Thread Tools
Old Aug 27, 2011, 08:43 AM
DeeBee1 is offline
Find More Posts by DeeBee1
Registered User
DeeBee1's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery View Post
If anyone has bought a CS Mills (Miller? ) engine in the past few months, please let us know what you think of it!
I own three (2 x 0.75cc and 1 x 1.3cc). Mine all start well after running in and seem to be of a good quality. I've never measured the RPM or anything like that, but they get models into the air and keep them there until the fuel runs out I also have a couple of Auroras and an original Mills, and the CS engines seem to run just as well.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2011, 02:47 PM
Balsabird is offline
Find More Posts by Balsabird
Balsadustus Producerus
I bought a CS Mills .75 from Ed Carlson about two months ago, and it runs rather well. Initial break-in runs were only on prime fuel but later efforts resulted in running out the tank repeatedly, once I notched the fuel pickup tube slightly (it was too long and closed itself off on the tank bottom). It has about 30 tanks run through it now and I've gone to running it just because I like to, as the intended airplane, a Tomboy, is not yet built. The only thing I've run into is sometimes I can't back off the compression--I unscrew the adjustment but the contrapiston does not move up to reduce compression. I called Ed about that and he suggested refitting the contrapiston carefully, but I'll have to manufacture some kind of clamp-wrench to remove the headfins without damaging them. Just haven't gotten around to doing it yet.

On standard Aerodyne fuel, with a black square-tip Cox 7x3 1/2 nylon prop I tach it around 74-7600 rpm, density altitude around 2400 msl and near 76 degree day.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 06:28 PM
Gluehand is online now
Find More Posts by Gluehand
Registered User
Gluehand's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balsabird View Post
I unscrew the adjustment but the contrapiston does not move up to reduce compression.
Less likely, but it might be worth checking so that the contra piston isn't made of alu alloy, which has a higher heat expansion than steel/iron, obviously making the cp lock to the liner when hot.... (I hope this isn't the case...)
To mention an example, this was the case on an early version of the Hungarian 1 cc "VT-8" diesel...needless to say, they soon had to change this poor choice of material...

------------------------------------------------------------------------


Quote:
Originally Posted by Balsabird View Post
I'll have to manufacture some kind of clamp-wrench to remove the headfins without damaging them.
You won't need any special tool......just use a heat gun (or even a cigarette lighter with a little patience...), and when hot, grip the headfins with a piece of medium thick leather, and turn...


Last edited by Gluehand; Aug 27, 2011 at 06:49 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 01:16 PM
John Moore is offline
Find More Posts by John Moore
Registered User
John Moore's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery View Post
If anyone has bought a CS Mills (Miller? ) engine in the past few months, please let us know what you think of it!
Christmas has come early this year. I couldn't resist the 20% discount offer by CS last month and am now the proud posessor of a 'Miller' 0.5cc.
First impressions are very good, all fits seem excellent and the standard of workmanship is first class. Upon opening the crankase there was a nice diesel smell showing that the engine had been factory run.
Interestingly this engine is not a small Mills 0.75 but a reduced 1.3, making it slightly more robust IMO.
This engine is destined to pull a KK President around-lets hope it performs as well as it looks
Old Sep 12, 2011, 10:37 PM
earlwb is offline
Find More Posts by earlwb
Registered User
earlwb's Avatar
Looks pretty good.

It is interesting to note that CS does not sell directly to anyone in the USA.
USA is not listed in their registration process.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 13, 2011, 03:50 AM
Sundancer is online now
Find More Posts by Sundancer
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
Sundancer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Moore View Post
Christmas has come early this year. I couldn't resist the 20% discount offer by CS last month and am now the proud posessor of a 'Miller' 0.5cc.
First impressions are very good, all fits seem excellent and the standard of workmanship is first class. Upon opening the crankase there was a nice diesel smell showing that the engine had been factory run.
Interestingly this engine is not a small Mills 0.75 but a reduced 1.3, making it slightly more robust IMO.
This engine is destined to pull a KK President around-lets hope it performs as well as it looks
Hi John. Nice little motor. I was intrigued by your reference to a "KK President". I know the President was designed by prominent KK designer Albert E Hatfull, but thought it was published as a magazine plan. I'd be interested to know if KK ever actually did do a kit for it.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 07:50 AM
John Moore is offline
Find More Posts by John Moore
Registered User
John Moore's Avatar
Hi George,
Your quite correct, it was not a Keil Kraft kit, but knowing the Hatfull- Keil connection I typed KK without thinking.
I first saw the plan in Sam 35 year book No9, that had an article on Albert's life.
That plan did not have the rib and former drawings. I subsequently discovered that Nexus had added the completed plan to their catalogue, which was where I got my copy.
The President plan has an Amco 0.87cc as it's prime mover, as it is quite a petite model, I'm hoping the 'Miller'0.5 will be sufficient.
As we were talking about Albert Hatfull, his last model design was the Worcraft ' Scarab ' any thoughts on that one?.
John
Old Sep 13, 2011, 08:49 AM
Sundancer is online now
Find More Posts by Sundancer
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
Sundancer's Avatar
Hi John. Yes I know the Scarab, that's the one with the faired-in monowheel undercarriage. Wing shape and everything looks typical Hatfull, I do like his models. My Bantam (aka Anzac) https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1457843 is an absolute delight and gets flown a great deal.

