM
a couple of ideas.

The V-tail (I'm assuming the main swing is in front?) is way too shallow to provide any lateral (rudder) stability, You could "hide" twin rudders by makeing them out of clear plastic (Any commercial product encased in a hard shell plastic package could be used... stiff, flexible and clear...

As for size, I agree about the micro being very sensitive to weight, I created a micro Ryan kit that although flies well, would probably not with another ounce of weight.

Because of that, I've committed to creating a new line of kits using 10 gram motors like the HK 1811 2000kv brushless and 350ma~360ma Zippy and Rhino 2S Lipos ($2 and $5 ea). With a cheap (orange HK micro dsm2 receiver ($13), 3.8gr servos $3 ea etc, I've upped the scale to 24"~28" and have fallen in love with the performance!!!! And the components are CHEAP!

Here's a photo of the micro ryan and the new size micro UAV (The UAV has a keychain camera and still comes in at 3oz...)

PLEASE don't ask me here about either of these... I totally want to respect this thread and where it's going... just wanted to share the difference between going with the tiny ar64oo system and what's possible by upping the size a little before you proceed to build this great Tron plane!

Still watching, still subscribed... even if I don't respond much (Just way too busy..) BUT, I LOVE what you're doing here! If I see where you come to an obstacle and I have anything to offer, I will.

I definitely see an issue with lateral control using the scale shallow V-Tail... clear verticals would be a way to preserve the look while providing the stability needed for rc flight.

Best,
Richard
Apr 11, 2011, 12:58 PM
Rorschach's Journal
Thread OP
MiamiRacer, that is awesome.

I'd love to go larger, but I dont have a whole lot of room. I may scale it up a few inches anyway. I don't need it to really haul, so maybe up it to 25" ws with a thicker airfoil and keep the mossie motors? As long as the weight stays pretty slim, the brick should be ok... Or i'll just get the HK spektrum compatible rx and some small brushless motors.

Clear verticals... I hadn't thought about those. Now that I think about it, I saw an X-wing pusher a long while back that had clear canards and clear vertical stabs... that's not a bad idea at all...

Ugh, so many options haha.

Quick Reply