This thread is privately moderated by Jim T., who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Apr 06, 2011, 11:17 AM
Trader Rating: 17
Shining a light on the hobby.
Thread OP
Discussion

We Recommend Against Using PayPal's "Gift" Option

We recommend against using PayPal's Gift Option
We advise against agreeing to make payment for an item by using the PayPal gift option. Sales that use the gift option are not protected under PayPal's rules. Trying to save a few dollars may cost you far more money!
to remove ads between posts
Apr 06, 2011, 04:33 PM
Trader Rating: 398
Dragons, WindMills, all Same
Nice Sticky Jim.
Very true and especially for the buyer with a Gift payment.
Plus, for the seller, avoiding fee's can also result in no limited protection too.

Fraud is wronge. Just don't do it and there is no problem.

IMO

Jared
Apr 06, 2011, 04:40 PM
Trader Rating: 176
I think I go fly

never requested

It should not be requested that the payment be sent as a gift,

and if it is accepted as one the user may also loose there paypal account as well.

Mike
Apr 09, 2011, 11:57 AM
Trader Rating: 286
I personally hate getting paid with the PayPal gift option.

For one, it doesn't give you the buyers address when they send the payment as a gift.
2nd, you cannot print out a PayPal shipping label if the buyer sends you the payment as a gift.

So IMO, it's a bit of a hastle when somebody sends me a payment marked as a gift. I never request it, but I would say about half of the people who buy items from me automatically mark the payment as gift. PayPal fees don't bother me as I price my items with the fees included.

Just my $0.02

Bill
Apr 09, 2011, 12:32 PM
Trader Rating: 398
Dragons, WindMills, all Same
Yes Bill, and then there is that too.

Termite did a thread months past on just this and the extra time involded in doing so, about 20 minutes or so.
I have had to add the line in my listings now for reqular PayPal payment only, No Gift, as well as shipping Only to the PayPal confirmed addie. Period!!!

If some does send a Gift then send the Gift right back. Takes a whole lot less time then logging onto on'es USPS account and hand typing and payment for a label; Simple

I call it PITA time, and I don't mean Hot

Jared
Apr 11, 2011, 10:20 AM
Trader Rating: 46
yeap it is a good wake up call Jim,
Apr 16, 2011, 08:47 AM
Trader Rating: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim t. Graham
we recommend against using paypal's gift option
we advise against agreeing to make payment for an item by using the paypal gift option. Sales that use the gift option are not protected under paypal's rules. Trying to save a few dollars may cost you far more money!
+1....
Apr 19, 2011, 08:36 AM
Trader Rating: 2
Suspended Account
Paypal is excellent. Gifting when you are actually buying is not smart. The person does not have to send you any thing at all. So why risk it, especially if there is serioud damage they decieved you about. just do your transactions truthfully, through paypal payments.
Apr 23, 2011, 04:51 PM
Trader Rating: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim T. Graham
We recommend against using PayPal's Gift Option
We advise against agreeing to make payment for an item by using the PayPal gift option. Sales that use the gift option are not protected under PayPal's rules. Trying to save a few dollars may cost you far more money!
No truer words spoken concerning the gift option!!!
Apr 29, 2011, 03:53 PM
Trader Rating: 43
I always add 3% to what I pay via pay pal to cover any fees so that everyone is happy!

I never send $$ as a gift. I have always had luck here on this site, but I have had issues on other sites.
Jul 23, 2011, 11:04 AM
Trader Rating: 34
45 Years of Crashing Aircraft!
I agree your should never pay as gift for anything, and if some asks for you to pay as a gift I report them to PayPal! Plus if someone asks for PayPal fees I report them also, this is against PayPal policy. I usually will add a few bucks to the total if the item price is tight. But many like myself figure in the paypal fees into the price. This is called "Cost of doing Business" folks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4075aaron
I always add 3% to what I pay via pay pal to cover any fees so that everyone is happy!

I never send $$ as a gift. I have always had luck here on this site, but I have had issues on other sites.
Aug 15, 2011, 08:51 PM
Trader Rating: 0
I doesn't matter which way we send it in Australia we aren't covered by anything. Their rules state an item has to go to a Paypal Confirmed address. Even though I've been a customer of Paypal since it before it arrived in Australia and probably spent $15,000.00 since. My address is still not confirmed and neither is any Aussie.

A bit of false advertising when their scam to get us to join up is that protection. They must think of us as second grade customers because they sure treat us as one.

I actually joined Paypal before it came to Australia. I had to send photcopies of all sorts of documents etc. Thenthey arrived and they made me join again. I did so but they refused my membership saying someone else was using my Visa card. I asked them if by any stretch of the imagination a person with my exact name, the same address, the same age, the same phone number and the same driver's licence could possibly be the same person they took almost 4 months to come to the conclusion I had to get a new credit card because this other person still owned it. About 40 emails were exchanged over that and when I asked if they could simply cancel the other member using my Visa card and insert my info (the same) I was informed their computer couldn't do that because they couldn't contact the other person to verify it.. DUH! I had to lose my credit and register with the new one.

Stu
Aug 17, 2011, 06:06 PM
Trader Rating: 35
Support Your Local Hobby Shops
Last edited by aero104; Mar 14, 2013 at 03:17 PM.
Sep 17, 2011, 10:56 AM
Trader Rating: 34
"Heli-Pimp"
I've been a paypal verified business for nine years, never even knew such an option existed, kinda defeats the purpose of buyer and seller protection though... I did notice paypal raised its fees... Thanks for the heads up, Ken
Oct 15, 2011, 02:01 AM
Trader Rating: 29
I always just figured if someone asks me to lie to paypal, and call a transaction a gift, then I figure they would be ok lying to me about their product. If they ask me to lie, I just don't buy!

Quick Reply