I should think your Miller 0.5 would be fine for the President, as you say it is quite a "slight" model
Old Sep 13, 2011, 09:26 AM
Reginald is online now
Find More Posts by Reginald
Registered User
Reginald's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Moore View Post
Christmas has come early this year. I couldn't resist the 20% discount offer by CS last month and am now the proud posessor of a 'Miller' 0.5cc.
First impressions are very good, all fits seem excellent and the standard of workmanship is first class. Upon opening the crankase there was a nice diesel smell showing that the engine had been factory run.
Interestingly this engine is not a small Mills 0.75 but a reduced 1.3, making it slightly more robust IMO.
This engine is destined to pull a KK President around-lets hope it performs as well as it looks
A small tip for all diesel engine lovers. Those that have tried to unscrew those rear treaded crankcase covers on old diesels in the past will know that due to those superfine treads, it is at sometimes very difficult to do, in some cases it is impossible. Do not want to make pub for Loctite but I have started using this stuff for some time now. It funtions like a glue stick, it is some sort of aluminum coloured paste. By the way, has anyone of you in the past made a repro cover for some old British diesel and found out the tread size. And made it on a Myford or other small lathe. I'll be interested.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 04:03 PM
nitroairplane is offline
Find More Posts by nitroairplane
Tiny diesels.... I love 'em
not really a mills but a small diesel sideport of mine
Clan 0.24cc (0.015 cu in) diesel model engine tiny (5 min 54 sec)
Old Sep 14, 2011, 03:09 AM
Reginald is online now
Find More Posts by Reginald
Registered User
Reginald's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroairplane View Post
not really a mills but a small diesel sideport of mine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlWo6zNaRRI
I did have 2 Clan's and both were leaking badly on the intake tube, was made of some sort of plastic I remember, gave the engines to someone.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 03:21 AM
DeeBee1 is offline
Find More Posts by DeeBee1
Registered User
DeeBee1's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
I did have 2 Clan's and both were leaking badly on the intake tube, was made of some sort of plastic I remember, gave the engines to someone.
I had a Clan 0.48 that refused to start after hours of trying. I got it replaced and the second one just locked-up and couldn't be flipped over. They looked pretty, but never again!

I haven't heard if anyone has bought the Mills rights and tooling from Aurora yet. They went on sale early in the year. Anyone have any news?
Old Sep 14, 2011, 03:44 AM
fiery is online now
Find More Posts by fiery
Registered User
fiery's Avatar
DeeBee

I am restoring (well, reworking) a couple of big Aurora diesels to running condition. I am curious to know if they will ever be manufactured again. Basic design is sound, let down by poor QC. Just like the K-Mills. Many to most of them were paperweights out of the box. I will post a pic of re-worked example once finished and bench tested.
Last edited by fiery; Oct 05, 2011 at 04:09 PM.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 06:10 AM
DeeBee1 is offline
Find More Posts by DeeBee1
Registered User
DeeBee1's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery View Post
DeeBee

I am restoring (well, reworking) a couple of big Aurora diesels to running condition. I am curious to know if they will ever be manufactured again. Basic design is sound, let down by poor QC. Just liek the K-Mills. Many to most of them were paperweights out of the box. I will post a pic of re-worked example once finished and bench tested.
Hi Fiery,

The story so far is mostly contained in earlier posts in this thread. Following Mr Kumar's passing away, there was an advert in the BMFA newsletter earlier this year inviting offers for ownership of the Mills brand and the tooling etc. required to produce the engines. I would be surprised if no one at least bought the rights to the brand.

Good luck with the restoration
Old Sep 14, 2011, 09:52 PM
gossie is offline
Find More Posts by gossie
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeBee1 View Post
Hi Fiery,

The story so far is mostly contained in earlier posts in this thread. Following Mr Kumar's passing away, there was an advert in the BMFA newsletter earlier this year inviting offers for ownership of the Mills brand and the tooling etc. required to produce the engines. I would be surprised if no one at least bought the rights to the brand.
I thought that too, but it seems everything to produce new engines is well worn.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion didn't someone build and fly a Coro Delta with small diesel engine earlwb SPAD - Simple Plastic Airplane Designs 15 May 27, 2011 09:56 PM
Discussion Help on Mills Diesel Assembly NX-687 Engines 2 Dec 22, 2008 03:46 PM
Wanted Mills 75 Diesel Tag1260 Aircraft - Fuel - Engines and Accessories (FS/W) 3 Feb 28, 2006 07:54 PM
Mills 0.75 Diesel RC mlbco 1/2A Planes 10 Apr 02, 2005 09:20 PM